ADVERTISEMENT

Looking back has different impact

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
The outcome of a game often has a different impact on the day that it happens than it does when you look at it at the end of the season.

Take West Virginia’s 5-7 season.

Mountaineers barely beat James Madison, which never lost again with a 11-1 regular season and 1st place in the Colonial Conference. Looks better now than the day it happened.

WVU trounced North Carolina State, but so did a lot of teams during the Wolfpack’s 4-8 season.

WVU lost to Baylor by 3 points. The same 11-1 Baylor team that will play Oklahoma again, this time for the Big 12 title.

WVU lost to Oklahoma State, which finished 3rd in the Big 12, with the help of two questionable calls on consecutive goal-line plays. No one will ever convince me that the football failed to break the goal-line plane on either play.

West Virginia 20, James Madison 13

James Madison 11-1, 1st in Colonial Conference. ONLY loss to WVU

Missouri 38, West Virginia 7

Missouri 6-6 (2-5 in SEC)

West Virginia 44, North Carolina State 27

North Carolina State 4-8, lost final 6 games.

West Virginia 28, Kansas 24

Kansas 3-9, LAST in the Big 12, beating only Texas Tech.

Texas 42, West Virginia 31

Texas 7-5, 5th in Big 12. Texas is NOT baccckkkk!!!

Iowa State 38, West Virginia 14

Iowa State 7-5 but 3rd in Big 12. Beat Texas, lost to Oklahoma by 1 and Baylor by 2.

Oklahoma 52, West Virginia 14

Oklahoma 11-1, 1st in Big 12, in conference title game. Lost only to Kansas State, 48-41.

Baylor 17, West Virginia 14

Baylor 11-1, 1st in Big 12, in conference title game. Only loss to Oklahoma, 34-31, beat TCU in 3 overtimes.

Texas Tech 38, West Virginia 17

Texas Tech 4-8, 9th in Big 12. Beat Oklahoma State.

West Virginia 24, Kansas State 20

Kansas State 8-4, 6th in Big 12. Beat Oklahoma but lost to Texas and Baylor.

Oklahoma State 20, West Virginia 13

Oklahoma State 8-4, 3rd in Big 12. Lost to Oklahoma, Baylor and Texas.

West Virginia 20, TCU 17

TCU 5-7, 7th in the Big 12. Beat Texas.

Your tiebreakers are a little off

4 teams tied for third
Texas
Oklahoma State
Kansas State
Iowa State
Based on tiebreaker

WV finished 7th
TCU 8th
Texas Tech 9th
Kansas 10th

WVU ended the year the way a well-coached, under-skilled, young team should hope to end a season.

Yes, there were blowouts and games where you'd want a do-over. However, WVU beat the teams it was supposed to beat, lost to favored teams, unfortunately, lost the early toss-up games, but managed to steal to upsets along the way.

Reactions: Charleston Mountie
The outcome of a game often has a different impact on the day that it happens than it does when you look at it at the end of the season.

Take West Virginia’s 5-7 season.

Mountaineers barely beat James Madison, which never lost again with a 11-1 regular season and 1st place in the Colonial Conference. Looks better now than the day it happened.

WVU trounced North Carolina State, but so did a lot of teams during the Wolfpack’s 4-8 season.

WVU lost to Baylor by 3 points. The same 11-1 Baylor team that will play Oklahoma again, this time for the Big 12 title.

WVU lost to Oklahoma State, which finished 3rd in the Big 12, with the help of two questionable calls on consecutive goal-line plays. No one will ever convince me that the football failed to break the goal-line plane on either play.

West Virginia 20, James Madison 13

James Madison 11-1, 1st in Colonial Conference. ONLY loss to WVU

Missouri 38, West Virginia 7

Missouri 6-6 (2-5 in SEC)

West Virginia 44, North Carolina State 27

North Carolina State 4-8, lost final 6 games.

West Virginia 28, Kansas 24

Kansas 3-9, LAST in the Big 12, beating only Texas Tech.

Texas 42, West Virginia 31

Texas 7-5, 5th in Big 12. Texas is NOT baccckkkk!!!

Iowa State 38, West Virginia 14

Iowa State 7-5 but 3rd in Big 12. Beat Texas, lost to Oklahoma by 1 and Baylor by 2.

Oklahoma 52, West Virginia 14

Oklahoma 11-1, 1st in Big 12, in conference title game. Lost only to Kansas State, 48-41.

Baylor 17, West Virginia 14

Baylor 11-1, 1st in Big 12, in conference title game. Only loss to Oklahoma, 34-31, beat TCU in 3 overtimes.

Texas Tech 38, West Virginia 17

Texas Tech 4-8, 9th in Big 12. Beat Oklahoma State.

West Virginia 24, Kansas State 20

Kansas State 8-4, 6th in Big 12. Beat Oklahoma but lost to Texas and Baylor.

Oklahoma State 20, West Virginia 13

Oklahoma State 8-4, 3rd in Big 12. Lost to Oklahoma, Baylor and Texas.

West Virginia 20, TCU 17

TCU 5-7, 7th in the Big 12. Beat Texas.

This is the single weirdest post I’ve ever seen. What the hell is going on with you old timer?

WVU ended the year the way a well-coached, under-skilled, young team should hope to end a season.

Yes, there were blowouts and games where you'd want a do-over. However, WVU beat the teams it was supposed to beat, lost to favored teams, unfortunately, lost the early toss-up games, but managed to steal to upsets along the way.

I love the moral victory crowd haha

Like I said at start of the year ISU would drop back to 7-5. Baylor was the only surprise. OU will beat the dog shit out of them in the title. They learned their lesson in the first game.

OU will need help to make playoffs
Georgia loss
Utah loss

Perhaps Alabama gets 4th with 2 losses but who knows they're season is done so it would take losses by OU, Utah to do it.

Texas Tech is in a similar position as WVU.
Their players are buying in and should have won more games than they did
At least 2 for sure maybe 3.

Before the season I said they have legit Big 12 LBs.
Brooks and Jeffers are up there.

Wasn't as much the loss but how.
But...
WVU kept on fighting all game. I watch some of that game after the fact and saw a team that was still fighting.

Texas Tech is in a similar position as WVU.
Their players are buying in and should have won more games than they did
At least 2 for sure maybe 3.

Before the season I said they have legit Big 12 LBs.
Brooks and Jeffers are up there.

Wasn't as much the loss but how.
But...
WVU kept on fighting all game. I watch some of that game after the fact and saw a team that was still fighting.
They jumped all over us early!! After that we calmed down and actually played better.. it was over early..

Brown had a very poor season for WVU but finished it off with a win thanks to Doege’s bomb. Brown tried to coach it away again but TCUs qb wasnt playing well.

Massive improvement needed in many areas to avoid a redo of this season- the schedule gets more difficult.

The D made improvement as the season went on— some pressure on the opposing qbs good for WVU. But Brown must rework his offense- maybe needs an O coord to win more BIG 12/ P5 games.

WVU needs development of an OLine
More development at WR
Players who can play multiple positions on offense

The system itself isn't that bad but there wasn't an OLine.

If you look at the entire Big 12 everyone is raising their level.

I am going to say this even though some people will be upset.
There is a chance that other schools improve faster than WVU can this off-season.
I am not going to say that this is going to turn into a monster program under Neal Brown.
But Neal Brown is showing he can hold his own during the season but now he has to show he can develop a program faster than the other coaches during the off season

Brown had a very poor season for WVU but finished it off with a win thanks to Doege’s bomb. Brown tried to coach it away again but TCUs qb wasnt playing well.

Massive improvement needed in many areas to avoid a redo of this season- the schedule gets more difficult.
I don't know why would say that brown tried to coach it away. Holgorsen was famous for that at wvu. Wvu got stronger towards the end of the season. Holgorsens teams went belly up at seasons end.

I love the moral victory crowd haha
Really Greg what did you expect. Most analysts expected wvu to have between 3-5 wins they finished on the high end with 5. The same analysts expected wvu to finish between 8-9 in the Big 12 they finished 7th. The season had its ups and downs. You could argue it could have been better but it also could have been worse. At least the last couple of games gave folks optimism that things might be better in 2020. If you want someone to pick on why don't you find that Michigan Herd character. He seems to be mia today. He was telling the world how Michigan was playing its best football under harbaugh. Michigan just got rolled by there arch rival in there own house. So much for Michigan is great. Not really surprised who the hell did Michigan beat. Needed overtime to beat a service academy. Do us a favor find him and have him explain it.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Really Greg what did you expect. Most analysts expected wvu to have between 3-5 wins they finished on the high end with 5. The same analysts expected wvu to finish between 8-9 in the Big 12 they finished 7th. The season had its ups and downs. You could argue it could have been better but it also could have been worse. At least the last couple of games gave folks optimism that things might be better in 2020. If you want someone to pick on why don't you find that Michigan Herd character. He seems to be mia today. He was telling the world how Michigan was playing its best football under harbaugh. Michigan just got rolled by there arch rival in there own house. So much for Michigan is great. Not really surprised who the hell did Michigan beat. Needed overtime to beat a service academy. Do us a favor find him and have him explain it.

I can live with your perspective. Good post.

Reactions: OlegeezEER
Another out of context post Eers. No way you were sports writer. Maybe a low level beat guy for local feel good stories but not legit stuff.
I'd tell you to ask Mickey Furfari, Bill Evans, Jim Van Zant and Dick Hudson if I was a quality sportswriter but they have all gone to The Pressbox in the Sky. I guess Bill Evans erred when he made me the first chairman of the West Virginia high school all-state selection committee. Speaking of low level .... talk WVU sports and stop attacking posters personally. That's unseemly. Very low level mentality. I've covered Jerry West, Steve Spurrier and Joe Nuxhall in my time. All low-level people, right?

I'd tell you to ask Mickey Furfari, Bill Evans, Jim Van Zant and Dick Hudson if I was a quality sportswriter but they have all gone to The Pressbox in the Sky. I guess Bill Evans erred when he made me the first chairman of the West Virginia high school all-state selection committee. Speaking of low level .... talk WVU sports and stop attacking posters personally. That's unseemly. Very low level mentality. I've covered Jerry West, Steve Spurrier and Joe Nuxhall in my time. All low-level people, right?

Remind me who those guys are again Eers? Writing a slobfest in a small local WV paper doesn’t give you the right to be so Smug Eers. Dropping names like West and Spurrier is a bit much as well. I’m not personally attacking you Eers and don’t want you to feel that way. I just don’t buy into your self proclaimed sports knowledge status because you did or did not do some small paper reporting.

Last edited:
Reactions: tOSUGrad90
I’m pretty sure scoring more points than the other team are actually real victories. Please fact check that for me.

Excellent perspective haha. Calling a couple win in the back half of the season shouldn’t qualify as a turnaround obviously.

Please stop. You try way to hard to be relevant. Name dropping makes you look so desperate. BTW: you forgot to mention your interview with Abe Lincoln.

Would losing them be better? I’m confused.

Obviously not. Just saying this year was not good. Pretty much total mayhem broke out for 9 months. Two late wins over average teams doesn’t change that. Those two wins doesn’t change the year. Two losses wouldn’t have changed anything either.

Obviously not. Just saying this year was not good. Pretty much total mayhem broke out for 9 months. Two late wins over average teams doesn’t change that. Those two wins doesn’t change the year. Two losses wouldn’t have changed anything either.
Which program do you have more confidence in becoming relevant, WVU or Pitt? Hint there is an obvious and correct choice.

Obviously Pitt. Did you miss the memo. WVU sucked this year.

To be fair, WVU did suck and people took notice. Spitt won some games and nobody even paid any attention, much less knew.

Nonetheless, winning some games with that pansy schedule is nothing to brag about. Even WVU, as bad as they were this year, would finish in the top 3 of the ACC, not just this year, but most likely every year. We can definitely say the same can't be said for Pitt if the shoes were reversed.

LOL at you thinking Pitt is anything special or will be. That's like finishing third in the Special Olympics and thinking you're ready to take on Carl Lewis or something. Too funny.

I for one stated this was exactly how the season was going to be based on my perceptions of the team and staff in the preseason. I think a lot of rational fans saw it that way as well. I saw 3 wins and felt we might finish strong and pick up 1 to 3 more. If we were really lucky we would go bowling and pick up a 7th win. But, Texas Tech as a weird game. Everything I had hoped for in the preseason came true. I am elated at the outcome because it shows that this progress is real. NOT ONCE did the coaches or the team lay down during the season. I have not seen a WVU team go through an entire season and do that since the days of the Product - I will say Ten Hail Mary's for admitting that, but it is true. WVU was soft under Bill and Dana and would lay down before the end of the season came. I am glad that problem is fixed.

And just how were the Mountaineers soft at the end of the year under bill? Exactly? True dana was awful in November...horrible...but bill?

Please stop. You try way to hard to be relevant. Name dropping makes you look so desperate. BTW: you forgot to mention your interview with Abe Lincoln.
Abe sent his regards. Why don't we try talking WVU sports and leave out the personal attacks? It's so demeaning.

Abe sent his regards. Why don't we try talking WVU sports and leave out the personal attacks? It's so demeaning.

CFE this board is overrun by these trolls. They don't want to talk about anything. They don't want YOU to talk about anything. They simply want to troll.

ADVERTISEMENT