ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the year Huggins wins a Big12 Title?

Volatility

Senior
Jun 27, 2018
Charleston WV
www.equitysciences.com
We all know the front court will be absolutely dominant this year. Factoring in Jalen Bridges now being a potential contributor, and Derek Culver improving his offensive abilities, if the back court have managed to take a few steps forward, and the entire team also improving free throws, I actually think this COULD....... COULD be the best team Huggins has put on the court since his time at WVU.

That is yet to be determined, as the team was extremely young last year, and with them finding their rhythm the last half of last season, if similar improvements have been made this offseason, WVU basketball team could very well be in the hunt for a not just a BIG12 title, but also a National Championship. Obviously we need a bit of luck, a few balls to bounce our way, but I think this is the year to raise expectations for the basketball team.

We all know the defense will not be a weakness of this team, as always with a Huggins team, it will come down to rebounds, shooting %, & free throw %. Huggins usually has good rebound stats, and if that stat >= his usual averages, but adding a higher shooting & free throw %, this team could def compete at the highest level this year.

If the usual strengths of a Huggins team are still strengths, maybe even slightly better this year, but with significant steps in offensive efficiency, this season could end with multiple trophies coming to Morgantown. I dont usually enter ANY season with high expectations, given our history its not emotionally wise, but with the talent he has on this team, now also more developed & experienced, it could be our year to shine..

Im def cautiously optimistic.... I do think we at least have a good shot at winning a Big12 title and making the Final Four, that would be a great year!

Much like last year, considering we are still a little young, I think the team will improve as the season progresses, so even if they start slow, I dont think its a cause for concern. When you look at how they was playing towards the end of last year, they was playing their best ball when it counted. Hopefully that trend continues..

We shall see, but its surely to be an exciting year for Basketball, as long as the team remains healthy.

Too inconsistent.

Miles McBride may show a lot more than he did last year.
But it won't be the entire year. Too many good backcourts in the Big 12.

Doesn't mean that this won't be a Sweet 16/Final 4 team

Just means that winning enough games to win the Big 12 Championship most likely won't happen until Huggins has his point guard
His teams are only as good as his PG. Look at McBride. Talented but inexperienced

Not too hard to see why

There are 5 supposedly legit teams and they all have top defenses.

Especially in the backcourt. Marcus Garrett is one of the best on the ball defenders I have seen in the Big 12

Then you have Lon Kruger and OU.
Always going to have a team that can spread the floor and shoot from distance.

Why not wait and see how it goes this weekend, then how the balance of the non-conference games go, then how we hold up the home court in conference play, then see how we fair on the road in conference, then we can see how the final conference stand........ don’t get ahead of your self.

WVU has yet to win the conference regular season title, so let’s try to make that the first goal and not visit the final four talk until April.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Michael Shapiro of SI picks WVU to win BIG12 & Make Final Four......

Im not saying it will happen, im just saying if there is a year to place higher expectations on the team, out of the last few years, it would be this year,, thats all..... no more.....no less

Jermaine Haley is a player I really liked

IMO the change was due to Haley
When he started getting minutes in 2018-2019 the season changed
Last year he was the guy at times.
Definitely was the most complete player. Should become a great pro player even if it is Europe.

But replacing a guy like him is much easier when you should get increase play at PG

They are a second weekend team. May have been last year

Why not wait and see how it goes this weekend, then how the balance of the non-conference games go, then how we hold up the home court in conference play, then see how we fair on the road in conference, then we can see how the final conference stand........ don’t get ahead of your self.

WVU has yet to win the conference regular season title, so let’s try to make that the first goal and not visit the final four talk until April.

How qucikly some forget this team started Feb. at 1-6. Before beating ISU and upsetting Baylor.

Jermaine Haley is a player I really liked

IMO the change was due to Haley
When he started getting minutes in 2018-2019 the season changed
Last year he was the guy at times.
Definitely was the most complete player. Should become a great pro player even if it is Europe.

But replacing a guy like him is much easier when you should get increase play at PG

They are a second weekend team. May have been last year

Im curious to see what type of production we will see from Jalen Bridges this year... A high 4 star, who choose to redshirt last year. He's listed as a shooting forward, and I never watched much of his HS film to know, but def think at the very least he'll add depth this year.

We all know the success of this team will completely depend on G & PG play, offensive efficiency, & free throw%. If we have improved in those areas we may contend, if not, we'll still make the playoffs, but fall short of a Elite8 or Final four. Either way, its going to be an exciting year to watch them play!

I believe Matthews needs to watch out. Jalen could unseat him at the starting position. But as everyone knows it doesn't matter on a Huggins team who starts and who comes off the bench. The 6th and 7th man last year played more minutes than the one starting in front of them. Plus Huggins likes to get players that can play more than 1 position.

Bridges can't play the 2
He is a 3,4 or 5

Matthews can play the 2

Difference between Matthews and Haley is that Haley could play every position.

We all know the front court will be absolutely dominant this year. Factoring in Jalen Bridges now being a potential contributor, and Derek Culver improving his offensive abilities, if the back court have managed to take a few steps forward, and the entire team also improving free throws, I actually think this COULD....... COULD be the best team Huggins has put on the court since his time at WVU.

That is yet to be determined, as the team was extremely young last year, and with them finding their rhythm the last half of last season, if similar improvements have been made this offseason, WVU basketball team could very well be in the hunt for a not just a BIG12 title, but also a National Championship. Obviously we need a bit of luck, a few balls to bounce our way, but I think this is the year to raise expectations for the basketball team.

We all know the defense will not be a weakness of this team, as always with a Huggins team, it will come down to rebounds, shooting %, & free throw %. Huggins usually has good rebound stats, and if that stat >= his usual averages, but adding a higher shooting & free throw %, this team could def compete at the highest level this year.

If the usual strengths of a Huggins team are still strengths, maybe even slightly better this year, but with significant steps in offensive efficiency, this season could end with multiple trophies coming to Morgantown. I dont usually enter ANY season with high expectations, given our history its not emotionally wise, but with the talent he has on this team, now also more developed & experienced, it could be our year to shine..

Im def cautiously optimistic.... I do think we at least have a good shot at winning a Big12 title and making the Final Four, that would be a great year!

Much like last year, considering we are still a little young, I think the team will improve as the season progresses, so even if they start slow, I dont think its a cause for concern. When you look at how they was playing towards the end of last year, they was playing their best ball when it counted. Hopefully that trend continues..

We shall see, but its surely to be an exciting year for Basketball, as long as the team remains healthy.
No

WVU still can get a Top seed without winning the Big 12

Doesn't really matter. Just as long as teams handle business there is a circle jerk at the top of the Big 12.

Postseason success is the only things that matters in the end.

Lol No. Huggins has a team other coaches would cheat to have but a system and staff nobody would want. People here are fine with throwing a top 10 salary at him because he's a WVU alum to reach the Sweet Sixteen and lose.

Every year people fall for the same coach speak, every year it's embarrassing to watch his team's play offense.

Not going to find too many teams with elite offenses and elite defenses together
This is what you need to play for a NC...

But what I do know is that coaches who crash the boards and get after you on the defensive end usually have success in NCAA Tournament Games.

The system he has works. Because it is the core of pretty much every program that has Championship DNA

Not going to win a NC by leaning on your offense...
Because teams who lean their defense will do what it takes to muck up the game as much as they can...
If you don't get after it on the defensive end and crash the boards...
You aren't making the plays to get through the second weekend.

It’s funny that a Marshall alum (allegedly) fake Texas fan has to weigh in on all things WVU. So f’n fake. Then again 25 profiles (prob more)....

Lol No. Huggins has a team other coaches would cheat to have but a system and staff nobody would want. People here are fine with throwing a top 10 salary at him because he's a WVU alum to reach the Sweet Sixteen and lose.

Every year people fall for the same coach speak, every year it's embarrassing to watch his team's play offense.

3-0

ADVERTISEMENT