ADVERTISEMENT

Just a curious thought

Motown Mounty

All-American
May 29, 2001
Do wee see Marshall dropping down in football over the next 4-5 years? The Southern Conference would be a lot of fun I believe. Discuss.

I doubt if their pride would allow them to drop down to a lower level. IMHO they should have stayed in the MAC, more true now that CUSA has screwed them over with the conference payout, which doesn't even cover their travel costs. The MAC pays more, has more games televised, and Marshall was competitive there. With other CUSA programs hiring the likes of Butch Davis and Lane Kiffin (both of whom will probably out coach and definitely out recruit Marshall), I can't see Marshall doing anything in the long term other than staying right where they are and becoming a CUSA bottom feeder.

Last edited:
There's a huge percentage of the Herd fan base that feels they belong with the big boys. That sentiment is true with many of the G5 member institutions.

As for my personal opinion, it makes no sense for most of the G5 squads to be competing at that level. Financially, they simply cannot keep up.

I've been a staunch proponent of splitting up the haves from the have-nots for many years. If you're a fan of the Herd, or for that matter, a fan of Northern Illinois, what do you really have to play for? If you go undefeated, the best you can do is go to one of the NYD bowl games. In other words, you'll never be competing for the national title. It makes no sense, or at least it doesn't to me, to be a part of something where you have zero chance of being the champ.

The problem is that there's no easy solution to splitting them up, into say 80 teams playing at the higher level, and then tossing the rest into a level between D1 and FCS. There will always be several teams right on the cusp of wanting to be in D1, so you likely need a czar to pick & choose who stays/who goes.

Personally, if I were a Marshall admin, I would prefer to be able to compete for a championship. Makes more sense to me playing 'like teams' in a 16 team playoff as opposed to going to Boca Raton to play a Sun Belt team.

Reactions: old buzzard
I have read that some Herd fans dream of being invited to the AAC. To make that jump would be another huge mistake in my opinion. Most of the AAC operates on nearly twice the budget Marshall has to work with, and unfortunately in the college football world, money talks. And walks.

MichiganHerd mentioned what he'd do if he were a Marshall admin - If I was in that position I'd go back to the MAC and beg and plead for them to once again take Marshall back. Though they play games on week nights at least they get some national television exposure, unlike CUSA. The MAC is where they belong if they want to stay in the G-5, but they may have burned that bridge once too often.

There's a huge percentage of the Herd fan base that feels they belong with the big boys. That sentiment is true with many of the G5 member institutions.

As for my personal opinion, it makes no sense for most of the G5 squads to be competing at that level. Financially, they simply cannot keep up.

I've been a staunch proponent of splitting up the haves from the have-nots for many years. If you're a fan of the Herd, or for that matter, a fan of Northern Illinois, what do you really have to play for? If you go undefeated, the best you can do is go to one of the NYD bowl games. In other words, you'll never be competing for the national title. It makes no sense, or at least it doesn't to me, to be a part of something where you have zero chance of being the champ.

The problem is that there's no easy solution to splitting them up, into say 80 teams playing at the higher level, and then tossing the rest into a level between D1 and FCS. There will always be several teams right on the cusp of wanting to be in D1, so you likely need a czar to pick & choose who stays/who goes.

Personally, if I were a Marshall admin, I would prefer to be able to compete for a championship. Makes more sense to me playing 'like teams' in a 16 team playoff as opposed to going to Boca Raton to play a Sun Belt team.
Although it seems unlikely that a G-5 could do better than the Cotton Bowl as last season( WMU) the homer in me cannot fully admit that it is " impossible" for a G-5 team to make the playoffs.

I have read that some Herd fans dream of being invited to the AAC. To make that jump would be another huge mistake in my opinion. Most of the AAC operates on nearly twice the budget Marshall has to work with, and unfortunately in the college football world, money talks. And walks.

MichiganHerd mentioned what he'd do if he were a Marshall admin - If I was in that position I'd go back to the MAC and beg and plead for them to once again take Marshall back. Though they play games on week nights at least they get some national television exposure, unlike CUSA. The MAC is where they belong if they want to stay in the G-5, but they may have burned that bridge once too often.
Ask me again after we play UC in September...no doubt those programs have bigger budget's but what they put on the gridiron doesn't seem to be much better than what we roll out.

Ask me again after we play UC in September...no doubt those programs have bigger budget's but what they put on the gridiron doesn't seem to be much better than what we roll out.

I'm having a deja vu moment flashing back to last year at about this time when you were telling us how your team was going to leave a mark on Louisville. How'd that work out ?

I'm having a deja vu moment flashing back to last year at about this time when you were telling us how your team was going to leave a mark on Louisville. How'd that work out ?
Of course the Cards are not an AAC team ...last one we played was UConn and I thought we won rather easily.

I would watch a G5 playoff. I enjoy watching those games. The money has really made the gap too wide for most of the G5 schools to compete other than the few upsets a year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT