ADVERTISEMENT

Lyons speaks

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001

Excerpt:

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) — The early part of the 2022 schedule was supposed to be West Virginia’s best opportunity at putting together only the second winning season under fourth-year coach Neal Brown.

Instead, fans are in an uproar over two close losses and the Mountaineers’ first 0-2 start since 1979, with many pleading for a coaching change.

West Virginia athletic director Shane Lyons is watching — and at least willing to see how things play out.

“I know and deeply care that our fans are frustrated with the start of the football season, but so are our coaches and student-athletes, who have busted their tails getting ready for the year,” Lyons said in a statement Monday to The Associated Press. “As athletics director, I am as disappointed as the fans, but I see how much our coaches and players care and want to win and make our fans proud.”

From the article:

Nebraska axed Scott Frost on Sunday after a 1-2 start and a 16-31 record three games into his fifth season.

Brown is 17-20. His teams have finished no higher than fifth in the Big 12 Conference. Under him, West Virginia has yet to be ranked.

If Brown is let go before the end of the season, his buyout is a whopping $20 million, one of the highest in college football. It drops to $16.7 million if he’s fired after Dec. 31.

Lyons feeling he must make a public statement shows that Brown is indeed on the hot seat.

Isn't it unbelievable how high those coaching salaries have gotten? Stanford, TA&M, ND.... wow. And the buyouts most be insane.
Reports are that Browns buyout is one of the highest in all of college football.

On another note it illustrates the need for players to receive some of the massive money being handed around.

In regards to Brown, you have to wonder if his desire to win is eliminated by his huge salary and buyout. He is Making so much off of WVU that he may never have to do anything ever again and he knows it. What’s the incentive then to work hard and win games? He is set no matter what thanks to Lyons shocking and senseless deal.

Reactions: mzman
Reports are that Browns buyout is one of the highest in all of college football.

On another note it illustrates the need for players to receive some of the massive money being handed around.

In regards to Brown, you have to wonder if his desire to win is eliminated by his huge salary and buyout. He is Making so much off of WVU that he may never have to do anything ever again and he knows it. What’s the incentive then to work hard and win games? He is set no matter what thanks to Lyons shocking and senseless deal.

Why have you never admitted the BYU thing was a hoax? I mean you called most of us nazis and racists...don't you think an apology is in order?

I’ll say it again, fire Lyons. If we can round up $20M, put it in a NIL fund and buy some wins.
I agree it may be time. Down side. Will probably lose several incoming recruits and several more than expected varsity players. No Buick fix

All you have to do is get a shot at a big job and you're set...... You don't even have to win. I can understand why Lyons may have wanted to extend Brown, but not to raise the % of the buyout. Stupid move.....

All you have to do is get a shot at a big job and you're set...... You don't even have to win. I can understand why Lyons may have wanted to extend Brown, but not to raise the % of the buyout. Stupid move.....
I don’t understand why he would have— Brown still had two or so years left and wasn’t winning and wasn’t attractive to anyone ( plus, so what if he was? He wasn’t doing anything for WVU.)

But now it’s a crisis that could take years to repair if it’s even possible. With so much realignment shaping things and USNews categorizing a Carnegie tier one research U like WVU falsely as garbage academically— not having a winning program or a perceived major market is killer.

Reactions: mzman
I don’t understand why he would have— Brown still had two or so years left and wasn’t winning and wasn’t attractive to anyone ( plus, so what if he was? He wasn’t doing anything for WVU.)

But now it’s a crisis that could take years to repair if it’s even possible. With so much realignment shaping things and USNews categorizing a Carnegie tier one research U like WVU falsely as garbage academically— not having a winning program or a perceived major market is killer.
Why are you ignoring the BYU hoax?

Don't you owe a lot of us apologizes for calling us racists and nazis?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT