ADVERTISEMENT

It has taken me a long time to get to this point, but

Perhaps some the most misguided posts ever on this board. Think about what we lost from last years team and having Esa sit for 16 games and we are ranked 5/6th and already have two B12 road wins. It is hard to see us dropping off much over the next several years. We likely won't see Hurdy posting again.

Reactions: WVU_Dave
The thing about Huggs is that even when his teams "struggled", you KNEW he would right the ship. He has built trust and you know he has pride in his work. His word counts.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Perhaps some the most misguided posts ever on this board. Think about what we lost from last years team and having Esa sit for 16 games and we are ranked 5/6th and already have two B12 road wins. It is hard to see us dropping off much over the next several years. We likely won't see Hurdy posting again.

Haven't seen Hurdy post in a long time.

This thread is just plain stupid!

Huggins is a Hall of Fame coach. If he can't win the NC at WVU, no one can or will.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Can you imagine what condition Morgantown as well as other spots across the state will be if WVU wins a Natty? The morning after will be... something.

Epic Thread of Failure Bump

I’m so confused! How does OP and anyone supporting OP even show their online tag again. I thought this was a troll thread then realized it was from Feb 15’. I can’t wait to get through this thread.

I'll admit that the swoon the basketball team went through after the departure of Butler made me question if Huggs was too long in the tooth or too dependent on getting certain types of athletes to be competitive. But it was just a concern and he more than earned an opportunity to turn it around. He did and proved my concerns were not a preview of what was to come.

I hope Huggs can exit with his head up and on the heels of a good season or two he has won a lot of games. Just me but when I look at most of the other athletic programs at WVU we seem to be on the rise. This may not be everyone's opinion but I have a lot more confidence in the direction of the football program and have been there for a while now. If you are going to play BBall in the B12 you have to be able to recruit and have a staff that can help move the program forward. It is just not the case in Mens Basketball. I think it would be a good move for Bobby to step down and get his health in order and let a new staff try to recruit players that can compete in this league. Would love to see a couple upsets and a decent NCAA run and then Huggs retire.
^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS,BIG LEAGUE!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^ :basketball::cheers2:[thumb2]:flyingwv:[thumbsup]

I am finally ready for a complete overhaul in the basketball program. This is very difficult for me because I loved Huggs as a player, I've loved him as a coach, and I think he's been a great Mountaineer, West Virginian, and person. It's time for a change though.

I think overall he has done a marvelous job getting this team to 19 wins so far, and eventually probably 21 or 22. This team has a lot of holes, and the only way to hide those holes is to play exactly the way we do - balls to the wall, 94 ft, in your face, and win ugly. This is the ONLY way this team can win. We can't shoot anywhere (3's, 2's, FT's, and worst team I've ever seen scoring at the rim), we are awful at passing the ball, our 1/2 court offense is just atrocious, and we can't defend in the 1/2 court. So the only chance is to turn people over and create enough offense out of our defense to win. Against equal or lesser teams that has been enough, but all of our weaknesses are now being exposed by better teams and that formula for success just won't get it.
So what is the answer? Getting better players - Huggins has said as much. He's right. The problem is he's not going to get them. The game has changed, players have changed, and Huggs is a dinosaur. His coaching style is incompatible with those changes and the best players just don't want to be treated the way he treats his players. What could be excused in the past as intensity on his part is now just embarrassing and boorish - Huggs has become a caricature of himself. It hurts to see that. This team plays hard and has exceeded most people's expectations, but one only needs to look at the players faces to see the cumulative effect of his coaching. This team looks exhausted emotionally, and combine that with the physical exhaustion that comes from the season-long frenetic pace with which they have played, and you have a team that is done.
This team will probably be better next year, assuming all the principle players return, and will probably win 20 again, but if winning a B12 championship or NC is the goal, it's not going to happen. You can win games with X's and O's, but you have to have the Jimmies and Joes to win championships and/or compete at the very highest level. Huggs can't get those players to Morgantown. It embarrasses me to watch him on the sideline anymore. I don't want him fired, but I hope he retires. He's earned the right to go out out on his own terms, and I hope he does that before his legacy becomes tarnished.

This post was edited on 2/15 2:59 PM by mountainEERnation

13 straight wins....and counting.

It's all I got to say about your 42 page book post. I only needed to read the first line of hate from you.

ADVERTISEMENT