ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting debate on CNN

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
Between Banfield and a former Dem Congressman. Banfield made the following comment:

He touted the pride he and many others feel about the flag, but Banfield asked, “Where does that pride supersede other people’s pain?”

If that is to be the standard about the use of symbols, would Banfield feel the same way about the La Raza symbol or the Gay Pride flag? Both of those symbols cause other people's pain, right?

Between Banfield and a former Dem Congressman. Banfield made the following comment:

He touted the pride he and many others feel about the flag, but Banfield asked, “Where does that pride supersede other people’s pain?”

If that is to be the standard about the use of symbols, would Banfield feel the same way about the La Raza symbol or the Gay Pride flag? Both of those symbols cause other people's pain, right?

Why would he feel pride about the flag the Army of Northern Virginia used in fighting to permanently fracture the US and to preserve slavery?

ETA: And then the flag was resurrected in 1961 when the South used it as a rallying point against the effort to end segregation. Why is this something to feel pride over? Shame, I can understand, but pride?

Why would he feel pride about the flag the Army of Northern Virginia used in fighting to permanently fracture the US and to preserve slavery?

ETA: And then the flag was resurrected in 1961 when the South used it as a rallying point against the effort to end segregation. Why is this something to feel pride over? Shame, I can understand, but pride?

What's so interesting is that libs tout tolerance. Yet, you show no tolerance for his point of view.
BTW, Lee's flag was used to represent southern reconstruction in part because Lee did not believe in slavery. The flag of the CSA was not used which is pretty telling.

You mean the Democrat Governor at the time used the flag as a rallying point against segregation?

Most people don't care at all other than to use it as an identifier for hicks still fighting the civil war. A lot of Republicans on the news today leading the charge asking that it be removed. And Walmart? Hardly a liberal company but they are businessmen who understand only a minority gives a shit about honoring the rebel flag so they are gonna go with the majority to appeal to more customers. Can't wait to listen to Bryan Fischers head exploding on the way home on the radio! lol

What's so interesting is that libs tout tolerance. Yet, you show no tolerance for his point of view.
BTW, Lee's flag was used to represent southern reconstruction in part because Lee did not believe in slavery. The flag of the CSA was not used which is pretty telling.

What the hell does tolerance have to do with it?
You mean the Democrat Governor at the time used the flag as a rallying point against segregation?

The only thing more ridiculous than trying to score political points based on who was Gov of SC 55 years ago is trying to score political points based on who was POTUS and what party led the Confederacy 150 years ago. Nobody cares what party various people belonged to back then. For that matter, lots of people don't care about the politics of it now. It's only the hyperpartisan that view every single thing in life via the lens of partisan politics that think like that.

What the hell does tolerance have to do with it?

The only thing more ridiculous than trying to score political points based on who was Gov of SC 55 years ago is trying to score political points based on who was POTUS and what party led the Confederacy 150 years ago. Nobody cares what party various people belonged to back then. For that matter, lots of people don't care about the politics of it now. It's only the hyperpartisan that view every single thing in life via the lens of partisan politics that think like that.

You posted:

You obviously have zero tolerance for his opinion. His opinion on the flag differs from yours. So what. Tolerance is a one way street for libs.

You posted:

You obviously have zero tolerance for his opinion. His opinion on the flag differs from yours. So what. Tolerance is a one way street for libs.

It was an accident to quote two people in one post. I don't even know how to do that if I tried. But anyway, you clearly don't know the definition of tolerance. If I had zero tolerance of his opinion I would prevent him from expressing his opinion. "Disagree" and "intolerant" are two different things.

It was an accident to quote two people in one post. I don't even know how to do that if I tried. But anyway, you clearly don't know the definition of tolerance. If I had zero tolerance of his opinion I would prevent him from expressing his opinion. "Disagree" and "intolerant" are two different things.

He was not expressing facts, he was expressing his opinion. You questioned why he would even hold such an opinion. That's intolerance. To disagree would be to acknowledge his opnion and then rebut it.

He was not expressing facts, he was expressing his opinion. You questioned why he would even hold such an opinion. That's intolerance. To disagree would be to acknowledge his opnion and then rebut it.

That is a ridiculous response. You don't know what intolerance and disagree mean.

There's a difference between pain and being uncomfortable. Maybe if your ancestors had been slaves to white people you'd be less defensive about the confederate flag being seen less and less.

There's a difference between pain and being uncomfortable. Maybe if your ancestors had been slaves to white people you'd be less defensive about the confederate flag being seen less and less.

Should the Gay Pride flag be banned? How about the La Raza symbol? Both cause pain for large parts of the country using Banfield's logic.

Intolerance Definition
dictionary.search.yahoo.com
n. noun
  • 1. unwillingness to accept views, beliefs, or behavior that differ from one's own
Sound familiar?

That's a pretty meaningless definition considering that using it anyone that disagrees with anyone else is being intolerant.

The one from dictionary.com makes more sense.

lack of tolerance; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect opinions or beliefs contrary to one's own.

And if you look up "tolerate" is says "allow the existence of." Am I refusing to allow the existence of other beliefs?

That's a pretty meaningless definition considering that using it anyone that disagrees with anyone else is being intolerant.

The one from dictionary.com makes more sense.

lack of tolerance; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect opinions or beliefs contrary to one's own.

And if you look up "tolerate" is says "allow the existence of." Am I refusing to allow the existence of other beliefs?

You questioned why he would even hold such a opinioon. That's intolerance and differs from disagreement. Diagreement acknowledges his opinion but attempts to rebut.

You questioned why he would even hold such a opinioon. That's intolerance and differs from disagreement. Diagreement acknowledges his opinion but attempts to rebut.

You're the one that posted the definition of intolerant of being unwilling to accept beliefs different from ones own. That defines every difference of opinion as intolerance. Meaningless, that.

You're the one that posted the definition of intolerant of being unwilling to accept beliefs different from ones own. That defines every difference of opinion as intolerance. Meaningless, that.

Once again, wrong. Libs get hoisted on their own petard on occasion and this is one of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT