ADVERTISEMENT

Manchin could face strong challenge from GOP’s Mooney in 2024 West Virginia Senate race

WVU82

Hall of Famer
May 29, 2001

As West Virginia continues to trend more Republican with every election, Republican Rep. Alex Mooney could pose a threat to Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin’s seat in the U.S. Senate.

Manchin served as the 34th governor of West Virginia and has represented the state in the Senate since 2010. Even though the 75-year-old lawmaker has been involved in the state’s political system since the 1980s, 51-year-old Mooney plans to take advantage of West Virginia’s strong shift toward Republicans and the senator’s waning popularity when he challenges the Senate seat in 2024.

“No one believes Joe Manchin anymore,” Mooney said in a statement. “His words are sad attempts to cover his efforts to empower Joe Biden's liberal agenda.

”He literally handed Biden his biggest policy ‘win’ by supporting dramatic tax increases that will threaten the entire coal industry and the thousands of West Virginia jobs and communities it supports.”

Although Manchin won his 2010 special election by a comfortable 10-point margin and got re-elected in 2012 by a 24-point margin, he only narrowly beat his 2018 Republican challenger, Attorney General Patrick Morrisey, by three points. Since that election, the state has shifted more Republican: support for Republicans in the U.S. House jumped about nine percentage points, support for Republicans in the state Senate jumped about 14 percentage points and support for Republicans in the state House of Delegates jumped about 18 percentage points.

Manchin used to be one of the most popular senators in the county among his constituents, but his support dropped significantly in October. In the first quarter of 2022, the senator’s approval rating was nearly 60%, but last month it dropped to just 42%. The poll came after Manchin voted in favor of the Inflation Reduction Act, which was a severely watered down version of Biden’s Build Back Better proposal. Critics noted that the bill would increase taxes on the coal industry and could be used to justify stricter coal regulations from the federal government.

Mooney won his House seat easily by defeating his Democratic challenger with about two-thirds of the electorate. As a member of the staunchly conservative Freedom Caucus, Mooney also comfortably defeated fellow incumbent Rep. David McKinley in the primary after redistricting forced the two into the same district. McKinley, who received an endorsement from Manchin, was known to be a more moderate lawmaker.

“Mooney didn’t have a strong challenger in this general election, so we can’t measure his strength based on that,” Marybeth Beller, a political science professor at Marshall University in Huntington, told The Center Square. “Rather, we need to look at the primary, when he bested a long-standing, well respected moderate who had represented the (former) first district for many years. He won handily, despite having two ethics investigations in the House which are on-going.”

With the election still two years away, Beller said the outcome is far too early to predict. A lot of factors could come into plan, she added, such as the popularity of former President Donald Trump if he secures the nomination to be the Republican presidential candidate in 2024, the state of the economy on election day, the popularity of the Democratic presidential nominee and federal abortion legislation.

“Given that the Senate is so close in the Democratic-Republican divide, Senator Manchin will need to work very hard to get Democrats and Independents to continue to support him,” Beller said. “West Virginians increased the numbers of Republican legislators in both houses, but overwhelmingly defeated all four of the Republican amendments on the ballot. We cannot therefore assume that voters will punch a straight party-line ticket, which will be in Senator Manchin’s favor.”

The Senate and presidential election will be Nov. 5 in 2024.

As West Virginia continues to trend more Republican with every election, Republican Rep. Alex Mooney could pose a threat to Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin’s seat in the U.S. Senate.

Manchin served as the 34th governor of West Virginia and has represented the state in the Senate since 2010. Even though the 75-year-old lawmaker has been involved in the state’s political system since the 1980s, 51-year-old Mooney plans to take advantage of West Virginia’s strong shift toward Republicans and the senator’s waning popularity when he challenges the Senate seat in 2024.

“No one believes Joe Manchin anymore,” Mooney said in a statement. “His words are sad attempts to cover his efforts to empower Joe Biden's liberal agenda.

”He literally handed Biden his biggest policy ‘win’ by supporting dramatic tax increases that will threaten the entire coal industry and the thousands of West Virginia jobs and communities it supports.”

Although Manchin won his 2010 special election by a comfortable 10-point margin and got re-elected in 2012 by a 24-point margin, he only narrowly beat his 2018 Republican challenger, Attorney General Patrick Morrisey, by three points. Since that election, the state has shifted more Republican: support for Republicans in the U.S. House jumped about nine percentage points, support for Republicans in the state Senate jumped about 14 percentage points and support for Republicans in the state House of Delegates jumped about 18 percentage points.

Manchin used to be one of the most popular senators in the county among his constituents, but his support dropped significantly in October. In the first quarter of 2022, the senator’s approval rating was nearly 60%, but last month it dropped to just 42%. The poll came after Manchin voted in favor of the Inflation Reduction Act, which was a severely watered down version of Biden’s Build Back Better proposal. Critics noted that the bill would increase taxes on the coal industry and could be used to justify stricter coal regulations from the federal government.

Mooney won his House seat easily by defeating his Democratic challenger with about two-thirds of the electorate. As a member of the staunchly conservative Freedom Caucus, Mooney also comfortably defeated fellow incumbent Rep. David McKinley in the primary after redistricting forced the two into the same district. McKinley, who received an endorsement from Manchin, was known to be a more moderate lawmaker.

“Mooney didn’t have a strong challenger in this general election, so we can’t measure his strength based on that,” Marybeth Beller, a political science professor at Marshall University in Huntington, told The Center Square. “Rather, we need to look at the primary, when he bested a long-standing, well respected moderate who had represented the (former) first district for many years. He won handily, despite having two ethics investigations in the House which are on-going.”

With the election still two years away, Beller said the outcome is far too early to predict. A lot of factors could come into plan, she added, such as the popularity of former President Donald Trump if he secures the nomination to be the Republican presidential candidate in 2024, the state of the economy on election day, the popularity of the Democratic presidential nominee and federal abortion legislation.

“Given that the Senate is so close in the Democratic-Republican divide, Senator Manchin will need to work very hard to get Democrats and Independents to continue to support him,” Beller said. “West Virginians increased the numbers of Republican legislators in both houses, but overwhelmingly defeated all four of the Republican amendments on the ballot. We cannot therefore assume that voters will punch a straight party-line ticket, which will be in Senator Manchin’s favor.”

The Senate and presidential election will be Nov. 5 in 2024.
I doubt Mooney would beat Manchin.

Justice might.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Jesus H Christ.... not Missing Mooney.

Dude is worthless. If it's between him and Manchin. Manchin every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Reactions: Fingon
I'm just going to leave this here and hope you guys pick someone who doesn't vote with Biden on anything radical. What's Joe's opinion on the "scary AR-15" and magazine capacity?

Reactions: roadtrasheer
I'm just going to leave this here and hope you guys pick someone who doesn't vote with Biden on anything radical. What's Joe's opinion on the "scary AR-15" and magazine capacity?

Nevermind found it. Disappointed.

(CNN)Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia voiced his support Monday for raising the age to 21 for purchasing semi-automatic weapons and questioned why individuals need to own high-powered AR-15-style weapons, putting him at odds with Republicans who are resisting imposing any restrictions on access to firearms.

(CNN)Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia voiced his support Monday for raising the age to 21 for purchasing semi-automatic weapons and questioned why individuals need to own high-powered AR-15-style weapons, putting him at odds with Republicans who are resisting imposing any restrictions on access to firearms.

I'm as staunch on the 2nd Amendment as anyone... but Mooney over Manchin is an impossibility in my opinion. I want a Senator who will actually show up for WV and not play lip service.

Reactions: Fingon
I'm not certain Joe will run again for Senate. He may go for Gov again.
This is true. There is no other decent option for Dems for governor now. Joe is probably the one Democrat in WV who owould have a chance in a state wide election.

I'm as staunch on the 2nd Amendment as anyone... but Mooney over Manchin is an impossibility in my opinion. I want a Senator who will actually show up for WV and not play lip service.

Find someone better than Mooney to run if that's true. I hadn't been paying attention to how Manchin felt about the subject. Now that I know there's no way I could support him. So it appears we have some work to do as far as getting you to my level of staunch on the 2nd Amendment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Airport
Joe is probably the one Democrat in WV who owould have a chance in a state wide election.

And that's a crying shame. In the end, he'll side with his leftist-controlled Democrat party, be it the 2nd Amendment or a growing government.

He sided with them on government overreach on our 2nd Amendment and he sided with them on the Inflation Reduction Act which is nothing but a smoke screen for AOC's and Bernie Sanders' New Green Deal. How is that good for West Virginia?

Robert C. Byrd? He was a racist and member of the KKK and Manchin wants us to honor him?

Joe does what's good for Joe, not for West Virginia.

Joe has got to go.

Last edited:
And that's a crying shame. In the end, he'll side with his leftist-controlled Democrat party, be it the 2nd Amendment or a growing government.

He sided with them on government overreach on our 2nd Amendment and he sided with them on the Inflation Reduction Act which is nothing but a smoke screen for AOC's MD Bernie Sanders' New Green Deal. How is that good for West Virginia?

Robert C. Byrd? He was a racist and member of the KKK and Manchin wants us to honor him?

Joe does what's good for Joe, not for West Virginia.

Joe has got to go.
Joe will have to side with the GOP the next 2 years if he plans to win in WV so a 50-50 senate isn't a good thing for Schumer

Reactions: 30CAT

21 to buy a gun or drink a beer
3 years old to get balz cut off ..
Democrats WTF?

• Love
Reactions: 30CAT and Airport
21 to buy a gun or drink a beer
3 years old to get balz cut off ..
Democrats WTF?
I have no problem with it.....but.....it will not do anything to stop crime.
If the Dems really want to stop rampart crime......they need to get the gun out of the hands of the thugs that shoot people with them.

Chicago 2022 Year To Date
Shot & Killed: 591
Total Shot: 3263
Total Homicides: 651

Chicago November to Date
Shot & Killed: 35
Shot & Wounded: 124
Total Homicides: 35

Chicago Week in Progress (11/13 – 11/19)
Shot & Killed: 14
Total Shot: 41
Total Homicides: 14

I have no problem with it.....but.....it will not do anything to stop crime.
If the Dems really want to stop rampart crime......they need to get the gun out of the hands of the thugs that shoot people with them.

Chicago 2022 Year To Date
Shot & Killed: 591
Total Shot: 3263
Total Homicides: 651

Chicago November to Date
Shot & Killed: 35
Shot & Wounded: 124
Total Homicides: 35

Chicago Week in Progress (11/13 – 11/19)
Shot & Killed: 14
Total Shot: 41
Total Homicides: 14

I have a problem with it. FFS. The Democrats want 16 year olds to vote. The law says you are an adult at 18. Change that or they can get hell out of here with compromising away people's constitutional rights.

Yes crime is up. People are losing faith in Government. They are losing faith they walk down the street safely or even go to the grocery store without being attacked. Hence why, gun sales are hitting record numbers.

It's not the law biding guns owners that are causing that problem. People should never give up their right to defend themselves just because criminals can't stop being criminals. I don't go to step two working with any politicians who can't defend the 2nd Amendment.

If he can't or won't change his stance and promise he won't go down that road. My advice to my home State would be to fire his ass.

I have a problem with it. FFS. The Democrats want 16 year olds to vote. The law says you are an adult at 18. Change that or they can get hell out of here with compromising away people's constitutional rights.

Yes crime is up. People are losing faith in Government. They are losing faith they walk down the street safely or even go to the grocery store without being attacked. Hence why, gun sales are hitting record numbers.

It's not the law biding guns owners that are causing that problem. People should never give up their right to defend themselves just because criminals can't stop being criminals. I don't go to step two working with any politicians who can't defend the 2nd Amendment.

If he can't or won't change his stance and promise he won't go down that road. My advice to my home State would be to fire his ass.
BLM, what a joke.

Let's also not forget, Manchin voted to impeach Trump over a damned hoax, created by the left. Ultimately, he sides with a leftist agenda. It may take some bribery, like doing favors for his wife, by the left, but he has proven he will bow down to leftist radicals.

F him!

Let's also not forget, Manchin voted to impeach Trump over a damned hoax, created by the left. Ultimately, he sides with a leftist agenda. It may take some bribery, like doing favors for his wife, by the left, but he has proven he will bow down to leftist radicals.

F him!
Look at all the way left judges he has confirmed under Biden.
He'll even confirming a Supreme Court justice who don't know the difference between a woman & man ....he talks moderate & votes leftist (democrat)

I doubt Mooney would beat Manchin.

Justice might.
I agree. Mooney has baggage and doesn't have the name recognition. Justice prevails easily.

Look for Manchin to run for governor if Justice throws his hat in the ring. Manchin may run for governor anyway, knowing his chances at winning that seat may be better than the Senate. With a super-majority in the Capitol he'll have to try to make his bona-fides as either a DINO governor or pull a Justice and just switch parties hoping it doesn't backfire against him.

ADVERTISEMENT