ADVERTISEMENT

If Will Grier is tops in passing yards, passing tds & completion pct, is he the Heisman winner?

5-Technique

Junior
May 14, 2018
Johnny Ola's house
I was thinking about this more after I read the piece that was posted on this message board. Does he win it if we are 9-3, 10-2? I think WVU would have to at least make the Big 12 Championship Game and more likely would have to win it. I dunno...I was in school when there was the "Amos for Heisman" campaign that was pre-internet marketing like it is today and I never really felt he was a legitimate contender even though I think he finished 5th or 6th that year if I am not mistaken. Not sure if he wins it but I feel that Grier is a finalist if he stays upright.

I agree that WVU would have to win 9 or more. Anything less and a QB on a 10- to 15-win team will appear to be superior even if his numbers are lower than Grier's. A lot of great athletes spend their careers on losing teams and never make anyone's Hall of Fame.

Same with coaching. A WV h.s. coach with absolutely little talent can guide a team to 5-5 or 6-4--best coaching job in state--and he won't be considered for coach of the year.

Reactions: 4everloyal
MountainBill nailed the correct answer. Nine wins would not get the trophy for Grier even if he put up 10,000 yards. WVU has to re-emerge as a national contender for Grier to even get a serious look. It is all about getting your TEAM to win.

Unfortunately a lot of the Heisman votes depends on wins and losses.

Check out the list of recent Heisman winners and you have your answer.
From Oklahoma, Louisville, Alabama, Oregon, Florida State, Texas A&M, Baylor, Auburn.
Minimum requirement: Big 12 title. Better shot: WVU in national football playoffs. Best shot: QB of national champs.

Check out the list of recent Heisman winners and you have your answer.
From Oklahoma, Louisville, Alabama, Oregon, Florida State, Texas A&M, Baylor, Auburn.
Minimum requirement: Big 12 title. Better shot: WVU in national football playoffs. Best shot: QB of national champs.

Trophy is awarded Dec. 8th. So your minimum requirements are out.

I think we would have to win 10 or more games and play in the conference championship game for him to have a shot.

If Grier is all that then I just hope that the defense can at least get in somebody’s way

Lamar Jackson didn't.
The reason Jackson won despite the losses was because of when those losses came. If WVU starts the season 9-1 or 10-0 and Grier puts up top tier numbers, then he'll likely be the frontrunner.

Of course, I'd rather not see a late season collapse on the order of 2016 Louisville, either.

ADVERTISEMENT