ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas last score

UloseOnthursday

Freshman
Mar 24, 2015
I have no problem with Kansas trying to score at the end of the game. Why not practice your 2 minute offense and try to get better. The same goes for the 2 point conversion, it was just more practice. Who knows when they may need a 2 point conversion in a crucial situation. Dana could have ran out the clock but instead threw a touchdown pass to Sills V. My thought is play till the end, it is up to the defense to stop it. Thoughts?

The famous story of Lou Holtz complaining to the other coach about running up the score: "It's YOUR job to hold down the score."

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17

U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence

N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6

T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34

A ntsy time for fans, vs. Kansas!, 38-22

I n 6th place nationally heading to Ames and Iowa State

N ail Baylor

E rectile dysfunction Texas

E lectrify TCU

R eam Oklahoma State

S laughter Oklahoma

Had a coach recently who was ticked off that we didn't let them score at the end of the game, that we had 2 starters still in. #1, the score was only 20-0. #2, we had replaced everyone except the MLB and the safety with reserves. We didn't have anymore reserves to throw in at those positions. #3 it's not our job to score on defense, it's our job to stop you.

I don't see a problem with what Kansas did.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I have no problem with Kansas trying to score at the end of the game. Why not practice your 2 minute offense and try to get better. The same goes for the 2 point conversion, it was just more practice. Who knows when they may need a 2 point conversion in a crucial situation. Dana could have ran out the clock but instead threw a touchdown pass to Sills V. My thought is play till the end, it is up to the defense to stop it. Thoughts?

Kansas has predominantly been the conference doormat. Weeks ago, one of their own administrators publicly stated that the school should consider forgoing the football program.

I know it was against our 2's, but we're accountable for stopping the Jayhawks.

I had no problem with it. Other than the fact WVU defensive players did not give their best to stop them.

The game is 60 minutes. Both teams should play to the end. No apologies either way.

It was against our 3-4's and walk-ons. I wouldn't give it much thought.

What the Fighting Iowegians have left in the emotional tank after their win over OSU worries me more than what a bunch of back-ups do at mop-up time against Kansas. ISU is one up and down team.

Why is this and who is making an issue out of this nonissue?

I have no problem with Kansas trying to score at the end of the game

Why, particularly when you are getting beat, would any time not go for a score? Really. Is just give up an option? Kansas played through the game and gave their coach something to build on.

The famous story of Lou Holtz complaining to the other coach about running up the score: "It's YOUR job to hold down the score."

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17

U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence

N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6

T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34

A ntsy time for fans, vs. Kansas!, 38-22

I n 6th place nationally heading to Ames and Iowa State

N ail Baylor

E rectile dysfunction Texas

E lectrify TCU

R eam Oklahoma State

S laughter Oklahoma

Particularly famous because 'the other coach' running up the score was WVU's Bobby Bowden in 1970 when Dr. Lou was a just a wisecracking, neophyte coach at William and Mary. WVU was expecting big things that year, after the 10-1 Peach Bowl championship season. Ranked Top 20 in 1970 preseason by Sports Illustrated (a big deal then) -- with a nice writeup featuring a painting looking into Old Mountaineer Field from a Westover vantage point (need to find that) prominently showing the old brick smokestack by the Field House -- WVU 'underachieved' somewhat and failed to get a bowl bid despite going 8-3 and finishing with wins over Syracuse and Maryland. I still remember being on the turf and hearing Jim Braxton yelling "King of the East!!" after the Syracuse win, the Orangemen (name at the time) may have beaten both Pitt and Penn State... Not sure but WVU beat neither.

Ironically, after whipping Holtz 43-7 in the opener, WVU soon thereafter blew the 35-8 halftime lead at Pitt, losing 36-35. Bobby should have heeded his own advice.

And now you know the rest of the story.

Particularly famous because 'the other coach' running up the score was WVU's Bobby Bowden in 1970 when Dr. Lou was a just a wisecracking, neophyte coach at William and Mary. WVU was expecting big things that year, after the 10-1 Peach Bowl championship season. Ranked Top 20 in 1970 preseason by Sports Illustrated (a big deal then) -- with a nice writeup featuring a painting looking into Old Mountaineer Field from a Westover vantage point (need to find that) prominently showing the old brick smokestack by the Field House -- WVU 'underachieved' somewhat and failed to get a bowl bid despite going 8-3 and finishing with wins over Syracuse and Maryland. I still remember being on the turf and hearing Jim Braxton yelling "King of the East!!" after the Syracuse win, the Orangemen (name at the time) may have beaten both Pitt and Penn State... Not sure but WVU beat neither.

Ironically, after whipping Holtz 43-7 in the opener, WVU soon thereafter blew the 35-8 halftime lead at Pitt, losing 36-35. Bobby should have heeded his own advice.

And now you know the rest of the story.
Good grief, what a terrible schedule we played that season. Even so, you have to believe hanging on to the Pitt game instead of blowing it would have resulted in a bowl bid at 9-2. I'm glad I wasn't there to see that one, no doubt it would've killed me like 1989 did.

ADVERTISEMENT