ADVERTISEMENT

Just like w evolu / creation, we must "teach the controversy" in math. Lnk

Op2

All-Conference
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2014
Scientists say evolution and Christian fundamentalists say creationism. So to be fair we much teach both in science class.

Okay, how about math class? Mathematicians say pi is 3.14159..... (Today, 3 / 14 / 15 is Pi Day, those smug mathematicians arrogantly proclaim). However according to the Bible verse in the link below, pi is NOT 3.14159.... Instead, pi is 3.

Whenever there is disagreement between secular experts and religious experts the only fair thing to do is to teach the controversy. We need to change our math books to remedy this outrage.

This post was edited on 3/14 3:49 PM by Op2

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Kings+7%3A23&version=KJV

Re: do you think the two are equivalent must teachings?**

I'm just making the point that the Bible isn't a math or science book. Let's leave math for math class, science for science class and the Bible for church or Sunday School, or perhaps in regular school as part of a dispassionate comparative religion class but not as a form of advocacy for any particular religion.

well to be honest, which you rarely are, you didn't make a point

you make a statement and then when pressed add your intended meaning later.

neither are "must" teachings.

Re: well to be honest, which you rarely are, you didn't make a point

So now I'm chronically dishonest? Oh, okay.

My original post was pretty clearly sarcasm. Some people seriously say that creationism should be taught in science class because we have to "teach the controversy." I was poking fun at that.

you are chronically dishonest because you chronically do not support your assertions with facts and make up stuff not supported by facts. Lack of facts when claiming something as truth and arguing it as fact and truth when it isn't is dishonest. You do that CHRONICALLY.

who said the bible was a math book?

Perhaps you could build a strawman from all those straw you keep grasping at?

You once said that just signing a bill no matter what was in it was better than signing nothing at all. Clearly you have no standing to ever speak again.

Originally posted by Op2:
Scientists say evolution and Christian fundamentalists say creationism. So to be fair we much teach both in science class.

Okay, how about math class? Mathematicians say pi is 3.14159..... (Today, 3 / 14 / 15 is Pi Day, those smug mathematicians arrogantly proclaim). However according to the Bible verse in the link below, pi is NOT 3.14159.... Instead, pi is 3.

Whenever there is disagreement between secular experts and religious experts the only fair thing to do is to teach the controversy. We need to change our math books to remedy this outrage.

This post was edited on 3/14 3:49 PM by Op2
What we have here is an anachronistic misunderstanding. You are a citizen of a 21st century, western, post-industrial cultural. The passage in question was written from 10th century BC, eastern, agrarian, culture. One of the first things a student of this latter culture learns is their lack of specificity. Engineers need to be exacting, not farmers. Your example demonstrates your lack of understanding of ancient cultures.

Re: I don't want them teaching creation

And how do you know they don't teach evolution well? Do you have a PhD in Biology? Or do you not have a PhD in Biology but just happen to know better than the Biology PhDs how evolution should be taught?

LOL

I have 4 kids, and know what they're taught. It doesn't take a PhD to know better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT