ADVERTISEMENT

Key West will require everyone to wear a mask............. and fine those who don't $500

Kazzman

All-Conference
May 4, 2010
All residents of Key West must wear masks any time they leave their homes -- even when they're able to keep a safe distance from others. The most populous city in the Florida Keys issued the tough new mask requirement Thursday. It's among the most stringent mask measures in Florida, where coronavirus cases have surpassed over 905,000 statewide. If Key West residents repeatedly fail to wear a face mask when they're in public, even when social distancing is possible, they can be fined up to $500 after a verbal warning and civil citation, the ordinance rules. The ordinance exempts children under age 6, private workers and gymgoers, among some other groups.

Key West Mayor Terri Johnson said during a weekly update on Facebook she'd asked city manager Greg Veliz to authorize overtime for Key West police so they can better enforce the ordinance in areas with heavy foot traffic. "We're trying to regain control of our more crowded outdoor areas," Veliz said during Thursday's commission meeting. Monroe County, home to the Florida Keys, has recorded nearly 3,000 Covid-19 cases since the start of the pandemic. Almost half of those cases were recorded in Key West, according to the county.

All residents of Key West must wear masks any time they leave their homes -- even when they're able to keep a safe distance from others. The most populous city in the Florida Keys issued the tough new mask requirement Thursday. It's among the most stringent mask measures in Florida, where coronavirus cases have surpassed over 905,000 statewide. If Key West residents repeatedly fail to wear a face mask when they're in public, even when social distancing is possible, they can be fined up to $500 after a verbal warning and civil citation, the ordinance rules. The ordinance exempts children under age 6, private workers and gymgoers, among some other groups.

Key West Mayor Terri Johnson said during a weekly update on Facebook she'd asked city manager Greg Veliz to authorize overtime for Key West police so they can better enforce the ordinance in areas with heavy foot traffic. "We're trying to regain control of our more crowded outdoor areas," Veliz said during Thursday's commission meeting. Monroe County, home to the Florida Keys, has recorded nearly 3,000 Covid-19 cases since the start of the pandemic. Almost half of those cases were recorded in Key West, according to the county.
Lol. Good luck

It's the tourists that are the problem. Mostly. The residents are mostly compliant. The city of key west via referendum also effectively banned cruise ships from coming to key west which I think brought over a million visitors every year. Another kick in the gut to businesses here.

I will give you that. I love the entire Florida Keys is probably a better and more accurate comment. Would love to retire down there.
Fair enough, I agree, I definitely have the Keys Disease. Still, I plan on retiring where Spanish is the native tongue. Costa Rica is my likely destination but I’m going to check out El Salvador in the next year or so. Pacific side, cuz, fishing.

Reactions: WVUBRU
Meh, I much prefer Islamorada. Fishing is better.

That's debatable especially if you prefer spearfishing. It's probably a wash really if you like to fish from the boat and not get into the water. The stream is usually closer up there I think but the diving options are greater in Key West and to the west. At least that's my understanding.

That's debatable especially if you prefer spearfishing. It's probably a wash really if you like to fish from the boat and not get into the water. The stream is usually closer up there I think but the diving options are greater in Key West and to the west. At least that's my understanding.
I don’t spear fish. My philosophy is that I’m an apex predator and remain that as long as I’m in the boat. Once I hit water, I’m bait.

Reactions: hooks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT