ADVERTISEMENT

JLW ,Bru, other garden freaks

Snow Sled Baby

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
Staunton Va
last year every one of my squash and cucumber plants rotted and died. This year with them planted in the same soil (although refreshed) I pulled and ate squash after 40 days and cucumbers after 46..........me....I think that since Mr Trump got elected even the gardens are producing better........Make Vegetables Great Again !!!!!!!:victory:

last year every one of my squash and cucumber plants rotted and died. This year with them planted in the same soil (although refreshed) I pulled and ate squash after 40 days and cucumbers after 46..........me....I think that since Mr Trump got elected even the gardens are producing better........Make Vegetables Great Again !!!!!!!:victory:

Well, did you perhaps purchase Russian seeds this year??? [laughing][laughing][laughing][laughing][laughing]:americanflag:

Interesting. I had several years where I had the same problem, and this year they doing very well. Tomatoes, and peppers look great and in fact, I've picked a few jalapeños already. I also have my first pick of beans ready to to go tonight or tomorrow.

There could be many factors. I'm so fed up with animals eating my beautiful tomatoes I can just scream. I just don't know how to protect my plants from the critters.

There could be many factors. I'm so fed up with animals eating my beautiful tomatoes I can just scream. I just don't know how to protect my plants from the critters.
I've tried all kinds of different natural remedies (human hair, peppermint spray, coyote urine, and some others) and they all work for awhile and then they get used to it and you have to try a different tactic. I finally just put up a fence around the garden and haven't had any problems with deer anymore. I also hung an owl on a fence post to scare away squirrels and other varmint, which seems to work. Although I haven't moved in in a long time it might be time to do that again.

Call this guy....[thumbsup]

75.jpg

I've tried all kinds of different natural remedies (human hair, peppermint spray, coyote urine, and some others) and they all work for awhile and then they get used to it and you have to try a different tactic. I finally just put up a fence around the garden and haven't had any problems with deer anymore. I also hung an owl on a fence post to scare away squirrels and other varmint, which seems to work. Although I haven't moved in in a long time it might be time to do that again.
I might have to go the owl route. I've thought of it but haven't done it. I can't do a fence and that won't work for the squirrels anyway. Thanks for the suggestions.

Electric fence is the only way to go. Mine is only a 6 volt solar recharged system but it keeps all the critters out and doesn't do more than surprise one of the neighbor kids if they happen to brush up against it.

last year every one of my squash and cucumber plants rotted and died. This year with them planted in the same soil (although refreshed) I pulled and ate squash after 40 days and cucumbers after 46

There is a nasty little beetle or bug of some sort that eats its way up the stem and kills squash and cucumbers.......I've had that problem in the past but not this year, at least so far.

Interesting. I had several years where I had the same problem, and this year they doing very well. Tomatoes, and peppers look great and in fact, I've picked a few jalapeños already. I also have my first pick of beans ready to to go tonight or tomorrow.

I don't have jalapenos this year, but I have picked some hungarian wax and some cubanelles, along with cucumbers, green onions, romaine lettuce, and some herbs. I've also had some ripe cherry type tomatoes and the heirlooms are beginning to turn red. My beans (half runners and blue lakes) went in late and are just now starting to bloom. Soon I will be eating like a king !
Well, did you perhaps purchase Russian seeds this year??? [laughing][laughing][laughing][laughing][laughing]:americanflag:

All joking aside there are some very good tasting varieties of tomatoes that originated in Russia........

I don't have jalapenos this year, but I have picked some hungarian wax and some cubanelles, along with cucumbers, green onions, romaine lettuce, and some herbs. I've also had some ripe cherry type tomatoes and the heirlooms are beginning to turn red. My beans (half runners and blue lakes) went in late and are just now starting to bloom. Soon I will be eating like a king !

I started picking squash and cucumbers last week. I have a few cherry types ready to pick in the next few days. I love heirlooms, it's about all I plant anymore. Which ones do you like the best?

I might have to go the owl route. I've thought of it but haven't done it. I can't do a fence and that won't work for the squirrels anyway. Thanks for the suggestions.
I wouldn't do the owl route, as those birds can put a hurting on you, if they happen to turn on you and attack you.

my beagle mountain feist mix keeps the little furry creatures at bay.....feel your pain there

went the pole bean route this year....lots of flowers but no beans yet.......you ever play James River CC in Newport News?

my wife bought a stupid looking crane like bird on a metal stick that flops around to protect her blueberry bushes........it works

Got our first picking of green beans last night. Filled a grocery paper bag.

I have an owl that was hung on the house to keep woodpeckers off. I moved it to my garden. Probably too late but will see how it does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT