ADVERTISEMENT

Look at free throws made, NOT free throws missed and you'll be happier

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
I think we’re looking at WVU’s free throw shooting from the wrong end.

WVU OUT-SCORED TCU from the free throw line by 9 points and won by 7 points.

Because WVU’s style of play makes opponents foul WVU more than WVU fouls its opponents.

WVU out-scored Texas by 12 points and won by 2. Again, the misses are irritating. But if you score more points on field goals than the other team, the shooting percentages might be perturbing, but the points scored are more important.

WVU out-scored Oklahoma with free throws by 1 and lost by 1. Yes, making 2 more free throws would win the game. But the problem was making 1 fewer field goals than Oklahoma, too.

Against Texas Tech the Mountaineers had FIFTEEN more free throw points than Texas Tech and won by 11. That means WVU lost in field goals by 4 points.

Against Kansas Huggins Heroes made only 2 more free throw points but won by 12. Field goal shooting was 10 points better than the Jayhawks.

Against hapless Iowa State the Mountaineers had 10 more free throw points than the winless (in Big 12) Cyclones and won by only 4 points. Free throw points saved the day.

I had to go all the way back to the Florida game to find one where WVU was out-scored at the free throw line. That’s because BOTH teams shot at least THIRTY free throws, a rarity for a WVU opponent, and the Gators hit an astounding 83.3% on 25-30 while WVU had a respectable 71% at 22-31, but lost by 5 points.

So, instead of growling about the missed free throws we should be ecstatic that Huggins Heroes get to shoot so many more free throws and score more free throw points than its opponents … IN EVERY GAME IT WON DURING THE CURRENT WINNING STREAK!

Stop looking at the wrong end of the telescope.

If WVU scored on EVERY possession would it really matter what its shooting percentage was? 2 or 3 misses before scoring counts the same on the scoreboard as 1 shot and in. I know we feel better on one shot and end.

But the bottom line in business is profits, not income and expenses.

Stop looking at this the wrong way. Don’t bitch about missed free throws. Cherish the free throws that go in. So far they have WVU on a SEVEN-GAME road winning streak in the Big 12, the toughest conference in America!

Enjoy! Don’t deplore!

Fans understandably always want more points, from free throws or field goals; more rebounds, on offense and defense; more steals; cause more turnovers. Look at the ones WVU got, not at the ones WVU didn't get.

In your own life you're better off if you cherish the good things than if you wail about the bad things.

In its last two games, both on the road in the State of Texas, WVU has shot a total of 70 free throws, and its opponents have shot a total of 27.

Teams are intentionally fouling Culver. Seeing it is better than giving up 2.

You and your math are always off. Did you graduate grade school. It's 6 straight road wins.

In its last two games, both on the road in the State of Texas, WVU has shot a total of 70 free throws, and its opponents have shot a total of 27.

Not surprising as Opponents have no defenders near them. Hard to get fouled by thin air. On the other side of it. They know it's better to foul Culver than to give up 2 points.

Culver is 12-25 at the Line in the last two games. The other Mountaineers are 33-45. The opposing two teams are 14-27.

Culver is 12-25 at the Line in the last two games. The other Mountaineers are 33-45. The opposing two teams are 14-27.

Like I said. You can't get fouled by air. Teams foul Culver every time he touches because they know 1 or zero is better than 2.

At the end of games or during times of close games teams are fouling anyone to stop the clock.

Cool story, bruh, but Texas didn't have to foul intentionally at the End of Game. Culver shot 25 free throws, but even excluding him, WVU shot 18 more free throws than its opponents in its last two games, both on the road in Texas. Numbers don't lie, but fans do.

Cool story, bruh, but Texas didn't have to foul intentionally at the End of Game. Culver shot 25 free throws, but even excluding him, WVU shot 18 more free throws than its opponents in its last two games, both on the road in Texas. Numbers don't lie, but fans do.

And what pray tell do these numbers say to you?

Numbers tell a lot of things. Like 74% shooting and 19 point leads.

In current Big 12 basketball statistics:

WVU has NO player in the top 5 in scoring. But as a team is #2 in scoring average.

Derek Culver is #1 in defensive rebounding and WVU is #3 in team rebounding.

Miles McBride is #4 in assists.

WVU has NO player in the top 5 in blocked shots.

WVU has NO player in the top 5 in field goal percentage.

Miles McBride is #3 in steals.

Yet WVU is in 2nd place in W-L! Why?

Because the Mountaineers are a better team, more cohesive, more one for all and all for one, and relentless, tireless, aggressive, smart.

Like I said. You can't get fouled by air. Teams foul Culver every time he touches because they know 1 or zero is better than 2.

At the end of games or during times of close games teams are fouling anyone to stop the clock.

The problem with your logic is that if a player gets two fouls early in the game he has put himself on the bench for some extended period of time. That helps WVU when a teams best player(s) are on the bench. So, why would teams intentionally foul Culver? A foul here and there I see, but repeatedly fouling Culver puts the opponents entire team in jeopardy. At least that's how I see things.

The problem with your logic is that if a player gets two fouls early in the game he has put himself on the bench for some extended period of time. That helps WVU when a teams best player(s) are on the bench. So, why would teams intentionally foul Culver? A foul here and there I see, but repeatedly fouling Culver puts the opponents entire team in jeopardy. At least that's how I see things.

So you think Teams would rather give up 30 or 35 to Culver in the paint instead of 12 or 16 with 20 missed foul shots?

TCU said it was their game plan to foul Culver in 2nd half. Case closed.

It's not immediately and it's not with the starter.

15 points in first half for Culver with only 3-6 on 6 foul shot attempts 1st half, then 8 attempts in 2nd half for 3-8.

8 personal fouls between the 4 big's that played Culver. That averages to 2 apiece. Sure looks and smells like game plan.

Last edited:

Well, repeatedly fouling Culver and putting the opponent's entire team in jeopardy is fine with me. You have a problem with that, as a WVU fan?

Reactions: WVUALLEN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT