ADVERTISEMENT

Inclement Weather Delays Scheduled Ballpark Opening

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Inclement Weather Delays Scheduled Ballpark Opening

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (March 5, 2014) - The West Virginia University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics announced today that severe weather, including single-digit temperatures throughout the month of February, will delay the opening of the new Monongalia County Ballpark.

The ballpark was set to open on Tuesday, March 17 at 3 p.m. vs. Waynesburg, but heavy snowfall and single-digit temperatures, many days below zero, throughout February have delayed the installation of the playing surface and critical work on the concourse needed to make the facility operational for baseball. As evidenced by the latest severe weather that dumped several inches of snow in the Morgantown area Wednesday night, construction crews have been dealing with extremely tough work conditions in recent weeks.

"The one thing we don't want to do is open this beautiful park when it is not ready," said WVU Associate Athletic Director for External Affairs Matt Wells. "We really want to commend and thank the construction team at Mascaro and its affiliated contractors as well as involved representatives from Monongalia County, WVU Facilities Management, the WVU Athletic Facilities and Operations staff and the West Virginia Black Bears. All of these groups have worked endless hours to complete the project and reach our goal of a March 17 opening, but the weather kept throwing roadblocks in recent weeks. In the end, Mother Nature won."

Athletic officials and the construction team are now working toward a Friday, April 10 opening of the ballpark, when the Mountaineers are set to play host to Butler in a three-game weekend series. The Friday night series opener is set for a 6:05 p.m. first pitch.

More information on scheduled home WVU baseball games on March 17 and March 27- 29 will be announced in the coming days. Fans who have purchased season tickets or single-game tickets for the scheduled March home games will be notified of their ticket exchange options once a final decision is made on the status of these games.

WVU baseball season ticket holders will also be sent a voucher redeemable for four free tickets to a future game at Monongalia County Ballpark as a thank you for their support of the baseball program and for their patience and understanding of the ballpark's delayed opening.

"When I visited the ballpark site in January, I was impressed with the facility and knew that WVU baseball was set to have a great home. I also was very pleased with the construction team and their planned work schedule," said WVU Director of Athletics Shane Lyons. "Then when I started on the job on Feb. 2, I saw the continued setbacks that the bad weather and single-digit temperatures were bringing, and it became an uphill battle.

"The bottom line is that this facility will be beautiful and great for North Central West Virginia, but we don't want to ruin the opening with a ballpark that is not ready to meet the needs of our fans. We are hopeful for the end of winter soon and better temperatures ahead so that the April 10 opening will be a special night."

Darn the luck

Well I guess I get 4 tickets for every 1 I have prior to Apr 10.

Re: Darn the luck

Baseball shouldn't start until May anyway. It's ridiculous to start playing games in the middle of winter.

ADVERTISEMENT