ADVERTISEMENT

Koepka"s great uncle is...

tarponeer

All-Conference
Jun 2, 2003
...former Pittsburgh Pirate shortstop Dick Groat, who, if memory serves me correctly, has Wheeling connections.

Groat, a gifted baseball player back in the day, teamed with 1960 World Series hero Bill Mazeroski to give the Pirates a jim-dandy double play combo. He was the NL's MVP in 1960. Also, his No. 10 jersey hangs in the rafters of Duke's Cameron basketball facility. While playing basketball at Duke, he was twice an All-American.

Reactions: WVex-pat in GA
I totally agree. He was an all-star many times. Lifetime batting average of .286, fielded his position like an all-star, teamed with Maz for textbook double plays. Was the first athlete to be named to the college basketball hall of fame and the college baseball hall of game.

Bill Mazeroski was born in Wheeling Groat was born in Wilkinsburg PA. I agree Groat should be in Hall.

I totally agree. He was an all-star many times. Lifetime batting average of .286, fielded his position like an all-star, teamed with Maz for textbook double plays. Was the first athlete to be named to the college basketball hall of fame and the college baseball hall of game.
If was Groat who mugged Mark Workman, took the ball and made the basket that beat WVU in the Southern Conference tournament title game. Great in both sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT