ADVERTISEMENT

Losing to the Portal

Volatility

Senior
Jun 27, 2018
Charleston WV
www.equitysciences.com
Sam Brown, Devell Washington, James Thomas, & Eddie Watkins these are all good players we cannot afford to lose to the portal. Players that would have offered quality production after a few years to develop.... All 4 from the same 2020 class too....

Curious to know why these players are leaving... Is it just impatience?? Or something different... Not a good look.. I miss the days when you could actually support a player for being a Mountaineer... In some ways, its ruining what we all love about collegiate sports.. These 4 players would absolutely be productive players for us their Jun & Sen years and a big part of why I had better then average expectations for the 2020 class...

Side Note: This whole "Always a Mountaineer" phrase I hear people tossing around, that should be reserved for players who actually finish their career at WVU...

Last edited:
It's a number of things, things that impact pretty much every team across the country.

* Playing time
* Homesick, and wanting to be closer to home
* Losing games
* Not talented enough for D1 football
* Don't fit the O/D schemes
* Dislike of staff
* Missing their main squeeze (See homesick)
* Dislike of the town/city

MSU lost about 20 some players to the portal, but also added 40 new players, players that dramatically improved their team.

In today's college football, acquiring good portal talent is as important (if not more) than your annual class recruiting. (at least in filling gaps)

Herd hit on about all the reasons why people transfer.

I know some may not like it, but we should really look at this as a good thing.

If you look at the players that schools on WVU's level lose, these guys are usually career backups who want to transfer "down" to a school where they can get playing time. Of course, there are exceptions but those are the outliers rather than the rule. Those players are backups anyway, and are usually being replaced by incoming or redshirt freshmen anyhow.

What's good about it is that WVU can now compete for the transfers from Bama, the Florida schools, Oklahoma, and the schools that way outrank WVU in the level of players they recruit in both quality and number. There are still only 11 players on the field at a time. Therefore, WVU has a chance of getting the cast-offs from those schools who see the writing on the wall where they are at. If you can promise them playing time, they may be yours.

Another way this helps the WVU's of the world is that it makes those schools like Bama more beatable. Before the portal, schools like Bama were way more dominant because they had talent like the starters on the 3 deep. With the portal, now those kids transfer out to get more playing time and suddenly Bama, Clemson, etc. aren't as dominant as in the past. They now lose games because the talent isn't as deep or they get down to having to play people before they are really ready because of injuries.

Catch a team that has lots of experience and leadership they now have a chance. That's what WVU has to hope for.

Sam Brown, Devell Washington, James Thomas, & Eddie Watkins these are all good players we cannot afford to lose to the portal. Players that would have offered quality production after a few years to develop.... All 4 from the same 2020 class too....

Curious to know why these players are leaving... Is it just impatience?? Or something different... Not a good look.. I miss the days when you could actually support a player for being a Mountaineer... In some ways, its ruining what we all love about collegiate sports.. These 4 players would absolutely be productive players for us their Jun & Sen years and a big part of why I had better then average expectations for the 2020 class...

Side Note: This whole "Always a Mountaineer" phrase I hear people tossing around, that should be reserved for players who actually finish their career at WVU...
This is going to be one of the biggest obstacles for programs like wvu and those on its level. People will say the guys that leave weren't contributors. On the surface this may be true but the guys replacing them are most likely going to be younger. It makes it more difficult to assemble a roster of upperclassman. Even if the younger guys have a bigger upside the older guys are stronger and more experienced. The Ncaa allowing schools to recruit over the 25 school limit may help. I think it would have been better to change the rules based on time played . If a guy wants to transfer but has played a certain amount of snaps he should have to sit out a year. This would prevent schools from cherry picking rosters to fill their needs.

This is going to be one of the biggest obstacles for programs like wvu and those on its level. People will say the guys that leave weren't contributors. On the surface this may be true but the guys replacing them are most likely going to be younger. It makes it more difficult to assemble a roster of upperclassman. Even if the younger guys have a bigger upside the older guys are stronger and more experienced. The Ncaa allowing schools to recruit over the 25 school limit may help. I think it would have been better to change the rules based on time played . If a guy wants to transfer but has played a certain amount of snaps he should have to sit out a year. This would prevent schools from cherry picking rosters to fill their needs.

What you said is all true. That's why the portal is such a double-edged sword. It can help your team just as much as it can hurt it.

To use your example, yes the older guys are stronger and more experienced. As such, a kid with a ton of talent and potential sits further down the depth chart because the folks ahead of him are upperclassmen. Therefore, HE'S more likely to leave which leaves a hole that most likely will be filled by - the transfer portal. There really is no correct answer in all this and can be both frustrating and elating at the same time. But, if it is best for the kid, then I'm all for it. Nobody cares if a kid in the engineering program transfers schools. That happens all the time. If you look at it like that, should the sports program be any different?

I see that you want to take it back to the way it used to be (sit out a year). I see nothing wrong with that either. But, while its great for us the fans, is it really fair for the kid?

Reactions: quinnjj
What you said is all true. That's why the portal is such a double-edged sword. It can help your team just as much as it can hurt it.

To use your example, yes the older guys are stronger and more experienced. As such, a kid with a ton of talent and potential sits further down the depth chart because the folks ahead of him are upperclassmen. Therefore, HE'S more likely to leave which leaves a hole that most likely will be filled by - the transfer portal. There really is no correct answer in all this and can be both frustrating and elating at the same time. But, if it is best for the kid, then I'm all for it. Nobody cares if a kid in the engineering program transfers schools. That happens all the time. If you look at it like that, should the sports program be any different?

I see that you want to take it back to the way it used to be (sit out a year). I see nothing wrong with that either. But, while its great for us the fans, is it really fair for the kid?
The portal is a double edged sword for sure. At the moment I would say we are on the wrong edge of the sword. Programs like ours that are in the rebuilding or developmental stage are probably not benefitting as much. If we can get to the reloading phase then I can see it as more beneficial. When it comes to the individual kid its hard to say what's fair and what's not. I read an article about the kids that transfer and a large percentage of them don't find what there looking for in their new home. Most of these guys don't get good advice and only listen to the voices that tell them what they want to hear,

Reactions: Rootmaster

Too many splinters in their behinds from not living up to their potential. You have to work hard to earn a spot.

You may be right, but NONE of them were willing to give the process ANY time at all. They have done nothing to convince anyone that they would be as you suggest in your wishful thinking.

You may be right, but NONE of them were willing to give the process ANY time at all. They have done nothing to convince anyone that they would be as you suggest in your wishful thinking.

The buck always stops with the head coach and the guys he brings in. With that said the portal preys on kids who are playing so that’s an issue.

Reactions: KingCoal
The buck always stops with the head coach and the guys he brings in. With that said the portal preys on kids who are playing so that’s an issue.
Yeh, I fully understand the 'buck stops here' concept. However, I also fully understand that dead wood does not make a very warming fire. Takes a stronger leader to spot weakness in employees and weed them out as soon after arrival as practical. I never minded peripheral turnover. It was the maintaining of a strong central core that was important and significant to success.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Yeh, I fully understand the 'buck stops here' concept. However, I also fully understand that dead wood does not make a very warming fire. Takes a stronger leader to spot weakness in employees and weed them out as soon after arrival as practical. I never minded peripheral turnover. It was the maintaining of a strong central core that was important and significant to success.
however...it takes a lot more bodies with very specific talents to keep a core together on a football team. teams like wvu will be constantly crippled. college football has moved away from development of the player and loyalty to a school. the elites have won. sport has lost. period.

These 4 players thought they were good enough to start without earning it. Good riddance to the lazy bums.

The portal is a double edged sword for sure. At the moment I would say we are on the wrong edge of the sword. Programs like ours that are in the rebuilding or developmental stage are probably not benefitting as much. If we can get to the reloading phase then I can see it as more beneficial. When it comes to the individual kid its hard to say what's fair and what's not. I read an article about the kids that transfer and a large percentage of them don't find what there looking for in their new home. Most of these guys don't get good advice and only listen to the voices that tell them what they want to hear,
I'd like to see a list of everyone we have lost and gained through the portal. I'm not so sure we aren't winning the portal game. It seems like we have gotten our share of impact players back from the portal and lost very few impact players.

I'd like to see a list of everyone we have lost and gained through the portal. I'm not so sure we aren't winning the portal game. It seems like we have gotten our share of impact players back from the portal and lost very few impact players.
You can see a yearly listing of transfers in/transfers out on the 247 site. (under football recruiting tab for any team, and then you simply use the drop down to find the team you want to look at, and then can look at that team year by year. WVU has a lot more going out, than coming in the last couple of years, but for the most part, you're not losing top players, other than the safety to GA this past off season.

You can see a yearly listing of transfers in/transfers out on the 247 site. (under football recruiting tab for any team, and then you simply use the drop down to find the team you want to look at, and then can look at that team year by year. WVU has a lot more going out, than coming in the last couple of years, but for the most part, you're not losing top players, other than the safety to GA this past off season.
Right, you are always going to lose young players that aren't working out or are impatient. I don't see that as a bad thing though, it frees up a scholarship that wasn't paying dividends anymore anyway. We've lost some decent players but T. Smith probably is the only one that was disappointing to me. Seems like there have been a handful that have helped us. That may just be perception, I don't really follow guys after they leave.

I'm not a big fan of the portal either but I think we may worry more about it's impact on the program than is warranted.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT