ADVERTISEMENT

Let's hypothesize about the roster

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
And assume that Perez returns due to PT and $$$$. Let's further assume that with the return of Perez we get a commitment from Akok. And even further, let's assume that Naveh commits to the good guys. I know, I know. A lot of assumptions. But perhaps not far reaching. Is this roster as good as the one we had before the Huggs' disaster?

PG - Kriisa and Bembry: Kriisa's staying put was huge. He is the starter and likely a 30 minute a game PG. Bembry is 6'5" and long. Good distributor. But has never played a game in college. You have to give Toussaint the edge over Bembry just based on experience alone. Yet, Toussaint was not a true PG distributor. He viewed himself as a scorer. I prefer Bembry's distributor mentality as long as he can take care of the basketball and defend. If Bembry grows into the job, we take a step back early but as the year progresses, Joe's loss may be overcome.

SG - Battle, Silverio, Wilson and Kobe. Nothing has changed at the 2. Our best and deepest position.

SF - Perez, Harris and Naveh. Nothing has changed (assuming Perez returns) and we have added Naveh. I think we have to assume that Naveh's best days are ahead of him and he needs time to grow.

PF - Slazinski, Harris. This is where we take a step back. Slazinski is a role player, imo, but a really good add at a huge position of need. I would prefer him coming off the bench. He does stretch the floor and rebounds it pretty well. But he is not as big a threat offensively, both inside and out, as Mitchell. Harris needs to make a huge leap for us. And with Mitchell gone, he has the opportunity to step up. I think this is the one position where we are likely weaker. Could we add one more to this position? We could go small. Let's hope a grad transfer becomes available.

C - Edwards, Akok. The position is stronger than before. Edwards, to his credit, has not wavered. The addition of Akok is huge and he will add more than Wague and Okonkwo.

I thought the pre-Huggs' disaster roster was a potential final four roster. We lose experience at the PG spot and we take a step back at the 4. Hopefully, by year's end, Bembry will give us more at the PG spot than Toussaint. I hope we find someone to play the 4 that allows Slazinski to come off the bench for meaningful minutes. If we do, this roster will approach what we had before this mess started. It should be a very fun team to watch and gives Josh a chance to prove himself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News