ADVERTISEMENT

LMFAO at rebuffs to Pac12

WVU_Dave

All-American
Jan 7, 2008
Dulce Base - 7 Levels Down
Ok so per SB Nation the Pac's plan:

Phase 1: Poach the top of the Mountain West

Boise State, Fresno State, Colorado State, and San Diego State. (They accepted.)

Phase 2: Convince the top of the American to join the PAC-12, carving out a role as the undisputed fifth-best conference in FBS.

Memphis, Tulane, USF, and UTSA. (They turned them down)

So, then they grab Gonzaga and give them a full share even though they don't have football?

Now they consider Utah State a top candidate. PAC'n it up conference

Wonder if the MW defectors can still change their minds, as IMHO they are headed to a worse conference than they are currently in.

Doubt that. However, I think it all eventually comes full circle and the bluebloods go back to independent.
Personally I think 24 or 32 maybe 40 teams break from NCAA and form their own division with commissioner instead. There will still be an SEC and Big 10, it just won't have their big boys.

Reactions: locustwv
Personally I think 24 or 32 maybe 40 teams break from NCAA and form their own division with commissioner instead. There will still be an SEC and Big 10, it just won't have their big boys.
Maybe, but at some point it just becomes semi-pro and I think will lose some of the luster as the fans of the other 160+ teams decide to watch college ball again while those "big boys" games turn into productions with large groups of non-alumni buying up seats and essentially taking away the Saturday CFB experience.

Maybe, but at some point it just becomes semi-pro and I think will lose some of the luster as the fans of the other 160+ teams decide to watch college ball again while those "big boys" games turn into productions with large groups of non-alumni buying up seats and essentially taking away the Saturday CFB experience.
I have no doubt you are correct. College football will never be the same. The golden era has passed.

I have no doubt you are correct. College football will never be the same. The golden era has passed.
Television changed college football and it will again. College's will be left with a depressed marketplace," wrote William Taaffe in a piece that bore the headline Too Much Of A Good Thing.

"There will be no money to prop up non-revenue sports such as swimming and wrestling. The big network paydays will be over. Nebraska athletic director Bob Devaney says, 'I don't see any great resurgence in the next year or so. I'm not predicting colleges will go broke -- but it isn't going to be the bonanza it was.'"

The late Saturday night window for football remains an intriguing spot for networks, ESPN and Fox weren’t willing to pay what the Pac-12 was seeking.

“College conferences should not be looking at the networks, whether that be linear or digital as the underwriters, bank, whatever word you want to use,” Garson said. “There’s only a finite amount of money that can go around to all the properties that all the networks are looking to.

“There’s this expectation that the networks will continue to provide enough money to solve all the problems of intercollegiate athletics. It’s just not going to happen today.”

by Associated Press / NBC Sports.

Television changed college football and it will again. College's will be left with a depressed marketplace," wrote William Taaffe in a piece that bore the headline Too Much Of A Good Thing.

"There will be no money to prop up non-revenue sports such as swimming and wrestling. The big network paydays will be over. Nebraska athletic director Bob Devaney says, 'I don't see any great resurgence in the next year or so. I'm not predicting colleges will go broke -- but it isn't going to be the bonanza it was.'"

The late Saturday night window for football remains an intriguing spot for networks, ESPN and Fox weren’t willing to pay what the Pac-12 was seeking.

“College conferences should not be looking at the networks, whether that be linear or digital as the underwriters, bank, whatever word you want to use,” Garson said. “There’s only a finite amount of money that can go around to all the properties that all the networks are looking to.

“There’s this expectation that the networks will continue to provide enough money to solve all the problems of intercollegiate athletics. It’s just not going to happen today.”

by Associated Press / NBC Sports.
This is why it was so rediculous when the PAC missed the media deals and then tried to go pay per view to catch up.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT