ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State --GOR extension KEY

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001
Looks like Iowa State finally gets it--extending the grant of rights is the key for the BIG 12s future now---

excerpt:
Iowa State’s stance going forward seems fairly simple: Do whatever it takes to keep the Big 12 stable.

“If any institution would compel the current 10 members of the Big 12 to unanimously extend its grant of rights, then I would support that institution being a member of the Big 12,” Pollard said. “If they are not an institution that would compel everybody to extend their grant of rights, then Iowa State is not going to vote yes for that member.”
http://cyclonefanatic.com/2016/07/williams-pollard-candid-on-big-12-expansion/
http://cyclonefanatic.com/2016/07/williams-pollard-candid-on-big-12-expansion/

Seems to spell it out clearly for everyone in the B12. I have a feeling this will be the prevailing stance by other B12 members not named Texas and Oklahoma.

Nice job Cyclones!

The important take may be that schools like Iowa State-previously complacent and happy to sit back and do nothing--have suddenly realized the extreme importance of what happens next to the future of their athletics programs.

They can't just sit back and wait any more, they must be proactive because every other conference is and has been.

Hopefully UT won't kaibash the league this time.

The important take may be that schools like Iowa State-previously complacent and happy to sit back and do nothing--have suddenly realized the extreme importance of what happens next to the future of their athletics programs.

They can't just sit back and wait any more, they must be proactive because every other conference is and has been.

Good thing you're here to show the way.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Seems to me Iowa St. justgave away their vote. They can now be easily manipulated.......

Seems to spell it out clearly for everyone in the B12. I have a feeling this will be the prevailing stance by other B12 members not named Texas and Oklahoma.

Nice job Cyclones!

I'm not really sure it's spelled out the way you are thinking. He said Iowa St would support expansion if the new schools brought about an extended GOR. I don't think it's a given that Memphis or Cincinnati would bring about an extended GOR.

I'm not really sure it's spelled out the way you are thinking. He said Iowa St would support expansion if the new schools brought about an extended GOR. I don't think it's a given that Memphis or Cincinnati would bring about an extended GOR.

Not sure if you understand what I'm thinking.

I think Iowa State has made it pretty clear - either everyone get together and pass an extended GOR (cough cough Texas) or they are not going to support their (Texas) pushing Houston as a new member. Maybe this is, as others suspect, Texas and/or Ok using expansion to soften the blow if they leave at the end of the current GOR and Iowa St. is trying to head that off by bringing it into the open.

In other words, if Texas wants Houston, show us that you are committed to the B12 by extending the GOR.

I have never said anything about who will or won't be the right teams for the B12 - too many variables for me to want to argue about it.

I think Iowa State has made it pretty clear - either everyone get together and pass an extended GOR (cough cough Texas) or they are not going to support their (Texas) pushing Houston as a new member. Maybe this is, as others suspect, Texas and/or Ok using expansion to soften the blow if they leave at the end of the current GOR and Iowa St. is trying to head that off by bringing it into the open.

In other words, if Texas wants Houston, show us that you are committed to the B12 by extending the GOR.

I have never said anything about who will or won't be the right teams for the B12 - too many variables for me to want to argue about it.

Yeah, and see that's the point. You're assuming Texas wants Houston in the first place. Texas is not really hard core into expansion. Expansion, extending the GOR, all that is really what other schools want, not so much Texas.

All things non Texas and/or non Oklahoma are irrelavant and a waste of discussion time. Snap out of it.

I'm sure Texas and Oklahoma are all in after adding those two LOL

You're the winner!!! Excellent post and the first solid post in like 8 threads. You may be right on this one. Maybe that's how Big12 gets Texas to sign on the dotted GOT line. Now hopefully Oklahoma fees the same way.

Yeah, and see that's the point. You're assuming Texas wants Houston in the first place. Texas is not really hard core into expansion. Expansion, extending the GOR, all that is really what other schools want, not so much Texas.

Bingo! But Monroeer made a solid case that may be considered in brainstorming style discussion here. I think you are probably correct but I can see his point.

No, I am not assuming that - I'm not the one that come out with a statement saying to consider Houston, Texas did. Whether that was a smoke screen or not, only they know. Again, my point was that Iowa St. was calling that "bluff" and saying that IF you want to go that route, prove it by extending the GOR.

I am not saying Texas will do that, I just like the fact Iowa St. made the statement showing that they would like to get some clarity now on the GOR. Hopefully the rest of the league takes the same stance. Getting the GOR extended is the most important decision to be made to guarantee the life of the B12. IMO

No, I am not assuming that - I'm not the one that come out with a statement saying to consider Houston, Texas did. Whether that was a smoke screen or not, only they know. Again, my point was that Iowa St. was calling that "bluff" and saying that IF you want to go that route, prove it by extending the GOR.

I am not saying Texas will do that, I just like the fact Iowa St. made the statement showing that they would like to get some clarity now on the GOR. Hopefully the rest of the league takes the same stance. Getting the GOR extended is the most important decision to be made to guarantee the life of the B12. IMO
Agree. Not sure they will require a unanimous vote on this or not. A new GOR extended far past the current contract date, would go a long way toward stating that Texas and Oklahoma are really in this for the long haul, much more than expansion going ahead or getting a network deal ever would.

This business about the GOR is nothing new. You're making it out to be like Iowa St has had some sort of revelation. Everybody has known the GOR is key to solidifying the conference.

Iowa St is not calling a bluff. Put it this way. Iowa St wants a GOR extension more than Texas wants Houston. If Iowa St wants to block expansion as a way to call a bluff on Texas, well that doesn't really hurt Texas, so there really isn't anything to "call." My point is, the statement by Iowa St's AD, speaks more to the fact that expansion isn't a 100% certainty. I was using his statement that only schools that would extend the GOR would be considered. My point is, I'm not sure ANY of the candidate schools would extend the GOR.

This business about the GOR is nothing new. You're making it out to be like Iowa St has had some sort of revelation. Everybody has known the GOR is key to solidifying the conference.

Iowa St is not calling a bluff. Put it this way. Iowa St wants a GOR extension more than Texas wants Houston. If Iowa St wants to block expansion as a way to call a bluff on Texas, well that doesn't really hurt Texas, so there really isn't anything to "call." My point is, the statement by Iowa St's AD, speaks more to the fact that expansion isn't a 100% certainty. I was using his statement that only schools that would extend the GOR would be considered. My point is, I'm not sure ANY of the candidate schools would extend the GOR.

You just want to argue with someone - I haven't said anything about the "point" you are trying to make. You keep countering ideas I haven't even said or insinuated. I didn't say it was new - just that Iowa St. made it a point to put it out in the open that they were going to oppose anyone that didn't extend the GOR. This comes after Texas made a vague show of support for Houston to be included. It just shows Iowa St is not going to roll over while Houston is thrust down their throats by the Texas group (gov, whoever else, etc.).

I wouldn't dare try to argue whether Iowa St can force Texas to do anything when someone like you declares that you have the inside knowledge of what Texas wants and what posters think on this board. How would I ever have a chance to win that debate?

You just want to argue with someone - I haven't said anything about the "point" you are trying to make. You keep countering ideas I haven't even said or insinuated. I didn't say it was new - just that Iowa St. made it a point to put it out in the open that they were going to oppose anyone that didn't extend the GOR. This comes after Texas made a vague show of support for Houston to be included. It just shows Iowa St is not going to roll over while Houston is thrust down their throats by the Texas group (gov, whoever else, etc.).

I wouldn't dare try to argue whether Iowa St can force Texas to do anything when someone like you declares that you have the inside knowledge of what Texas wants and what posters think on this board. How would I ever have a chance to win that debate?

You're missing my point. You said:

"Iowa St. made it a point to put it out in the open that they were going to oppose anyone that didn't extend the GOR."

And my point is, I'm not sure any of the schools being considered would extend the GOR. Then you said:

"just shows Iowa St is not going to roll over while Houston is thrust down their throats by the Texas group"

The point is, there is no evidence that another school (like Cincinnati or Memphis) would have a greater chance of extending the GOR than Houston. Frankly, none of those schools really have any more impact than the other. You are basing this on the idea that Texas is pushing Houston, to the exclusion of more beneficial members. Again, I don't believe Memphis is any more likely to trigger a GOR extension than Houston. Therefore, there really isn't a reason for Texas to force Houston down everyone's throat, and there really isn't a reason for Iowa St to oppose Houston in favor of another school.

I understand your point and for the last time, I have not argued that any team will help extend the GOR. Not once. You keep reading into my simple post and coming up with all kinds of stuff that has nothing to do with my posts.

Iowa St said they were going to oppose ANY team that didn't extend the GOR. Recently several entities with TEXAS TIES have publicly stated support for Houston. To me, the point is Iowa St doesn't really care who comes into the league (to a certain point of course), as long as the GOR is extended. That is the main point of my first post - don't read anything else into it. I never said this will force Texas to do anything - just that it brings it out that Iowa St has one concern, THE GOR.

If you want to argue with Iowa St about why they should not oppose Houston even if the GOR does not get extended, be my guest. You keep telling everyone that Texas is actually against Houston, even though they put out a statement saying Houston is to be considered - go argue with Texas regarding that matter.

....and no I don't know what will happen next with the GOR, B12 possible expansion, etc. and dang sure have not stated a side to debate about.

As an outsider I have taken the time to examined these posts. After careful and thorough examination I have concluded that tiger is a misrepresenting jagoff! Monroeer carry on with your good work. Tiger please refrain from being a cheaten Clemson jagoff.

I understand your point and for the last time, I have not argued that any team will help extend the GOR. Not once. You keep reading into my simple post and coming up with all kinds of stuff that has nothing to do with my posts.

Iowa St said they were going to oppose ANY team that didn't extend the GOR. Recently several entities with TEXAS TIES have publicly stated support for Houston. To me, the point is Iowa St doesn't really care who comes into the league (to a certain point of course), as long as the GOR is extended. That is the main point of my first post - don't read anything else into it. I never said this will force Texas to do anything - just that it brings it out that Iowa St has one concern, THE GOR.

If you want to argue with Iowa St about why they should not oppose Houston even if the GOR does not get extended, be my guest. You keep telling everyone that Texas is actually against Houston, even though they put out a statement saying Houston is to be considered - go argue with Texas regarding that matter.

....and no I don't know what will happen next with the GOR, B12 possible expansion, etc. and dang sure have not stated a side to debate about.

You talk about reading into comments. I haven't said Texas is against Houston. I said Texas really doesn't care about expansion. From the comments I have read coming out of Texas, they are indifferent to expansion. My point is, Texas doesn't have some hard on for Houston. If that was the case, Texas would have been pushing for Houston from day one. Texas wasn't even in favor of expansion at all, less than a month ago. Now, they've come out in favor of Houston, after the governor said Houston must be included. Well, that doesn't really sound like Texas is thrilled about Houston. It sounds more like state politics is pushing Texas to vote for Houston, now that expansion is back on the table.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT