ADVERTISEMENT

Kenneth Starr and Baylor

HurdyGurdyEer

All-Conference
Aug 18, 2012
The situation at Baylor is what it is and there are good reasons for many people, from Baylor loyalists to casual fans of football, and just people in general, to be disgusted with the way that Baylor football operated in recent years.

But have you asked yourself why Baylor hasn't fired Kenneth Starr rather than retain him as chancellor?

Apparently the reason is that he, Starr, is the one who actually brought in the law firm of Pepper Hamilton to do Baylor's in-house investigation. And PH doesn't even have an office in Texas. He, Starr, went to one of the best law firms in the country that has a couple of attorneys that specialize in issues of sexual abuse.

Things did get out of control on Starr's watch. But Starr is the one who pursued the best means to get things back under control. You gotta give him credit for that.

The situation at Baylor is what it is and there are good reasons for many people, from Baylor loyalists to casual fans of football, and just people in general, to be disgusted with the way that Baylor football operated in recent years.

But have you asked yourself why Baylor hasn't fired Kenneth Starr rather than retain him as chancellor?

Apparently the reason is that he, Starr, is the one who actually brought in the law firm of Pepper Hamilton to do Baylor's in-house investigation. And PH doesn't even have an office in Texas. He, Starr, went to one of the best law firms in the country that has a couple of attorneys that specialize in issues of sexual abuse.

Things did get out of control on Starr's watch. But Starr is the one who pursued the best means to get things back under control. You gotta give him credit for that.

Starr may have been a great lawyer, but apparently was not a great administrator. That sort of thing happens all the time in business and politics. It's called the Peter Principle. Managers rise to their level of incompetence.

It's also hard to fire someone in his position without getting sued unless you have all your ducks in a row. For now, Starr is in a figure head position until the process plays out. If he's found culpable, then he'll get axed. Starr is a big name. If they fire him when everything hits the fan, then it makes Baylor look "serious" when it comes to sex crimes. They are waiting for evidence to process and for that event to be a negotiating chip with the NCAA.

PH was Louis Freeh's previous firm. PH merged/took over Freeh Sporkin and Sullivan and prior to that Freeh used PH as a resource while investigating Penn State (some of the investigation was handled by PH employees). That relationship is now over and the two firms separated, apparently.

Freeh and Starr have a professional/political relationship. PH wasn't picked out of a hat.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with anything I just mentioned, just more food for thought.

This is the second or third time you've made a post gushing over how Baylor is handling this...imo, they're just doing whatever anyone does once they're caught - CYA.

Reactions: Monroeer
PH was Louis Freeh's previous firm. PH merged/took over Freeh Sporkin and Sullivan and prior to that Freeh used PH as a resource while investigating Penn State (some of the investigation was handled by PH employees). That relationship is now over and the two firms separated, apparently.

Freeh and Starr have a professional/political relationship. PH wasn't picked out of a hat.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with anything I just mentioned, just more food for thought.

This is the second or third time you've made a post gushing over how Baylor is handling this...imo, they're just doing whatever anyone does once they're caught - CYA.

This. All of it.

It's also hard to fire someone in his position without getting sued unless you have all your ducks in a row. For now, Starr is in a figure head position until the process plays out. If he's found culpable, then he'll get axed. Starr is a big name. If they fire him when everything hits the fan, then it makes Baylor look "serious" when it comes to sex crimes. They are waiting for evidence to process and for that event to be a negotiating chip with the NCAA.

My initial thought was they'd let him demote so he could retire and maintain whatever pension he was vested in, but after thinking about it, probably not?

I love the symmetry of him becoming famous for what eventually proved to be a high profile sex scandal and going out as Baylor president for another sex scandal. But, What I really need to know is whether any of this matters at all to WVU?

Starr's real value to Baylor is that he raises butt loads of money for that university. Demote him to Chancellor or law professor but they will not cut ties with the goose that lays the golden eggs.

No one is gushing over Ken Starr. The fact remains that HE is the one who instigated the process of outside investigators. No matter what his future may hold, with or without Baylor, the man did the right thing.

We can argue that he should have done something sooner. But that would still reinforce the fact that eventually HE was the one who took the bull by the horns in order to unravel the mess. And I suspect that he did so knowing that the investigation would have ramifications for himself. His post-investigation comments seem to indicate he knew all along that he wouldn't go untouched.

Currently, in addition to serving as chancellor, he remains as professor of constitutional law in Baylor's law school (he may hold a chair in the law school) and he is on the board of trustees for Baylor's school of medicine. I strongly suspect that if he does not continue connections with Baylor it will be his own decision.

Again .... no gushing here ..... I just think that sometimes in the feeding frenzy that often follows stories like this only the absolute worst aspects of people get trumpeted. He messed up by allowing the football program to go too far in issuing "second chances" with high risk players. And then he did the right thing.

Starr's real value to Baylor is that he raises butt loads of money for that university. Demote him to Chancellor or law professor but they will not cut ties with the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Was he "demoted" to law professor? Or was he already a professor of law at Baylor?
There really is a difference.

And speaking of eggs, who came first to Baylor? Art Briles or Kenneth Starr?
The correct answer will tell you who got the head start on the way Baylor's football program was being managed.

Ken Starr stepped up and did the right thing .... I think we all agree it should have happened sooner. But he did do something and frankly, none of us know the inner workings at Baylor. We only know that Starr eventually did the right thing.

I mean .... think about it .... the alternative would have been to retain Briles and attempt to change the culture and move forward and make the best of things. Maybe Starr was attempting to do that all along and realized too late that he was failing and then called in the investigators. None of us really know. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he is the one who got the ball rolling on the investigation.

One day, I suspect, the whole story will come out. And if I were a betting man I would bet that Starr will be seen as a good man who stepped into the middle of a mess and only screwed up by trying to steer things in the right direction before he realized he would not be able to do so. I would bet on it.

No one is gushing over Ken Starr. The fact remains that HE is the one who instigated the process of outside investigators. No matter what his future may hold, with or without Baylor, the man did the right thing.

We can argue that he should have done something sooner. But that would still reinforce the fact that eventually HE was the one who took the bull by the horns in order to unravel the mess. And I suspect that he did so knowing that the investigation would have ramifications for himself. His post-investigation comments seem to indicate he knew all along that he wouldn't go untouched.

Currently, in addition to serving as chancellor, he remains as professor of constitutional law in Baylor's law school (he may hold a chair in the law school) and he is on the board of trustees for Baylor's school of medicine. I strongly suspect that if he does not continue connections with Baylor it will be his own decision.

Again .... no gushing here ..... I just think that sometimes in the feeding frenzy that often follows stories like this only the absolute worst aspects of people get trumpeted. He messed up by allowing the football program to go too far in issuing "second chances" with high risk players. And then he did the right thing.

You can paint as many halo's on Starr as you want but this decision was obviously made for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT