ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Joint statement from West Virginia University Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker & Head Men's Basketball Coach Josh Eilert

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Joint statement from West Virginia University Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker & Head Men's Basketball Coach Josh Eilert

"On behalf of West Virginia University Intercollegiate Athletics, we believe the NCAA has made a grave mistake and misjudgment with regard to first denying RaeQuan Battle's request for a waiver and now in his eventual appeal. Both denials have produced nothing but hardship and penalty.

The intent of the transfer waiver process is to provide relief for extenuating and extraordinary circumstances that are outside the control of the student-athlete. There is no question that RaeQuan's case clearly calls for a waiver so that he can continue his academic and athletic career on a positive tract. Despite overwhelming evidence that RaeQuan clearly meets the established criteria for relief, the NCAA's decision to deny does nothing but penalize a student-athlete for negative situations and environments that others have caused him.

As our peer institutions have noted recently during this waiver process in their respective cases, we join them in being confused and saddened by the arbitrary process.

Dating back to at least 2013, RaeQuan has endured a vast amount of trauma in and around his life. It was published earlier this year that RaeQuan was the only Native American to play in the 2023 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. He is believed to be the first from the Tulalip Tribe to receive a Division I basketball scholarship.

Disappointed, disheartened and certainly frustrated are the emotions our entire basketball program is dealing with right now due to this short-sighted decision. It has already been requested by the Division I Board of Directors to review the existing transfer rules and waiver guidelines. Furthermore, the chair of the board was specifically quoted stating the NCAA would 'continue to view student-athlete well-being and mental health as a priority for the Association.' RaeQuan clearly meets the criteria, but once again the NCAA has failed to do the right thing for the well-being and mental health of the student-athlete. The right thing would improve the life of a young student-athlete and correct his path to academic and athletic success.

RaeQuan Battle should be playing basketball for West Virginia University while he continues to pursue a bachelor's degree at WVU, and we will continue to have his best interests in mind and fully support RaeQuan."

the NCAA doesn't respond to anything on x(twitter)...if we get in real foul trouble there could be a Hoosiers moment with four on the court.

The real Battle for Battle has begun.

Sue the NCAA and ask they be dismantled.

So is this now a dead issue? Getting the courts involved wouldn't impact him this year as it would probably be too long of a process.

putting out a weak statement accomplishes nothing. It may not affect this year, but the NCAA needs to be sued. They created this portal mess, so they need to be held to account for the disparate treatment being given to athletes. I'm not sure anyone in the administration or athletic department has the stones to do it, though.

I am still waiting to see what Harbaugh actually did to be suspended. In other words: the “red handed” moment in all of this.

So is this now a dead issue? Getting the courts involved wouldn't impact him this year as it would probably be too long of a process.
What would be the penalty to play him anyway? We aren't going to win many games in the Big12 with so few players.

Rules and laws are to be followed regardless if you agree with it or not in this country.

Rules and laws are to be followed regardless if you agree with it or not in this country.
The NCAA rules are total BS. More like communistic rule. Teams all across the US are getting players approved to play but not WVU. The kid deserves the right to play compared to the others that have been approved. NCAA needs dismantled.

I hope WVU continues with the law suit.

Reactions: wvufaninarkansas
I don't disagree. I dislike the attitude of recent years that laws and rules don't matter. They do and need consequences for intentionally violating. I don't want our fan base think it is ok. I am very pleased in my lifetime, we haven't suffered serious violations and hope it continues.

I don't disagree. I dislike the attitude of recent years that laws and rules don't matter. They do and need consequences for intentionally violating. I don't want our fan base think it is ok. I am very pleased in my lifetime, we haven't suffered serious violations and hope it continues.
NCAA rules with an iron thumb if they know they can repress the little guy. The rules need to be changed or NCAA dismantled. It's time for a new system. There’s this lack of consistency by the NCAA that, to me, it’s just unacceptable.

Virginia attorney general Jason Miyares is threatening to take legal action against the NCAA after James Madison was deemed ineligible for a bowl game due to moving up from FCS to FBS.

Florida vs NCAA and threatening litigation over the eligibility of Darrell Jackson transfer from FSU.

JMU has dropped their lawsuit after the loss to Appalachian State. JMU will be bowl eligible only if there are not enough teams to qualify for bowls.

Cincinnati, UNC and countless others have threatened suits against NCAA on eligibility of transfer players and NCAA backed off allowing them to play.

Battle deserves to play this year.

What would be the penalty to play him anyway? We aren't going to win many games in the Big12 with so few players.
Probably NCAA sanctions, loss of scholarships, loss of games, no postseason for many years.......pretty much the SMU death penalty.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Probably NCAA sanctions, loss of scholarships, loss of games, no postseason for many years.......pretty much the SMU death penalty.
Every game ineligible player competes in must be forfeited. Loss of scholarships and penalties of no tournament play. Plus possible fines.

I'm sure the NCAA is shaking in their boots from our "joint letter". What SHOULD be done is a class action lawsuit against the NCAA. WVU could start it, and I'm sure other schools/states would love to join in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT