ADVERTISEMENT

In 2018 what WVU sports improvement or change do you most want to see?

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
I'm sure you all have things you want to see WVU improve on but what one thing stands out to you?

I'm going with the most talked about, improved high school QB recruiting and development.

If I only get to pick one thing, Strength and Conditioning. I think if that improves, then we’ll naturally get improvement in my option 1A.) Dana get as much out of his talent each game as Huggins seems to be able to do.

Reactions: Wvu21795 and Vernon
1. STRENGTH and conditioning TO BE F$&@ING NASTY (like Conrad Dobler teaches the rule book) on the OLine
2. Dana do more play call strategies which means at the very least don't run your best throwing qb in a generation on a naked bootleg on 3rd and goal from the 1 yd line. I would also add on a short ydage get the qb (rather Grier or a running style backup) under center like we did in 2015 & 2016.
3. Improvements in both punting and kicking (not coverages as much as the foots)
4. Less stupid movie video clips on the video board. That $#!+ is soooo old it's now just annoying.
5. More replays on the video board.

Oh and for the rifle team, I want canned applause when the opponent is shooting.

Reactions: Wvu21795
I am thinking more of a NC for the football team and for the basketball team. Let's break out of being mediocre in a BIG way! Just joking. Warez

New strength coach. We obviously seem weak.

More Balanced attack.

O-line that can push forward instead of backwards.

A defensive line that stacks the RB striaght up instead of being pushed down or tackling the runner throwing him forward.

I like the 3-3-5 but it takes new incoming players to long to figure it out. Time we changed to a 4-2-5 or a base 3-4. You can always add in different wrinkles to make this defense more diverse, but Cover 6 and Cover 3 are great starting points.

A scheme does not make a great defense. Great defenses play fast, fight to the whistle and finish every play. (we seem not to do this anymore)

Reactions: Wvu21795
Huggins in the Final Four, and maybe the national title.
For Dana, I'd be happy if he could win the Big 12 football title.
My needs are few and simple.
Oh, yes ... and before I die. I am 85, you know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil and wvpaper
Football lacks a certain attitude about it. We need that chip on the shoulder, out work, out hit, and out hussle mentality back.

Wait, where have I heard that before?

Our recruiting is improving, players seem to want to be here, and facilities are improving. I would even say we get increased exposure.

It's just that meanness is gone. We need it back. We need to play like someone let a beast out of the cage.

Reactions: Rootmaster
You folks that want a basketball National Championship.................take a look around. The basketball season is well underway and the Mountaineers played Kansas State tonight. Ole, I get it. You are going to become fans after the Mountaineers make the Sweet Sixteen. Warez

Hey Warez

Don't knock the WVU basketball fans late to the party. I don't start watching til March 1st. Until then it is ALL the preseason.

Hey Warez

Don't knock the WVU basketball fans late to the party. I don't start watching til March 1st. Until then it is ALL the preseason.
I try to watch every game. I'd go watch practice if Huggins would let me, at least I'd get to see Esa play and see if Knapper was practicing!

I'm sure you all have things you want to see WVU improve on but what one thing stands out to you?

I'm going with the most talked about, improved high school QB recruiting and development.

Football:

1.). Better defense

2.). Stop going for it every 4th down.

3.). Better qb development

4.). More depth

5.). Better strength and conditioning

6.). Return of a killer instinct

Better player development/depth for FB team. At all positions. OL, CB, WR, LB, DL, all seemed to have very big drop offs from starter to back ups.

More diversity in our running attack. We are predictable.

Strength and conditioning if I had to choose one. Poor S&C allows a greater chance for injuries. We have seen the conditioning bite us a few times. I do not think our success under Fraud was a credit to him as much as our S&C coach, albeit the destruction of records after he left made me question his ethics, he did a helluva job getting our kids prepared.

toughness return to Mountaineer Football with an attention to basics. Great example
of softness - at Heart of Dallas Bowl Utah practices in full pads and goes at it - Mountaineers practice in shorts. I guess Dana served tea and crumpets at breaks.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I want all of our coaches to be more relentless and to clean up our play (football and basketball) while increasing the athlete’s over all sports IQ

1) A coach without a comb over

2) A QB without small hands

3) A defense that does not give up 40 points a game and 200 rushing yards

4) Better looking cheerleaders

5)More moonshine going through the stands. Some of you are bogarting the jug

6)To have Koolaid boy to finally come out of the closet and admit his man crush on Dana Holgersen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT