ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Bridges

deedoubleyou

All-Conference
Sep 9, 2018
Did anyone see the interview he did recently? Some juicy stuff. Figured I would paste some quotes so folks know how he really feels.

“We had team meetings and we broke it down for the coaches. We told them that we understood that they break players down and build them back up, but it felt like they forgot to ever build us back up.

They spent a lot of time drilling us. And to me, if they were cussing us and telling us we’re this and we’re that and it’s not working, why would they continue to do that? Why wouldn’t you switch it up and try a different approach, and maybe see if that would work?”

“I would rather be taught than just be yelled at. I’m fine with yelling if there’s teaching too. Not that there wasn’t any teaching, but they’d rather yell at you and put you on the treadmill than show you what to do and how to fix it. It’s like a punishment over actually getting better.”

Bridges went on to say that him and his teammates checked out at the end of the season and that he simply needed to go to a different situation. Bridges also said that playing out of position and a lack of playing time was part of his decision, but one of the main factors was that he scheduled a meeting with Bob Huggins and that meeting was blown off.
“I wanted to talk to Huggs and figure everything out. That meeting never happened.”

I don’t blame Huggins for not going to the meeting. If JB is a shooter, then we need to find a better use for that scholarship.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Jalen, STFU.

(Quote from Kenyan Martin)

"How he is with his guys. How he cares about his guys," Martin said on the show as he explained why Huggins was his best coach. "How he gets his guys to buy in. The things that he says to us behind the scenes to get you to believe that you can accomplish greatness. What he got out of me. How he pushed me to be who I am. You know, so I think that makes a great coach. He made me be a better me. I came to Cincinnati - I had certain attributes. But he made me fine-tune those things and work on things that he saw I needed to work on. And he told me what those things were. He didn't hold back, and he pushed me. ... One thing you're gonna do - you're gonna play hard (when) you play for Bob Huggins. And good coaches get you to buy into what you see. It was a good fear. But I was a kid then, I was young."

It's easy to blame the players and call them soft or lazy but it's become a recurring theme with this program and the problems have to be deeper. There is a list of players who have left this program under similar circumstances but as far as I remember this is the first time any of them have actually described it. Oscar said some things but not very well and was just dismissed as being unworthy. He was supposedly lazy and unwilling to learn until he was allowed to just play and display his skills.

Who among you would respond well to the situation Bridges described and give me a reason he would say such things if he didn't believe them? Being regularly degraded and then called out publicly for being lazy or not working hard enough by a coach or boss of any kind cannot lead to any positive outcomes. It can't just be Bridges and once again pretending it is will do nothing but assure more of the same thing happening in the future.

Reactions: Steak Sub
Jalen, STFU.

"How he is with his guys. How he cares about his guys," Martin said on the show as he explained why Huggins was his best coach. "How he gets his guys to buy in. The things that he says to us behind the scenes to get you to believe that you can accomplish greatness. What he got out of me. How he pushed me to be who I am. You know, so I think that makes a great coach. He made me be a better me. I came to Cincinnati - I had certain attributes. But he made me fine-tune those things and work on things that he saw I needed to work on. And he told me what those things were. He didn't hold back, and he pushed me. ... One thing you're gonna do - you're gonna play hard (when) you play for Bob Huggins. And good coaches get you to buy into what you see. It was a good fear. But I was a kid then, I was young."
That was then, this is now.

Reactions: Steak Sub
It's easy to blame the players and call them soft or lazy but it's become a recurring theme with this program and the problems have to be deeper. There is a list of players who have left this program under similar circumstances but as far as I remember this is the first time any of them have actually described it. Oscar said some things but not very well and was just dismissed as being unworthy. He was supposedly lazy and unwilling to learn until he was allowed to just play and display his skills.

Who among you would respond well to the situation Bridges described and give me a reason he would say such things if he didn't believe them? Being regularly degraded and then called out publicly for being lazy or not working hard enough by a coach or boss of any kind cannot lead to any positive outcomes. It can't just be Bridges and once again pretending it is will do nothing but assure more of the same thing happening in the future.
Huggs already recruited Bridges once. Rolled out the red carpet for him. Why should he meet with him to recruit him to stay? Go back and look at the career of Daxter Miles. Huggs tore in to him numerous times, benched him, etc., and how did Dax respond? Oh, he busted his a$$ and never said a word. These players want coaches to bow down to them, and coach them "nicely", even if they aren't producing or aren't putting forth much effort.

I'm not condoning belittling of anyone, but we all know that there are times when you deserve it and times you don't. Can you show me a moment when Huggs verbally reprimanded one of his players unprovoked?

Jalen, STFU.

Jalen may or may not be a soft b***h, but this Martin quote is referring to Huggins from over 2 decades ago. Possible the man has changed.

Probably both. Huggs has not changed, but our culture is different. Kids are coddled all the way through high school. Public schools have to graduate students or there are issues with funding. So we give them every opportunity not to fail, which is absolutely wrong.

Now colleges are feeling the effects of the "everyone gets a participation trophy" syndrome. Believe me, it is only going to get worse. I have been teaching for 33 years and what you are going to see in the next few years should scare any normal human being.

Entitlement reigns supreme and being a part of something and building it up to be great is out the door.

Possible. My point is the opinion a player who played for Huggins 25 years does not bolster your position as much as you'd think.
I believe it does. This generation has lot itself. In many ways. People like Huggins, and other "old-timers", have decided to not change and not conform to the new expectations. I applaud them for this. I raise my kids the way I was raised, tough love. You get a trophy or handshake when you win something, and you go back to working hard win or lose. It's not always someone else's fault. People who turn a blind eye to this new generation's misguided ways are part of the problem, too.

The fact is that Bridges wanted to meet with Huggs to tell him he's being too "mean" to him. A player, who very few wanted out of high school, who Huggs rolled out the red carpet for and gave him a scholarship, wanted to tell a HOF coach how he should "coach". I guarantee you that if there was a meeting requested (we are only hearing one side to this), Huggins knew that it wouldn't matter to anything that was said by Bridges because of what I stated.

I believe it does. This generation has lot itself. In many ways. People like Huggins, and other "old-timers", have decided to not change and not conform to the new expectations. I applaud them for this. I raise my kids the way I was raised, tough love. You get a trophy or handshake when you win something, and you go back to working hard win or lose. It's not always someone else's fault. People who turn a blind eye to this new generation's misguided ways are part of the problem, too.

The fact is that Bridges wanted to meet with Huggs to tell him he's being too "mean" to him. A player, who very few wanted out of high school, who Huggs rolled out the red carpet for and gave him a scholarship, wanted to tell a HOF coach how he should "coach". I guarantee you that if there was a meeting requested (we are only hearing one side to this), Huggins knew that it wouldn't matter to anything that was said by Bridges because of what I stated.

I am not here to defend Bridges. I am just saying to believe it is outside the realm of possibility that 69 year old coach is not doing the job as well as he did 2 decades ago is foolish. The being a hardass part of teaching and coaching is the easier part compared to the process of actually instilling the lessons. It is possible that Bridges is a b***h baby AND has a point that Huggins is not balancing things as well as he used to.

Did anyone see the interview he did recently? Some juicy stuff. Figured I would paste some quotes so folks know how he really feels.

“We had team meetings and we broke it down for the coaches. We told them that we understood that they break players down and build them back up, but it felt like they forgot to ever build us back up.

They spent a lot of time drilling us. And to me, if they were cussing us and telling us we’re this and we’re that and it’s not working, why would they continue to do that? Why wouldn’t you switch it up and try a different approach, and maybe see if that would work?”

“I would rather be taught than just be yelled at. I’m fine with yelling if there’s teaching too. Not that there wasn’t any teaching, but they’d rather yell at you and put you on the treadmill than show you what to do and how to fix it. It’s like a punishment over actually getting better.”

Bridges went on to say that him and his teammates checked out at the end of the season and that he simply needed to go to a different situation. Bridges also said that playing out of position and a lack of playing time was part of his decision, but one of the main factors was that he scheduled a meeting with Bob Huggins and that meeting was blown off.
“I wanted to talk to Huggs and figure everything out. That meeting never happened.”
Some of the things that concern the management of the team have a tone which matches thoughts I've been hearing for a couple of years. Starting off two years in a row with 6-7 new players seems not the way to build a solid, stable program. thoughts?

Jalen, STFU.

"Hey you kids, get off my lawn!"

I am not here to defend Bridges. I am just saying to believe it is outside the realm of possibility that 69 year old coach is not doing the job as well as he did 2 decades ago is foolish. The being a hardass part of teaching and coaching is the easier part compared to the process of actually instilling the lessons. It is possible that Bridges is a b***h baby AND has a point that Huggins is not balancing things as well as he used to.
Since he is 69 he should be put out to pasture then I guess.

Some of the things that concern the management of the team have a tone which matches thoughts I've been hearing for a couple of years. Starting off two years in a row with 6-7 new players seems not the way to build a solid, stable program. thoughts?
I think you Huggins haters are enjoying these shit lies from Bridges.

That was then, this is now.
Players today can't string together a coherent sentence...don't realize that there is a reward for patience, hardwork and loyalty...and need a teddy bear and safe room when their coach demands excellence. Soft...pampered..pussies.

Players today can't string together a coherent sentence...don't realize that there is a reward for patience, hardwork and loyalty...and need a teddy bear and safe room when their coach demands excellence. Soft...pampered..pussies.
I saw the Slurpee problem and decided it was my time to make it free. That straw spoon was coming home.

See Messidor quote of being scared and feeling unsafe then tell me Bridges isn't stretching the truth. Bridges like Messidor is looking for a cover story and excuse as why he gave up. I would respond well. Children today are weak minded pampered bitches.

How did WVU win 20 plus in Bridges first 2 seasons?

With that said Bridges does have more upside if he grows up.

Answer me this, why is Matthews returning if Huggins is such a monster?

See Messidor quote of being scared and feeling unsafe then tell me Bridges isn't stretching the truth. Bridges like Messidor is looking for a cover story and excuse as why he gave up. I would respond well. Children today are weak minded pampered bitches.

How did WVU win 20 plus in Bridges first 2 seasons?

With that said Bridges does have more upside if he grows up.

Answer me this, why is Matthews returning if Huggins is such a monster?
Solid point.

oh please Oscar left WVU for 1 M dollars , doesnt matter what excuse he used it was for 1M and he stayed at Kentucky for 2 M. He didnt improve has game from freshman year rebounds abd three foot shots

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Yet Matthews returned. I guess he's a glutton for punishment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT