ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like WVU will open the league tournament at 12:30 p.m. next Thursday

43rd Parallel

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
BIG 12 FINAL WEEKEND
Texas Tech (3-14) at Baylor (10-7)
Oklahoma State (8-9) at West Virginia (10-7)
Kansas (13-4) at Oklahoma (11-6)
TCU (4-13) at Iowa State (11-6)
Texas (7-10) at Kansas State (8-9)

---

The four teams at 11-6 or 10-7 are all playing at home this weekend.

If the home teams were to all win, West Virginia and Baylor would finish 4th/5th and meet each other in the conference tournament at 12:30 p.m. next Thursday (ESPN2).

It makes my head hurt to think what would happen if four teams tied for second place at 11-7. Not likely to happen, but given the head-to-head tiebreakers, I assume WVU would still wind up playing in the 12:30 game as a 4 or 5 seed.

Big 12

If I read the tiebreakers page on big12sports.com there is one chance for WVU to be 3rd. If we win and both OU and Baylor lose (big stretch since Baylor has TTU) then the bears are 10-8 and both WVU and OU are 11-7. First tiebreaker is head to head which we split. Next tiebreaker is record against the best team in the league and down the list until tie is broken. WVU is 1-2 vs Kansas and OU is 0-2 which should give us the 3 spot. Now a three way tie or 4 way tie, I didn't read the rules there but with both ISU and Baylor sweeping us I doubt there is a way for WVU to take 3rd. Either way we really need OU to lose because I like our chances against them more than Baylor.

Although we would just be coming off playing OSU, I like the matchup> I think I rather play any team in the league other than Baylor.

Although we would just be coming off playing OSU, I like the matchup> I think I rather play any team in the league other than Baylor.

The "miracle" situation:

WVU wins

Kansas wins

TCU wins

TTU wins

WVU enters as the #3 seed for the B12 Tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT