ADVERTISEMENT

Lighten the mood a little. What is your favorite cut of steak?

WVUBRU

All-American
Aug 7, 2001
I am judging a steak cooking competition tomorrow. It is any cut of steak and any method of cooking. Steak must be presented Medium Rare to Medium. If it isn't, it isn't allowed to be judged. I am expecting a bunch of ribeyes and I like ribeyes but when it comes to subjective testing like this, a judge that doesn't necessarily like all the fat can be turned off. My favorite cut of steak is a Strip. Perfect balance of texture, fat and ability to hold up to high heat well. It will be fun.

I am judging a steak cooking competition tomorrow. It is any cut of steak and any method of cooking. Steak must be presented Medium Rare to Medium. If it isn't, it isn't allowed to be judged. I am expecting a bunch of ribeyes and I like ribeyes but when it comes to subjective testing like this, a judge that doesn't necessarily like all the fat can be turned off. My favorite cut of steak is a Strip. Perfect balance of texture, fat and ability to hold up to high heat well. It will be fun.
I'm a ribeye guy, myself. But I also like filets and pretty much anything else. Fat adds flavor and you just need to work around it. I've been eating a lot of buffalo strips lately. My favorite meat is elk. Close friend always gives me some after his hunts in Wyoming.

I'm a ribeye guy, myself. But I also like filets and pretty much anything else. Fat adds flavor and you just need to work around it. I've been eating a lot of buffalo strips lately. My favorite meat is elk. Close friend always gives me some after his hunts in Wyoming.

Apparently Arby's is starting to serve elk and venison, although the elk is only in select markets.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ases-venison-sandwiches-nationwide/749097001/

Yes, I like various game as well. Just wanted to clarify the competition tomorrow is all beef. The steaks are being donated. I'm not sure what cuts will be available.

new york strip...no doubt...but it's got to be well done....my boy just gives me hell for it....btw Game Day is in Happy Valley tomorrow and the Game Day crew has reservations at his place tonite...I told him to wear the flying WV and kick corso in the nuts

My favorite is well marbled prime grade ribeye cooked to medium well over lump hardwood charcoal and topped with hotel butter, but prime grade steaks are hard to find here in NC WV. We also eat a lot of porterhouse so our doggie can have the bone that separates the filet from the strip.

new york strip...no doubt...but it's got to be well done....my boy just gives me hell for it....btw Game Day is in Happy Valley tomorrow and the Game Day crew has reservations at his place tonite...I told him to wear the flying WV and kick corso in the nuts
You mention one of my biggest pet peeves. I hate food snobs that insist steak must be cooked medium rare even though it is my belief it is the best temp. David Burke also agrees as I just saw a show about him and his new restaurant and I loved seeing him talk about it as he is an authority. If someone enjoys steak well done, serve it to him that way.

Reactions: old buzzard

For beef, a marbled ribeye is the best of the best for grilling. Enough fat to give it great flavor and cook easily, and stays tender the whole way. Elk steaks are awesome. Elk burgers are great. Homemade elk jerky beats beef jerky every day and twice on Sunday. Most unusual meat i ever had was kangaroo with a raspberry sauce; it was tasty.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
My disgusting answer:

Younger, my favorite was a t-bone......because the fat always tasted so good.

Older, and not wanting my heart to explode, I now enjoy NY. And have successfully hidden the fact that I used to eat the fat from my wife.

You mention one of my biggest pet peeves. I hate food snobs that insist steak must be cooked medium rare even though it is my belief it is the best temp. David Burke also agrees as I just saw a show about him and his new restaurant and I loved seeing him talk about it as he is an authority. If someone enjoys steak well done, serve it to him that way.
my brother in law however is the exact opposite....his saying is....."cut off the horns, wipe it's ass and put it on the plate".......he maybe does his 2 minutes on each side...poor cow is still quivering

Neighbors invited my brother and me, early teens, to steak dinner if we would not comment on the cooking. Man of house passed steaks under hot water. I assumed he was washing the bone flakes off. Hell no, he shook the water off the meat and served it. We ate some and really didn't have much appetite.

DMmZESXUMAAPUnC.jpg

Boneless dry aged Ribeye sous vide and torch finished at rare plus

Top Sirloin...slightly marbled (for juiciness) seared with fresh ground pepper, onion powder, lemon juice, and Thyme for bitter/sweet blending of the juices. Cooked medium well (not rare) slightly pink or very light beige. Still juicy, succulent, and so tender it cuts with a fork!

For beef, a marbled ribeye is the best of the best for grilling. Enough fat to give it great flavor and cook easily, and stays tender the whole way. Elk steaks are awesome. Elk burgers are great. Homemade elk jerky beats beef jerky every day and twice on Sunday. Most unusual meat i ever had was kangaroo with a raspberry sauce; it was tasty.
Dude.....if you like elk.....my ,oh my....MOOSE!!!.. Dali sheep are also .... AMAZING. . sorry my Alaskan is showing

my brother in law however is the exact opposite....his saying is....."cut off the horns, wipe it's ass and put it on the plate".......he maybe does his 2 minutes on each side...poor cow is still quivering
During dinner with friends at a rather nice steak house their mid teen daughter ordered her steak 'rare'. When it arrived another member of the party remarked with words I will always remember--"Chris, I have seen cows hurt worse than that who LIVED."

Reactions: atlkvb
During dinner with friends at a rather nice steak house their mid teen daughter ordered her steak 'rare'. When it arrived another member of the party remarked with words I will always remember--"Chris, I have seen cows hurt worse than that who LIVED."

Now that's funny!

Dude.....if you like elk.....my ,oh my....MOOSE!!!.. Dali sheep are also .... AMAZING. . sorry my Alaskan is showing

haven't had Dali sheep (never heard of them, must be Alaskan treat?), but have had caribou. it was ok. haven't had moose, either, but have encountered them numerous times on early morning walks in Wyoming. they are huge.

I had camel on Tues. it was actually pretty good. Not steak good but I was really surprised to be honest.

I like ribeye or a t-bone. Cooked medium. If I'm doing the cooking I only season with a little olive oil, kosher salt, and cracked pepper.

My favorite steakhouse is Buckheads here in Richmond, VA and they have a cowboy cut (bone in ribeye) that is incredible. If you're ever passing through you should check the place out.

Speaking of steak preparation, does anyone like (or has tried at one time or another) steaks prepared "Pittsburgh blue" ??

I couldn't agree more....if you're paying for it, order/eat it the way you like. To me, it's much like the arguments regarding when one should drink reds versus whites; drink whatever the hell you like no matter what's on your plate.
You’re both wrong. Waaaaaaaayyyyyy wrong.

I don't enjoy anything more than prime Bone-in ribeyes cooked medium rare......but a similarly cooked NY strip always works for me. I usually buy strips for the grill at home because they're easeir to cook (and frankly, less expensive than ribeyes). Filets are for women......

I couldn't agree more....if you're paying for it, order/eat it the way you like. To me, it's much like the arguments regarding when one should drink reds versus whites; drink whatever the hell you like no matter what's on your plate.

Btw I’m obvi joking, but I can’t tell if some of these people are for reals cooking their meat to well done. I mean WTF??
I know you’re not a lunatic.

I’ve come to realize if you like your steak anything beyond medium (and that’s a stretch) then you’ve never had a good steak whether it be purchased or prepared. One of those elements had to always been lacking in the supply chain.

If my assumption is incorrect and you are in fact at a nice restaurant or you’ve independently purchased a good cut of meat from your local butcher and you still like your steak cooked like that, then stop eating steak, because you don’t really like steak. What you like, is a good burger (mine are still raw in the middle), and there is nothing wrong with that. Eat what you like, just know what it is you really like, and steak isn’t your thing.

Reactions: WVUCOOPER
I don't enjoy anything more than prime Bone-in ribeyes cooked medium rare......but a similarly cooked NY strip always works for me. I usually buy strips for the grill at home because they're easeir to cook (and frankly, less expensive than ribeyes). Filets are for women......

I agree, if you pay for it, eat how you want. My argument is to stop paying for it, because you don’t really like it. That, or if you’re only experience and benchmark is Outback or Sizzler, then you don’t really have an opinion.

Speaking of steak preparation, does anyone like (or has tried at one time or another) steaks prepared "Pittsburgh blue" ??
Yes. Basically, burn the outside and it be rare or raw on the inside. Campfire steak. Not my fav.

I know you’re not a lunatic.

I’ve come to realize if you like your steak anything beyond medium (and that’s a stretch) then you’ve never had a good steak whether it be purchased or prepared. One of those elements had to always been lacking in the supply chain.

If my assumption is incorrect and you are in fact at a nice restaurant or you’ve independently purchased a good cut of meat from your local butcher and you still like your steak cooked like that, then stop eating steak, because you don’t really like steak. What you like, is a good burger (mine are still raw in the middle), and there is nothing wrong with that. Eat what you like, just know what it is you really like, and steak isn’t your thing.
A far more diplomatic answer than I could have ever come up with.

Yes. Basically, burn the outside and it be rare or raw on the inside. Campfire steak. Not my fav.

Yup, that's it......burned on the outside and cold (or as cool as possible) blood red inside. Wild to see the cook slather butter all over the steak and then slam it onto the hottest part of the grill until the butter explodes in flames. Never heard it called "campfire", though I do get the term.......

Tried it once about 20 years ago.....the fellow who ordered if at our table hacked off a piece for me, as much because I'm a Western PA native as anything else......and never again since.

Last edited:
You’re both wrong. Waaaaaaaayyyyyy wrong.

Incredible that, at 60 years of age, this is the first time I've ever been wrong.......

I agree, if you pay for it, eat how you want. My argument is to stop paying for it, because you don’t really like it. That, or if you’re only experience and benchmark is Outback or Sizzler, then you don’t really have an opinion.

I obviously don't dispute any of that; but at the end of the day.....if it's your money.....you should be free to spend if as you choose.

Ribeyes......a well marbled ribeye done medium will hold up much better that a medium strip. Selecting the proper steak for a competition is important.....avoid overly fat ribeyes and vein and strap on strip steaks. What are the grades requirements of beef for the competition.....USDA Prime,USDA Choice or a USDA Certified Beef program like CAB?

Last edited:
Ribeyes......a well marbled ribeye done medium will hold up much better that a medium strip. Selecting the proper steak for a competition is important.....avoid overly fat ribeyes and vein and strap on strip steaks. What are the grades requirements of beef for the competition.....USDA Prime,USDA Choice or a USDA Certified Beef program like CAB?
The beef was donated by a beef distributor. I'm guessing it was Choice. I judged the teen competition during the afternoon and the main competition was in the evening which I left before it got started. The teen winner was a ribeye cooked over a hardwood open fire (I think it was white oak) with minimum seasoning and finished with a compound butter. Hands down winner out of the 18 competitors. I don't know what won the main competition. Lot of fun for a great cause raising money for breast cancer research.

ADVERTISEMENT