ADVERTISEMENT

just now realized wvu has whiffed on all but one top in-state grid player......

john in california

All-American
May 29, 2001
Long Beach, California
been busy and haven't checked recently, and just now realized wvu has whiffed on all but one top in-state grid player......wolfley has been headed to wvu since 2014, but what's up with these other schools waltzing into west virginia and taking pitts, etheridge and locklear? what about stewart and ross? ..... any chance wvu can land either one of them?.....sometimes it's hard to keep players in state when they get wanderlust, but damn.....wonder if opposing schools are using the question marks around holgs to plant bugs in the ears of top local recruits.....just a thought....i mean, it does seem holgs is on the hot seat......

it looks like wvu is cobbling together at least a decent recruiting class so far despite losing state prospects and there always is the juco route......hope they can get dante stills next year.....wvu is after darius, from what i see.....the ryan switzer thing still is an irritant, but from appearances, wvu at least made an effort to get these guys.....to change the subject for a moment, think wvu has a chance to be pretty good this year.....a very good season would help on the recruiting front.....it seems the wilkinson kid (class of '18) from wheeling has his eye on wvu......

Last edited:
been busy and haven't checked recently, and just now realized wvu has whiffed on all but one top in-state grid player......wolfley has been headed to wvu since 2014, but what's up with these other schools waltzing into west virginia and taking pitts, etheridge and locklear? what about stewart and ross? ..... any chance wvu can land either one of them?.....sometimes it's hard to keep players in state when they get wanderlust, but damn.....wonder if opposing schools are using the question marks around holgs to plant bugs in the ears of top local recruits.....just a thought....i mean, it does seem holgs is on the hot seat......

it looks like wvu is cobbling together at least a decent recruiting class so far despite losing state prospects and there always is the juco route......hope they can get dante stills next year.....wvu is after darius, from what i see.....the ryan switzer thing still is an irritant, but from appearances, wvu at least made an effort to get these guys.....to change the subject for a moment, think wvu has a chance to be pretty good this year.....a very good season would help on the recruiting front.....it seems the wilkinson kid (class of '18) from wheeling has his eye on wvu......
"...wonder if opposing schools are using the question marks around holgs to plant bugs in the ears of top local recruits.....You think?

Stewart already committed to LSU. And Ross is going to either UNC or Tennessee

But the 3 linemen were never an option from the get go. All expressed from day one zero desire to go to WVU, as all three grew up in Marshall households and never had anything to do with WVU. Stewart even said when he verballed to Marshall in 2015 that the only school he'd consider reopening his recruitment for was Ohio St... Well they never offered, so when he did change his mind about that MU commitment, WVU still offered immediately but there was no interest. He went to a camp at LSU and they offered and he immediately accepted. The only thing Locklear ever said to the press about his WVU offer was "it means now a lot more offers will start coming in".

Ross has never even held WVU in his "top schools"

Etheridge was a big disappointment...... Lonny Galloway stole that one. We recruited that kid first, often, and well.... His HS coach is a big WVU fan and our coaches were at his HS all the time. Lonnie just won him over at the last minute

Pitts has come out and said multiple troubling things about his decision since Wesnesday. He said on a radio interview that both Dana's contract status and the fact that Penn St had more black coaches played a big part in his decision. Penn St won his mother over too....... Tyler Boyd-style..... Pitts also has a "mentor" who, hours before the announcement, was on Twitter running his mouth about how he prefers "his guys" go out of state for college because "WV got nothing for us".

Etheridge also trains with this "mentor" so that shows who was in these kids' ears

Reactions: torontoeers
I have noticed that most every teams roster is filled with players from 'out of state'. It's all good. WV takes them from Pennsylvania, Florida, Texas, Maryland, etc. It's all good.

It's hilarious 3 of these 6 kids were never going to WVU and people just cannot see that. WVU missed on 2 in State kids.

It's not over

Pitts already has an official visit to WVU planned this fall, and I bet we get one from Etheridge too

It's not over

Pitts already has an official visit to WVU planned this fall, and I bet we get one from Etheridge too
If PS has a mediocre year, and WV does better than expected then I would expect Pitts to open things back up. Franklin and Terry $mith might have given them $ome additional reasons to consider Ped St.

Pitts' dad has been in a Pennsylvania prison for the past few years, but he is up for parole during his son's freshman season in 2017. Going to home games in State College should not be an issue with the parole board, but crossing a state line into Morgantown might require jumping through some legal hoops. Nothing that I've read has said this was a major factor in his decision, but one can only wonder.

Also, Pitts is originally from New Jersey, and Penn State is Jersey's Team.

WVU offered and was turned down. It's the end of the story unless it changes. And commitments in Summertime are like Christmas lists in summertime, they change.

Honestly though, why does it matter? More than 1/2 won't be at the school they chose after 1 season if statistics hold true. Seriously! I don't think they'll be building statues or making bronze busts to any of these guys. I don't think any of these are a Randy Moss or Curt Warner or Robert Alexander.

Imo the only sure fire we screwed up not offering this guy was Curt Warner, the rb from pineville, not Kurt Warner, the QB from northern Iowa.

To go with a WV saying to put all this to rest, "What ever happens, happens!"

Lot's of great information in this thread to ponder...(particularly KC, & 43rd...thanks gents)...john I believe has some plausible answers now....1 month...can't get here soon enough! [WVU]

It's hilarious 3 of these 6 kids were never going to WVU and people just cannot see that. WVU missed on 2 in State kids.
true dat, but facts are west va had a number of top recruits and has, at this point, missed out on five out of six.....if wvu never had a chance with three of them, why not?.....that could be a reflection on the current coaching situation, could it not?.....same goes for the other two.....just sayin'......

WVU offered and was turned down. It's the end of the story unless it changes. And commitments in Summertime are like Christmas lists in summertime, they change.

Honestly though, why does it matter? More than 1/2 won't be at the school they chose after 1 season if statistics hold true. Seriously! I don't think they'll be building statues or making bronze busts to any of these guys. I don't think any of these are a Randy Moss or Curt Warner or Robert Alexander.

Imo the only sure fire we screwed up not offering this guy was Curt Warner, the rb from pineville, not Kurt Warner, the QB from northern Iowa.

To go with a WV saying to put all this to rest, "What ever happens, happens!"
or even a ryan switzer?..... ;) .....couldn't resist......

Stewart already committed to LSU. And Ross is going to either UNC or Tennessee

But the 3 linemen were never an option from the get go. All expressed from day one zero desire to go to WVU, as all three grew up in Marshall households and never had anything to do with WVU. Stewart even said when he verballed to Marshall in 2015 that the only school he'd consider reopening his recruitment for was Ohio St... Well they never offered, so when he did change his mind about that MU commitment, WVU still offered immediately but there was no interest. He went to a camp at LSU and they offered and he immediately accepted. The only thing Locklear ever said to the press about his WVU offer was "it means now a lot more offers will start coming in".

Ross has never even held WVU in his "top schools"

Etheridge was a big disappointment...... Lonny Galloway stole that one. We recruited that kid first, often, and well.... His HS coach is a big WVU fan and our coaches were at his HS all the time. Lonnie just won him over at the last minute

Pitts has come out and said multiple troubling things about his decision since Wesnesday. He said on a radio interview that both Dana's contract status and the fact that Penn St had more black coaches played a big part in his decision. Penn St won his mother over too....... Tyler Boyd-style..... Pitts also has a "mentor" who, hours before the announcement, was on Twitter running his mouth about how he prefers "his guys" go out of state for college because "WV got nothing for us".

Etheridge also trains with this "mentor" so that shows who was in these kids' ears
holgs record to this point (15-21 in the big12, 26-25 overall the past four years) has not made wvu a must-look from in-state recruits, i submit.....suggest a big season would help him.....too bad this all happened when there was a bevy of in-state recruits.....this year is crucial for holgs in a couple of ways, or more.....i hold hope we can have a big year in 2016.....as a bonus.....the schedule is situated much better than last year......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT