ADVERTISEMENT

Informal Poll

MichiganHerd

All-American
Aug 17, 2011
Need to know WV fans:

Are you in favor of playing the Herd in football or basketball in the regular season, without 100% of the games being played in Morgantown? Obviously, the Herd will never agree to only coming to Morgantown, so just want to know from the regulars here. Is this your stance as well?

Need to know WV fans:

Are you in favor of playing the Herd in football or basketball in the regular season, without 100% of the games being played in Morgantown? Obviously, the Herd will never agree to only coming to Morgantown, so just want to know from the regulars here. Is this your stance as well?
100 % honest opinion......they won't play each other in the forseeable future. Granted the herd might draw more of a crowd than another CUSA or MAC team in football but WVU could pay one of those teams less than the herd admins would demand......and then there;s always that 12-0 thing.. .as far as basketball Sunday nights curb stomp should answer that question, considering Huggs took his foot off the gas with 10 minutes left. As far as home and home or even 3 or 4 for 1 you can only blame bob "chicken suit" pruett and the dantoni doctrine for writing checks they can't cash

Need to know WV fans:

Why would you ask these morons? You know you’re going to get a stupid response 100% of the time. Snowballs answer personifies the board mentality

Honest answer. My stance is only games in Morgantown or no games.

Hope you give an honest answer back. Why would WVU do that? I get that you feel that a lot of the casual fans in the state would want to see it. But what does WVU lose if there is no game? Nothing really. Certainly they wouldn't lose those casual fans. While they would like to see WVU play Marshall, they aren't going to boycott a WVU matchup with Texas, Oklaboma or Kansas for basketball that is getting national attention.

Unless maybe you are asking WVU for help by scheduling. In which case Bob Pruitt, et al, burned that bridge long ago.

That said, I'd be happy if they met again in the NCAA tourney. Your embarrassment of a coach and alumnus governor aside, that was good for the state.

Last edited:
Need to know WV fans:

Dan, is that you?

Need to know WV fans:

Serious answer - Our AD has been scheduling home and home football series with Pitt, Penn State, Florida State, Maryland, and Virginia Tech. Teams with a much higher profile than Marshall, and teams which we have more of a history with. As for the one and dones, as weak as some of those teams are we still put 55,000 to 60,000 in the stands at Mountaineer Field to see our team play. No benefit in giving any of that up by committing to a home and home with Marshall.

On the basketball side, If not for D'Antoni's foolish comments about Huggs being afraid of him, we'd still be meeting in Charleston every year.

So, in my opinion, the two schools cannot be bitter rivals, if West Virginia chooses to not want to play the Herd in both major sports, agree?

So, in my opinion, the two schools cannot be bitter rivals, if West Virginia chooses to not want to play the Herd in both major sports, agree?

OK, I'll sacrifice myself and fall into your trap.

I've not considered Marshall a bitter rival any more that Marshall considers West Virginia State a rival. (BTW, West Virginia State University is the other land grant university in West Virginia and is a lot closer to Huntington, why doesn't Marshall schedule a one for one with them?)

That said, in our personal lives, many of us have acquaintances that keep needling us about it for whatever reason makes them feel good. (Or because of an inferiority complex, maybe? ) In that sense there may be some sort of rival attitude because of constant needling that they finally have to say something.

OK, I'll sacrifice myself and fall into your trap.

I've not considered Marshall a bitter rival any more that Marshall considers West Virginia State a rival. (BTW, West Virginia State University is the other land grant university in West Virginia and is a lot closer to Huntington, why doesn't Marshall schedule a one for one with them?)

That said, in our personal lives, many of us have acquaintances that keep needling us about it for whatever reason makes them feel good. (Or because of an inferiority complex, maybe? ) In that sense there may be some sort of rival attitude because of constant needling that they finally have to say something.
Of course that belies the fact that there are only two Division I schools in the state and the fact that the Yellow Jackets are not one of them!

We are the bitterest of rivals. We compete every day for funding that has nothing to do with any athletic events!

Reactions: Humptod
We are the bitterest of rivals. We compete every day for funding that has nothing to do with any athletic events!
True, but I'm just trying to figure out if I have the right to post on this forum or not. The cousins here chastise the guy from Ohio, due to them not playing one another in sports, as well as not being a rival. I'm wanting to make sure I'm not breaking any rules by posting here, as the banner on the forum clearly reads 'Go head to head with WVU's rivals'. I've been here a few years, and I'm yet to see a single poster from Pitt or Virginia Tech, or even Iowa State for that matter.

May I suggest they rename the banner? Perhaps something that reads 'Go head to head with the school that's afraid to put you on the slate'.

Of course that belies the fact that there are only two Division I schools in the state and the fact that the Yellow Jackets are not one of them!

And it also belies the fact that there is only one P5 (in case you haven't noticed, that's a thing now) school in the state and the herd isn't it.

As does Fairmont State University, Concord University, West Virginia State University, Shepard University, etc.

May I suggest they rename the banner? Perhaps something that reads 'Go head to head with the school that's afraid to put you on the slate'.

Frankly, the offer is for rivals. If you consider yourself a rival, post away. Doesn't mean anyone else has to.

As for the "afraid", comment. 'Bout time to give that a rest, don't you think?

We are the bitterest of rivals.

I went to Auburn Alabama a few years ago to watch the Mountaineers take on Auburn. At the game, I heard chants of "Eat Shit Pitt!"

When I go to a far-away destination like Auburn and hear chants of "Eat Shit Marshall," you can argue "we are bitter rivals."

True, but I'm just trying to figure out if I have the right to post on this forum or not. The cousins here chastise the guy from Ohio, due to them not playing one another in sports, as well as not being a rival. I'm wanting to make sure I'm not breaking any rules by posting here, as the banner on the forum clearly reads 'Go head to head with WVU's rivals'. I've been here a few years, and I'm yet to see a single poster from Pitt or Virginia Tech, or even Iowa State for that matter.

You sir...are a wit!

And it also belies the fact that there is only one P5 (in case you haven't noticed, that's a thing now) school in the state and the herd isn't it.

As does Fairmont State University, Concord University, West Virginia State University, Shepard University, etc.
P-5's and G-5's are still within Division I and that division is non existent in basketball.

Same with Major and mid major.

In this case the old saying "perception is reality" comes in to play.

Same with Major and mid major.

In this case the old saying "perception is reality" comes in to play.
Win something of note and perhaps the public's perception of WVU will increase! Too late for football this academic year last time I saw them they were getting throttled by a 6-6 Utah bunch but hope is still alive for the WVU Cagers!

So... you're saying that WVU vs. Marshall should be a home and home... because a bunch of whiny Marshall fans with a gigantic inferiority complex have taken up residence on a WVU message board?

The WVU/VT game to start this last year was amazing... for both fan bases. College football pundits were clamoring that it needs to return as an annual event. It makes sense due to our geographic proximity, history, AND our mutual standing within the world of college athletics. It can't happen every year because scheduling is tricky... WVU gets 3 non-conference games per year in football, and we have a lot of teams that fans want to see squeezed in. Granted, we play a cupcake at home every year, a position well suited for a Marshall-type school.

Nobody cares about WVU vs Marshall (football or men's basketball) other than Marshall fans... It's only fun for WVU fans because we get to see the dreams of sassy, delusional Marshall fans being crushed time, after time, after time, after time... but watching a team annihilated on the field and a fan base tortured in the stands is only entertaining for so long.

There is no incentive for WVU to play Marshall home and home... we would never do that in a million years for any other school of Marshall's caliber. Maryland isn't going to start a home and home series with UMBC despite the fact that UMBC won an NCAA game, and is therefore "legit".

You aren't entitled to a home and home because of geography... like everything else in this country, if you want it, you have to work for it. Maybe Marshall would be better at football and men's basketball if they picked themselves up by their bootstraps rather than standing around whining and waiting for a handout from WVU. Gonzaga and Boise State didn't get good by waiting for someone to elevate them... they just did it.

Lastly, If you really need to cultivate a message board rivalry, I would encourage you to take up residency on a peer's message board, say an MTSU or a Western Kentucky type school.

Win something of note and perhaps the public's perception of WVU will increase!

Win something of note? WVU has been to 5 Sweet 16's and a Final Four under Huggins... Marshall just won their first NCAA game ever, and their fan base acts like it was the greatest accomplishment in the history of athletics.

Throw in our three BCS bowl wins, and I would say we are doing alright. The only noteworthy accomplishment that Marshall has had in recent memory is having Ot Elmore trend on Twitter for having boobs and looking 50.

Reactions: BoremanSouth
Win something of note? WVU has been to 5 Sweet 16's and a Final Four under Huggins... Marshall just won their first NCAA game ever, and their fan base acts like it was the greatest accomplishment in the history of athletics.

Throw in our three BCS bowl wins, and I would say we are doing alright. The only noteworthy accomplishment that Marshall has had in recent memory is having Ot Elmore trend on Twitter for having boobs and looking 50.
Nobody remembers that shit...just like nobody will remember we won a first round game in three weeks. Win the big prize in something and get back to us with your diffuse national " perception" argument! Honestly, I'm rooting for WVU to hang the banner, a tremendous accomplishment.

So... you're saying that WVU vs. Marshall should be a home and home... because a bunch of whiny Marshall fans with a gigantic inferiority complex have taken up residence on a WVU message board?

The WVU/VT game to start this last year was amazing... for both fan bases. College football pundits were clamoring that it needs to return as an annual event. It makes sense due to our geographic proximity, history, AND our mutual standing within the world of college athletics. It can't happen every year because scheduling is tricky... WVU gets 3 non-conference games per year in football, and we have a lot of teams that fans want to see squeezed in. Granted, we play a cupcake at home every year, a position well suited for a Marshall-type school.

Nobody cares about WVU vs Marshall (football or men's basketball) other than Marshall fans... It's only fun for WVU fans because we get to see the dreams of sassy, delusional Marshall fans being crushed time, after time, after time, after time... but watching a team annihilated on the field and a fan base tortured in the stands is only entertaining for so long.

There is no incentive for WVU to play Marshall home and home... we would never do that in a million years for any other school of Marshall's caliber. Maryland isn't going to start a home and home series with UMBC despite the fact that UMBC won an NCAA game, and is therefore "legit".

You aren't entitled to a home and home because of geography... like everything else in this country, if you want it, you have to work for it. Maybe Marshall would be better at football and men's basketball if they picked themselves up by their bootstraps rather than standing around whining and waiting for a handout from WVU. Gonzaga and Boise State didn't get good by waiting for someone to elevate them... they just did it.

Lastly, If you really need to cultivate a message board rivalry, I would encourage you to take up residency on a peer's message board, say an MTSU or a Western Kentucky type school.

Can't speak for all Herd fans but for myself, I think the annual game on a neutral court in Charleston should return. Football at this point is impossible to work out.

Nobody remembers that shit...just like nobody will remember we won a first round game in three weeks. Win the big prize in something and get back to us with your diffuse national " perception" argument! Honestly, I'm rooting for WVU to hang the banner, a tremendous accomplishment.
We don't have to "get back with you" on anything because we don't care if we never play your shitty little school.

You guys are the ones that want to play... you bring it up non-stop (like your coach this week and this very thread)... how about you get back with us when you are not a shart-stain of an athletic program? Then we'll talk. Sound good?

Other wise, if you want an excuse, here it is: Because, **** you.

Serious answer - Our AD has been scheduling home and home football series with Pitt, Penn State, Florida State, Maryland, and Virginia Tech. Teams with a much higher profile than Marshall, and teams which we have more of a history with. As for the one and dones, as weak as some of those teams are we still put 55,000 to 60,000 in the stands at Mountaineer Field to see our team play. No benefit in giving any of that up by committing to a home and home with Marshall.

On the basketball side, If not for D'Antoni's foolish comments about Huggs being afraid of him, we'd still be meeting in Charleston every year.
Don't you think that's pretty thin-skinned out of Huggins? I do.

Don't you think that's pretty thin-skinned out of Huggins? I do.

You know full well the terms D'Antoni laid out, about two games in Charleston and one at Huntington in exchange for one trip to Morgantown. Huggs wasn't a bit thin skinned. He just told them it was a laughable proposition and told them to find someone else to play.

Based on WVU no longer having any rivals, may I suggest we either close this forum, or at very least, rename the banner? Of course, I say all of this, based on assuming the forum won't be invaded by a mass of Cyclone supporters by day's end.

Based on WVU no longer having any rivals, may I suggest we either close this forum, or at very least, rename the banner? Of course, I say all of this, based on assuming the forum won't be invaded by a mass of Cyclone supporters by day's end.
Don't like the name of the forum? You can always GTFO.

Same thing goes for the terms of a WVU-Marshall series. We don't care either way.

We don't have to "get back with you" on anything because we don't care if we never play your shitty little school.

You guys are the ones that want to play... you bring it up non-stop (like your coach this week and this very thread)... how about you get back with us when you are not a shart-stain of an athletic program? Then we'll talk. Sound good?

Other wise, if you want an excuse, here it is: Because, **** you.
Tell it to the Utes...they must have not gotten your " national perception" memo!

Tell it to the Utes...they must have not gotten your " national perception" memo!
Dude... I can't even say anything about that. That was the worst QB performance I have ever seen at any level of football. Just painful to watch.

Also, I didn't draft a "national perception memo", so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Dude... I can't even say anything about that. That was the worst QB performance I have ever seen at any level of football. Just painful to watch.

Also, I didn't draft a "national perception memo", so I'm not sure what you are talking about.
Well, I know all about pain, I watched MU take a beating Sunday night.

Don't like the name of the forum? You can always GTFO.

Same thing goes for the terms of a WVU-Marshall series. We don't care either way.
No game between the Herd and WVU?

What will become of you and your 79 posts?... posts that only occur when the Herd competes with WVU? I'm thinking you're one of the closet Eers that love to compete against the Herd, but choose to ride the party line to save face here on the internet.

Play the Herd, and the cat comes out.

You make a very good point.

Since we don’t play Marshall or Michigan, why the f’uck are you here?

Gotta love that Marshall logic - get blasted by a team then turn around and say said team is afraid to play you. Enjoy your slow rotting hell in CUSA. LOL.

You make a very good point.

Since we don’t play Marshall or Michigan, why the f’uck are you here?
At last, a reasonable response from CR89. I agree, and that was my reason for starting the post. I shouldn't be here, so I won't bother posting on this forum until I feel the need to do so. I'm guessing without the Herd fans, Michigan fans, Ohio State fans, this forum will be sort of dismal, but perhaps the Pitt fans, Va Tech fans, and Iowa State fans will swarm to the forum in the not so distant future.

ADVERTISEMENT