ADVERTISEMENT

In B12 play, Harler is shooting 8% from 3 and 13% overall

And we will continue to lose as long as he is seeing minutes. He’s not exactly a lock down defender either.

That’s on Huggs. Remember Huggs recruited Harler off of 10th grade year at Class A Wheeling Central where he looked the same as he does now physically just about. Harler never developed or got better since then. He never got any taller or better from 10th-12th grade. Huggs jumped the gun. It’s weird because Huggs wouldn’t recruit the better WV kids like Jon Elmore and CJ Burks who both dominated Class AAA. Huggs also didn’t recruit Frampton and others back then. I think Huggs only recruits the guys he doesn’t have to work to get. He never worked hard enough for Dante Grantham either. Big loss.

Right now Huggs has to work to get top WV kids like David Early, Obinna for 2020. He is too lazy and arrogant to beg those kids to come. Also Huggs recruits lower WV kids like Harler but won’t give Drew Williamson a shot. Drew Williamson is way better than Harler. Huggs also won’t give Zyon Dobbs a shot yet but recruits Harler????? What a joke!

He's also averaging 1.3 ppg in 16.3 minutes per game. Should any of us be that surprised that we're 0-4 in conference with a guy of this level logging so many minutes?

Who are we going to put in? It's not exactly like anybody else is lighting it up.

Reactions: Rootmaster
That’s on Huggs. Remember Huggs recruited Harler off of 10th grade year at Class A Wheeling Central where he looked the same as he does now physically just about. Harler never developed or got better since then. He never got any taller or better from 10th-12th grade. Huggs jumped the gun. It’s weird because Huggs wouldn’t recruit the better WV kids like Jon Elmore and CJ Burks who both dominated Class AAA. Huggs also didn’t recruit Frampton and others back then. I think Huggs only recruits the guys he doesn’t have to work to get. He never worked hard enough for Dante Grantham either. Big loss.

Right now Huggs has to work to get top WV kids like David Early, Obinna for 2020. He is too lazy and arrogant to beg those kids to come. Also Huggs recruits lower WV kids like Harler but won’t give Drew Williamson a shot. Drew Williamson is way better than Harler. Huggs also won’t give Zyon Dobbs a shot yet but recruits Harler????? What a joke!

Williamson
list of D-I scholarship offers Akron, VMI, UNC-Asheville, Lafayette and Nicholls State.

Schools like West Virginia, South Carolina, Rutgers, Marshall and Butler showed interest, but wanted to see Williamson go through a prep season first.

“They want me to get my hops up and they want me to get about two or three steps quicker,” Williamson said. “And they want me to be an all-around better defender, an off-the-ball defender.”

David Early has offer from WVU - it's now up to Early.
Obinna - Offered by WVU it's now up to Obinna
Zyon Dobbs - has no official offers from any school. combo guard still learning how to play PG.
Jalen Bridges coming to WVU

Jon Elmore chose VMI- The place his father played. He wanted to be closer to Charleston to see his GF.

Elmore enrolled at Marshall in January 2015 as a Virginia Military Institute transfer and wasn't eligible to play for the Thundering Herd men's basketball team, so he joined an intramural squad.

Elmore’s grandfather, Otmer, was diagnosed with late stages of cancer. Paralysis started setting in for the patriarch of the Elmore family, and he was no longer able to perform daily functions. In the early 1960s, Otmer played basketball for West Virginia University and was a “larger-than-life” figure for Elmore and his older brother Ot, named after him. In order to care for their grandfather, Elmore and Ot, who had redshirted as a freshman the year before at VMI, withdrew from the school before ever playing a game.

“I decided that (my grandfather) was bigger than school and basketball,” Elmore said. “I got to spend the final four months of my grandpa’s life with him every day, talking to him, taking care of him. I wouldn’t trade that for anything.”

Elmore decided to enroll at Marshall, the closest Division-I school to his house in Charleston, West Virginia. For the next few months, he drove back and forth during the week from school to his home to stay with his grandfather.

http://dailyorange.com/2017/11/mars...d-home-inauspicious-beginning-college-career/

Now lay the crap off WVU not taking or wanting him garbage. It had nothing to do about WVU and Elmore made the decision to stay close to care for his Grandfather.

Dante Grantham was offered by WVU and Everhart spent every weekend in Martinsburg We didn't have scholarship open at the time. He wasn't willing to wait. He said if he had an offer. He got an offer as one opened. He strung the coaches along. He moved on and he went to prep school. So how did WVU screw with him? Seems like it was the other way around.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Who are we going to put in? It's not exactly like anybody else is lighting it up.
Play them all, until 1 or 2 actually get better. If none of them get any better then we know what we need next year.

He's also averaging 1.3 ppg in 16.3 minutes per game. Should any of us be that surprised that we're 0-4 in conference with a guy of this level logging so many minutes?
For me he seems lost on both sides of the court. Being always out of offensive position and horrible defensive positioning just drives me crazy.

For me he seems lost on both sides of the court. Being always out of offensive position and horrible defensive positioning just drives me crazy.

It's not an effort thing because I think he's really giving it everything he has and is trying to be a coach on the court, getting the others into the rights sets offensively and defensively. He's just being asked to do things I don't think he really can due to departures and the current roster configuration. I don't think Huggs has lost his touch coaching as some on here appear to. I just think that he may not be as involved in recruiting as he needs to be and/or he values defense so much more than offense to the extent that his guards come in with very limited skills. Leaving the Big East has either shifted our recruiting focus away from NY/NJ or it has hampered our ability to land quality players from that area.

It's not an effort thing because I think he's really giving it everything he has and is trying to be a coach on the court, getting the others into the rights sets offensively and defensively. He's just being asked to do things I don't think he really can due to departures and the current roster configuration. I don't think Huggs has lost his touch coaching as some on here appear to. I just think that he may not be as involved in recruiting as he needs to be and/or he values defense so much more than offense to the extent that his guards come in with very limited skills. Leaving the Big East has either shifted our recruiting focus away from NY/NJ or it has hampered our ability to land quality players from that area.

Basketball for the most part doesn't work like football because of AAU.
Most recruits are not attached to a certain region.
You have to recruit nationally in basketball.

Even in the BE West Virginia was all over the map.

Truthfully think WV should hit up Chicago and St Louis more.
That is where they found Jevon Carter.

Just an update...he's now shooting 7.7% in conference play from 3. Last year, he played in 6 conference games and for 14 minutes total. Just shows the shape we're in when Huggs has to lean on Harler for so many minutes when his performance is what it is.

He will start the next game. His 1.3 points a game looks good to Hugg's.
He’s the only one left that is still doing what Huggs is tellling him to do....

At this point, the season is lost, Huggs should allow his players to struggle, mature, and see if they’ll develop into role players.

Just an update...he's now shooting 7.7% in conference play from 3. Last year, he played in 6 conference games and for 14 minutes total. Just shows the shape we're in when Huggs has to lean on Harler for so many minutes when his performance is what it is.

Harler's minutes have dropped from 34 to 23. His minutes in Big 12 are 15.4 in 5 Big 12 games.

Saddest thing is not the percentage in conference games but opponents don't have to worry about guarding him.

Reactions: jtturner09
Harler's minutes have dropped from 34 to 23. His minutes in Big 12 are 15.4 in 5 Big 12 games.

Saddest thing is not the percentage in conference games but opponents don't have to worry about guarding him.

Other than Bolden, there has not been a whole lot of scoring from ANY guard.

I liked seeing him drive the ball. Maybe seeing the ball go through the hoop a few times will get him going.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT