ADVERTISEMENT

Is it possible that HCNB

EERs 3:16

Heisman Winner
Oct 17, 2001
that early on, he knew the team wasn't going to win, and allowed the team to play poorly so he'd have 'coaching material' for the upcoming weeks? Or am I just being overly hopeful?

It wasn't the x's and o's, it was the Jimmies and Joes.
I disagree. Sure the jimmys and joes played a role but there were no shortage of terrible play calls and lack of adjustments. We have had coaches in the past that could coach a team to play above its talent level. Brown has yet to do that with this program. Give him another extension AD.

I disagree. Sure the jimmys and joes played a role but there were no shortage of terrible play calls and lack of adjustments. We have had coaches in the past that could coach a team to play above its talent level. Brown has yet to do that with this program. Give him another extension AD.
Exactly

Reactions: CAK125 and JRZEER
that early on, he knew the team wasn't going to win, and allowed the team to play poorly so he'd have 'coaching material' for the upcoming weeks? Or am I just being overly hopeful?
I think your question/idea is too difficult to develop in any capacity.

What's possible is how many people predicted that wimpy Brown would shave his stupid looking goatee after he had his ass handed to him Saturday in Epic fashion. Did he? I can't believe I bought three tickets to that train wreck lol. Good grief.

Reactions: Rootmaster
This might be the case if you lose by 3, 7, or maybe 10. One can always look back and see a play or two that could have been called differently, mistakes made, etc.

But that didn't happen on Saturday. That was a butt-whippin by superior forces who were bigger, faster, stronger, and just as motivated as WVU was.

No amount of coaching is going to offset a 50% 5'10" QB, slow receivers, and a defensive line that cant get a pass rush.

This might be the case if you lose by 3, 7, or maybe 10. One can always look back and see a play or two that could have been called differently, mistakes made, etc.

But that didn't happen on Saturday. That was a butt-whippin by superior forces who were bigger, faster, stronger, and just as motivated as WVU was.

No amount of coaching is going to offset a 50% 5'10" QB, slow receivers, and a defensive line that cant get a pass rush.

What’s irritating to me is teams like BC can go into FSU and dominate up front in year 1. I know FSU was overrated but they have talent like PSU. We are in year 6. You gotta be able to out scheme great talent.

Reactions: deedoubleyou

no one is going to run on Penn St..they are NFL fast.. pitched two shutouts last yr and they might get more than that this season....it's a waste of energy trying to run outside or throw screens..speaking of stronger..there's a high school athlete in Louisiana (Dwayne Coleman) who squatted 845 lbs this year..

What’s irritating to me is teams like BC can go into FSU and dominate up front in year 1. I know FSU was overrated but they have talent like PSU. We are in year 6. You gotta be able to out scheme great talent.
You can if that talent is concentrated in one or two positions, etc. You can't out scheme talent that is better than your across the board.

Simple test - name one of the 22 starters that could start for Penn State?

If we answer rationally, maybe 1 or 2 on the offensive line. Maybe?

There's no magic one can pull out of the hat to defeat those odds.

no one is going to run on Penn St..they are NFL fast.. pitched two shutouts last yr and they might get more than that this season....it's a waste of energy trying to run outside or throw screens..speaking of stronger..there's a high school athlete in Louisiana (Dwayne Coleman) who squatted 845 lbs this year..
they'll be favored in every game this year except Ohio State. They still have questions and kinks to work out, but they are definitely talented.

That kid is out of this world. Sad, wait until he gets as old as me - those knees will be popping whether its 8 or 45 pounds on his back.

While I agree, Penn State is a very talented team, it’s silly for everyone acting like this is 1994-1995 Nebraska or 2001 Miami. They lost 3 games last year. Is this how far we’ve fallen?

Reactions: deedoubleyou

WVU's problem maybe more the lack of talent, lack of scheme, or lack of ability to get the players to run through a wall for you. Regardless of which it is, the head coach is responsible for it. There are obstacles such as location, NIL, or the transfer portal. Still the head coach should be expected to field a team fired up to play and occasionally one that will compete with big boys.

Brown has had 5 years here and opened his 6th on the most uninspiring of notes. He also has no significant accomplishments in his 5 year tenure which is the worst run in WVU football for 40 years. Everyone with an ounce of sense should expect Brown to show something worthy of hope very soon.

You won't get any argument from me.

Any coach worth his salt should always be looking at the portal trying to get the best possible for every position.

Same should be said for AD's also...

The old days of the Nehlen's, Paterno's, etc. i.e. lifers at a school are gone. The pagentry and spectacle of what was once college football is long gone. It's now a business, basically the D league for the NFL, and should be treated by those in command as such. Words like loyalty are just buzz words now with no real meaning.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
While I agree, Penn State is a very talented team, it’s silly for everyone acting like this is 1994-1995 Nebraska or 2001 Miami. They lost 3 games last year. Is this how far we’ve fallen?
We are falling the last 5 years and it's true. Penn state will, as always, prove to be overrated by the end of the season. They are not as good as some fans are making them out to be. This is ridiculous really lol. WVU not only deserves to be competitive against psu, but they should be, no excuses. I hardly know anyone who expected a win, but to just be competitive in the game and make it interesting is very reachable. Just not under Neal Brown. It's no fluke, he's the worst coach we have had since the 70s.

You won't get any argument from me.

Any coach worth his salt should always be looking at the portal trying to get the best possible for every position.

Same should be said for AD's also...

The old days of the Nehlen's, Paterno's, etc. i.e. lifers at a school are gone. The pagentry and spectacle of what was once college football is long gone. It's now a business, basically the D league for the NFL, and should be treated by those in command as such. Words like loyalty are just buzz words now with no real meaning.
I'll be loyal to you as long as you pay me more NIL than other teams...

Reactions: spartansstink
My loyalty/NIL comment was simply to re-enforce NB's position on recruiting to WVU difficulty..
There’s a couple different ways to look at NIL both positively and negatively

Positive

Prior to NIL, traditional bluebloods got the majority of the blue chip recruits just based on their name and tradition. Now schools who didn’t have that can potentially get them.

Negative

I don’t know the budget our Country Roads Trust has to work with, but I know it’s not gonna compete with Phil Knight (Nike) and Oregon.

Conclusion

We should still be able to compete with the majority of the P4 schools. Not everyone has a Phil Knight booster.

There are not many top 10 teams in any year that have a quarterback who can stand around in the pocket all day and not win the game. The defensive strategy to this game (along with special teams and offensive strategy) was completely absent minded. Let’s hope they get more aggressive moving forward and actually play to win games. 5 years in, I’m not confident.

Reactions: Rootmaster
they held a very good Iowa team to 76 total yds last yr..56 passing and 20 rushing for a 10-4 Iowa team...this defense looks better than that one..we shall see....in other words..we will be better moving forward

Those coaches also still lost to PSU by 2 scores or more no matter how well they were coached or how far they went above their level.

PSU leads series 50-9-2 with 7 of those wins between 1904 - 1955.

Not making excuse for how low and slow Brown has been but don't make it sound like other WVU coaches were on the level of talent of PSU.

WVU 9 wins and 2 ties not exactly against PSU best seasons.

1923 PSU 6-2-1 (T)
1925 PSU 4-4-1
1931 PSU 3-4-2
1942 PSU 6-1-1
1944 PSU 6-3
1953 PSU 6-3
1954 PSU 7-2
1955 PSU 5-4
1958 PSU 6-3-1 (T)
1984 PSU 6-5
1988 PSU 5-6

Don't oversell other WVU coaches while underselling Brown.

How would Nehlen and Rod do with NIL and transfer portal?

Rod we have and idea but it's at Jacksonville State who got embarrassed by Myrtle Beach.

There are not many top 10 teams in any year that have a quarterback who can stand around in the pocket all day and not win the game. The defensive strategy to this game (along with special teams and offensive strategy) was completely absent minded. Let’s hope they get more aggressive moving forward and actually play to win games. 5 years in, I’m not confident.
PSU will finish top 12 and be in playoffs.

Reactions: WESTBGVA
There’s a couple different ways to look at NIL both positively and negatively

Positive

Prior to NIL, traditional bluebloods got the majority of the blue chip recruits just based on their name and tradition. Now schools who didn’t have that can potentially get them.

Negative

I don’t know the budget our Country Roads Trust has to work with, but I know it’s not gonna compete with Phil Knight (Nike) and Oregon.

Conclusion

We should still be able to compete with the majority of the P4 schools. Not everyone has a Phil Knight booster.
Ohio State 20 million for their NIL budget.

Here are the nation's top 50 universities (at the end of the 2022 season) who have the most generous givers

50. Memphis Tigers: $170 million (Memphis is the only Group of Five school in the top 50 over the last 17 years.) Big 12 should have added Memphis instead of Houston
49. Maryland Terrapins: $194 million
48. Minnesota Golden Gophers: $199 million
47. Oregon State Beavers: $201 million
46. Colorado Buffaloes: $208 million
45. NC State Wolfpack: $216 million
44. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets: $220 million
43. UCLA Bruins: $233 million
42. Nebraska Cornhuskers: $236 million
41. Iowa State Cyclones: $249 million
40. Arizona State Sun Devils: $265 million
39. Mississippi State Bulldogs: $273 million
38. California Golden Bears: $283 million
37. Purdue Boilermakers: $289 million
36. Kentucky Wildcats: $302 million
35. Ole Miss Rebels: $310 million
34. Virginia Tech Hokies: $319 million
33t. Kansas State Wildcats: $324 million
33t. Arkansas Razorbacks: $324 million
31. Mizzou Tigers: $344 million
30. North Carolina Tar Heels: $344 million
29. Arizona Wildcats: $346 million
28. Indiana Hoosiers: $351 million
27. West Virginia Mountaineers: $354 million
26. Illinois Fighting Illini: $373 million
25. Penn State Nittany Lions: $386 million
24. Wisconsin Badgers: $389 million
23. Texas Tech Red Raiders: $396 million
22. Washington Huskies: $402 million
21. Michigan State Spartans: $439 million
20. Louisville Cardinals: $450 million
19. Kansas Jayhawks: $459 million
18. South Carolina Gamecocks: $466 million
17. Clemson Tigers: $476 million

16. Iowa Hawkeyes: $477 million
15. Michigan Wolverines: $493 million
14. Tennessee Volunteers: $500 million
13. Virginia Cavaliers: $516 million
12. Alabama Crimson Tide: $528 million
11. Ohio State Buckeyes: $536 million

Project Ohio State into the top 10 after a memorable off season in Columbus. The Buckeyes secured an estimated "$20 million in NIL deals" for athletes this year. Also, Ohio State was the nation's leader in athletic revenue for the 2022 fiscal year.

10. Florida State Seminoles ($540 million) - talk about money not well spent.
9. Auburn Tigers ($580 million)
8. Oklahoma Sooners ($597 million)
7. LSU Tigers ($618 million)
6. Oklahoma State Cowboys ($670 million)
5. Georgia Bulldogs ($716 million)
4. Florida Gators ($763 million)
3. Texas Longhorns ($766 million)
2. Texas A&M Aggies ($849 million)
1. Oregon Ducks ($969 million)

Being at 27th in most generous giving you would think our athletics would always be better.

Those coaches also still lost to PSU by 2 scores or more no matter how well they were coached or how far they went above their level.

PSU leads series 50-9-2 with 7 of those wins between 1904 - 1955.

Not making excuse for how low and slow Brown has been but don't make it sound like other WVU coaches were on the level of talent of PSU.

WVU 9 wins and 2 ties not exactly against PSU best seasons.

1923 PSU 6-2-1 (T)
1925 PSU 4-4-1
1931 PSU 3-4-2
1942 PSU 6-1-1
1944 PSU 6-3
1953 PSU 6-3
1954 PSU 7-2
1955 PSU 5-4
1958 PSU 6-3-1 (T)
1984 PSU 6-5
1988 PSU 5-6

Don't oversell other WVU coaches while underselling Brown.

How would Nehlen and Rod do with NIL and transfer portal?

Rod we have and idea but it's at Jacksonville State who got embarrassed by Myrtle Beach.
You do know that WVU and previous head coaches have played against, and, gasp, beat other top 10 programs right? I stand by what I said, it is accurate. Brown has not yet coached a single team in a single game at WVU to play above their talent level. He did at Troy, but he has not found that success yet here.

You do know that WVU and previous head coaches have played against, and, gasp, beat other top 10 programs right? I stand by what I said, it is accurate. Brown has not yet coached a single team in a single game at WVU to play above their talent level. He did at Troy, but he has not found that success yet here.
You do know they also have an abundance of losses as well. Brown is a good G5 coach.

And I disagree he hasn't coached players above their talent. Lot of Big time games where they outplayed their opponents yet still lost because of bonehead mistake by coaches and players alike.

You do know they also have an abundance of losses as well. Brown is a good G5 coach.

And I disagree he hasn't coached players above their talent. Lot of Big time games where they outplayed their opponents yet still lost because of bonehead mistake by coaches and players alike.
Ok, we do not agree. Brown is an average coach at his best. Happy to see if he proves me wrong though!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT