ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State Fanbase- Most under-appreciated fanbase nationally?

Big12Mountaineer

All-Conference
Oct 23, 2011
Iowa State football and basketball fans are some of the most loyal in college athletics. However, it seems they always get overlooked nationally.

It's hard to argue with a program that gets 50-55k to every home football program in spite of struggling sometimes. Also, the Hilton Coliseum is one of the most hostile environments in college basketball. ISU always draws a good 12-14k to every basketball game regardless of opponent or how successful the team is.

It seems Cyclone fans always get overlooked nationally in spite of passing Iowa football and basketball the last 10-20 years.

This post was edited on 10/9 6:45 PM by Big12Mountaineer

Nationally maybe, but not regionally.

The ISU fans are great fans, and those of us that have been in the Big 12 and Big 8 know this.

No matter how bad they do in football or basketball, their fans are there. I would say the most loyal and the least fair-weather fan base!

Oh and their tailgate scene is splendid as well!

Their turnout for big 8 and big 12 basketball tournies is amazing. And they travel well regardless of where their teams fit. Great people.

They have very quality fans. Great people. KSU fans feel a kinship with ISU fans since we have much in common.

Only Kansas had more fans show up in Kansas City for past conference tournaments. Like the others said, they're very loyal.

I don't think ISU basketball fans get overlooked by the national media. Hilton Coliseum is often mentioned as one of the toughest places to play in the country. Football fans?? Maybe we haven't received enough credit over the past few years, but respect will come with more victories and our current football coach is a perfect fit. Him for us and us for him.

If you do make the trip to Ames, you should definitely check out the campus. ISU has a beautiful campus. Take some time to hang out at some local bars and restaurants. Of course make sure you partake in the fantastic tailgating. My guess is that you'll make a few Cyclones friends while in town.

I do agree with the Kansas State poster. I have a lot of respect for Kansas State fans. They are great too. I think the remaining five Big 8 schools (ISU, KSU, Oklahoma, OSU, and Kansas) have a solid bond that I hope goes on for a long, long time. And hopefully TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, Texas, and West Virginia are along for the ride as well. It is the best athletic conference in the land so why mess up a good thing?

Thanks for the kind words.

I think it is more than just their fanbase, I believe Iowa State in general gets overlooked (unfairly) by fans and the media. I would bet that if you conducted a random survey on the street that less than 50% would know where ISU is located and that they play in the Big 12. Iowa State is a great school, excellent academics and top notch athletic progams. I personally can't wait to visit. Of course after spending way too much money on the Texas trip my trip to Ames is going to have to wait a couple years. I can promise you our football and basketball teams are Well Aware of ISU.

Originally posted by schoonerwest:
Only Kansas had more fans show up in Kansas City for past conference tournaments. Like the others said, they're very loyal.
Love Iowa State and its fans but you are wrong. There are always more Kstate and MU fans 2nd to KU fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT