ADVERTISEMENT

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different

Woodie

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
Winchester, VA
results; Gibby's effort to put pressure on the young QB failed miserably. In my opinion we did not back off and keep the db's down field. This left receivers wide open and Purdy still had time to make the throw. We ran the ball well in our (only) TD drive along with short passes when ISU blitzed. After that TD nothing but passes and mostly sacks the rest of the way (terrible job of making ajustments). Oh, I forgot we did run(try) up the middle a few times. This certainly was the worst offensive performance I have watched or listened to in my 50+ years of following the Mountaineers. With Montgomery healthy and Purdy playing the way he has been, unless they have a weakness that our coaches (using this word loosely) could not figure out, then they seem capable of challenging for the Big 12 title Like most it was really a nightmare and I could have dreamed all of the above but I probably slept better than the coaches and players.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
results; Gibby's effort to put pressure on the young QB failed miserably. In my opinion we did not back off and keep the db's down field. This left receivers wide open and Purdy still had time to make the throw. We ran the ball well in our (only) TD drive along with short passes when ISU blitzed. After that TD nothing but passes and mostly sacks the rest of the way (terrible job of making ajustments). Oh, I forgot we did run(try) up the middle a few times. This certainly was the worst offensive performance I have watched or listened to in my 50+ years of following the Mountaineers. With Montgomery healthy and Purdy playing the way he has been, unless they have a weakness that our coaches (using this word loosely) could not figure out, then they seem capable of challenging for the Big 12 title Like most it was really a nightmare and I could have dreamed all of the above but I probably slept better than the coaches and players.
Ever since we have become a high powered offense dating back to RR In big loses our offense disappeared. Starting with Pitt continuing on most recent to 2nd half Texas Tech ( not a loss but same scenario)and now Iowa State. It almost is predictable run the ball twice get third and long have to heave a pass against a blitz. Just where and why does the offense and play calling disappear . There has to be some reason. Is the offense not that high powered or do our play callers just choke up and become brain frozen by prospect of defeat. This scenario has played out so many times.

Last edited:
It would be ok to run the same offensive play over and over if it was actually working.

Reactions: Rootmaster
You watch them next week they will get blown away by whoever there playing. They are not that good we were just awful as you can get

You watch them next week they will get blown away by whoever there playing. They are not that good we were just awful as you can get

That team would be Texas Tech at Ames. Yes they get blown out. After hangover of their dismantling of Holgorsen WVU team.

Texas has the easy path to finish unbeaten in Big 12. Could be a red river rematch. Something I am sure Big 12 front office has been wanting since 2012.

@ Oklahoma State
vs WVU
@ Texas Tech
vs ISU
@ Kansas

Texas Tech could be their toughest test remaining.

After reading the subject line on this tread, I thought it was about keeping DH as coach year after year.

In the 3-3-5, a running QB will give this team fits. You simply cannot account for him if your TB is remotely decent.

I've been critical of Gibson for years. I still want him gone. But not for last Saturday. Sometimes, you've just got to tip your hat to a kid. Purdy took a beating. He got knocked around all game long and still stood in there delivering passes right on the money.

Wish ours played that tough...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT