ADVERTISEMENT

If we hadn't lost Coach Stewart ...

There's so much misinformation in this thread that people should actually start respecting a 'mith' or two.
I know its hard to defend Dana so the best way is to just call it misinformation. How about the one where Dana overslept for a meeting with the Gov.

You must have forgot about "mass confusion on the WV sideline," throwing Casteel under the bus after the loss to UConn, or being a Tron Martinez fumble away from losing to Marshall. While they sounded nice and humble in the runup to the Fiesta Bowl, the Stewism's got quite old after a while.
And you know what, the defense came back the next week and took UC to the woodshed. The seven fumbles cost us that game but we had a real good defense that year and UConn ran the ball all over us that night. Casteels group needed their butt chewed

I know its hard to defend Dana so the best way is to just call it misinformation. How about the one where Dana overslept for a meeting with the Gov.

I have zero interest in defending Dana. He's let me down.

I'd LOVE Kirby as our next head coach.

What's your next move champ ?

You must have forgot about "mass confusion on the WV sideline," throwing Casteel under the bus after the loss to UConn, or being a Tron Martinez fumble away from losing to Marshall. While they sounded nice and humble in the runup to the Fiesta Bowl, the Stewism's got quite old after a while.

you do know if the Big East does not screw up the booth review at UC one year Stew wins the BE and we play VT in the orange bowl.

I am not sure who I want as our next coach. I just don't want an assistant coach that requires OJT

How many B12 championships would we have won by now? How many national championships?

Your post seems to insinuate that a fair number of folks on this board feel that Stew was a better choice than Dana at head coach. While that maybe true, just stating displeasure with Dana's performance as head coach does not equate to pining for coach Stew or even RRod. I think that after 4.5 seasons, Dana has shown enough deficiencies to make it reasonable to be concerned about his ability to have WVU competing for a Big XII title. That does not mean I want RRod back or think making a change from Stew was a bad idea. I think that Stew refusing to acknowledge the problems that were keeping WVU from a Big East title was enough reason to replace him ... it just seems that Dana is not the answer either.

Your post seems to insinuate that a fair number of folks on this board feel that Stew was a better choice than Dana at head coach. While that maybe true, just stating displeasure with Dana's performance as head coach does not equate to pining for coach Stew or even RRod. I think that after 4.5 seasons, Dana has shown enough deficiencies to make it reasonable to be concerned about his ability to have WVU competing for a Big XII title. That does not mean I want RRod back or think making a change from Stew was a bad idea. I think that Stew refusing to acknowledge the problems that were keeping WVU from a Big East title was enough reason to replace him ... it just seems that Dana is not the answer either.
This makes sense. Changing of coaches has risk, which is why I almost want to stay with Dana one more year.

Wow! A logical post.

Am I on the right forum?

You LOVE Kirby? LOL, he'd get killed in the Big 12.

Kirby is a Saban disciple, 7 or 8 in the box, stop the run. Every team Bama has lost to in the last few years has a spread offense. Oklahoma, Ohio St., Auburn, Ole Miss (x 2). All those teams run spread and they put points on Bama.

The point is, Kirby Smart has no HC experience, runs a decent SEC defense, let's pass on him.

You see no irony in dissing Saban when you can name only 4 teams he has lost to in "the last few years?"

Do you not think it possible that if Saban or Smart coached in the Big 12 they would adjust accordingly to the types of offenses they faced most often?

I too would prefer someone with HC experience, but to think Smart wouldn't be capable of devising defenses on a par with say Joe DeForest or Tony Gibson is hilarious.

Reactions: MntnEERinSC
lmao no way, no how was Stewart ever a better coach than Holgorson.

Maybe so, but it is no longer relevant in the discussion concerning his current performance as HC. Let's stick to the facts of his current duties and whether he executes them to the best of his ability; ok?

That said, he drives me nucking futs at times, but especially when we lose as we seem to lose big. And I don't mean the score, the team performance. OSU being a prime example; WVU should have won the game but we played poorly and looked lost at times on all sides of the ball.

That is what frustrates me most and his declining attitude through the game as it goes south. He should have been better prepared for the OT during OSU, but I think he had already checked out.

(This applies to both above from 5150 and The Punisheer)

Maybe so, but it is no longer relevant in the discussion concerning his current performance as HC. Let's stick to the facts of his current duties and whether he executes them to the best of his ability; ok?

That said, he drives me nucking futs at times, but especially when we lose as we seem to lose big. And I don't mean the score, the team performance. OSU being a prime example; WVU should have won the game but we played poorly and looked lost at times on all sides of the ball.

That is what frustrates me most and his declining attitude through the game as it goes south. He should have been better prepared for the OT during OSU, but I think he had already checked out.

(This applies to both above from 5150 and The Punisheer)

I agree, the problem is the pro Dana guys continue to try and link Dana and Bill as to provide an excuse for Dana. The problem is fans, Ollie, and media all saw the potential that Dana was not head coaching material early so it seems fans continue to justify the lack of performance from our HC. The lack of depth was the last thing Stew could be blamed for so now sink or swim time.

lmao no way, no how was Stewart ever a better coach than Holgorson.

to be honest Im not sure Bill was really ever given the chance to prove this either way. Shoot, if it were not for the BE blowing a booth call at UC Stew wins the league and plays VT in the Orange bowl.

What I don't get at all is that people who point to Stewart as an example of what is insufficient at WVU don't follow that thread to the conclusion that it pretty much eliminates any argument Dana is sufficient.

What I don't get at all is that people who point to Stewart as an example of what is insufficient at WVU don't follow that thread to the conclusion that it pretty much eliminates any argument Dana is sufficient.

Wow! Yes, and the only excuse the pro Dana guys could use was the lack of depth. Now that is gone we have a true performance evaluation.

to be honest Im not sure Bill was really ever given the chance to prove this either way. Shoot, if it were not for the BE blowing a booth call at UC Stew wins the league and plays VT in the Orange bowl.
lmao!!! He would've got beaten like a drum if that team played VT in the BCS. Good lord. People need to learn the strength of the big 12 versus the big east. Seems very few can understand that.

The Big 12 is better than the BE was 2004-11. No debating that, but let's not exaggerate how tough it is.

Baylor versus OOC Power 5 competition (1-1):

2012:1-0
2013 0-0 (but LOST to UCF)
2014: 0-1
2015: 0-0

TCU (4-2):
2012: 1-1
2013: 0-1
2014: 2-0
2015: 1-0

Oklahoma (4-3):

2012: 0-2
2013: 2-0
2014: 1-1

OSU (3-3):

2013: 1-1

WVU (3-4):

2014: 1-2

TTU (3-1):

2012: 1-0
2013: 1-0

Texas (2-6, [8?]):

2012: 2-0
2013: 0-2 (plus a loss to BYU)
2014: 0-2 (with another loss to BYU)
2015: 0-2

Kansas State (2-3):

2014: 0-2

ISU (2-2):

2014: 1-0
2015: 0-1

Kansas (0-2):

2012: 0-0
2013: 0-0

That's 24-27 (29 if you count BYU) It's 7-15 over this and last year. And, it's not as if there are a whole host of impressive wins in there either. Our "bell cow" Baylor has exactly ONE win over a Power 5 team in the last 4 years, and its .500 record could be as much due to chicken$#!+ scheduling as prowess.

We also see losses to Group of 5 and even FCS schools -- not just by Kansas. This isn't the murderer's row some of you like to claim.

And I repeat, Dana is 5-3 lifetime against teams that were in the 2004-11, Big East, with a worse winning percentage not just than Rodriguez but also Stewart.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoWVU
Let's not be too hasty in automatically assuming the Big 12 was THAT much better than the Big East, either before or after the ACC defections.

In the 17 seasons that the Big 12 and Big East both existed (1996-2012), the Big East went 18-18 against the Big 12. However, the breakdown may surprise you:

Big East against Big 12 before BC, Miami, and VT left = 7-10
Big East against Big 12 after BC, Miami, and VT left = 11-8

lmao!!! He would've got beaten like a drum if that team played VT in the BCS. Good lord. People need to learn the strength of the big 12 versus the big east. Seems very few can understand that.
If you read this thread you will see that I agree Ollie had the right to have his own coach in place so not sure. Also, not sure why the VT vs Big 12 discussion even matters

Judging by the board, WVU fans are a fickle bunch aren't we. The season is half over, we've played 3 opponents we should have beaten, and 3 top notch teams, we have 4 games coming up we should win, with 2 we probably shouldn't. 7-5 isn't good enough, but 8-4 would be for me, this year.. 7-5 and a bowl win would be good enough this year. Sooner or later Holgs will need to have a breakout year, I think that would need to come before another contract extension is talked about, but acting like there is no difference between a potentially average season (7-5) and a disaster season (4-8) is ridiculous. Having another winning season is a big goal when you're not an elite, in a hard conference. We are playing big boy football 9 games a year, we aren't at the point where we're going to win 7-8 of them yet. But eventually we will need to start over if holgs proves he cant put us up to that point of competing for a conference title once in a while.

Kansas, ISU, KSU,TCU, TTU, OSU and Baylor are bigger boys than we used to be? What's the basis for that claim? Texas and OU are bigger boys, even though they, especially Texas are not in top form.

Who here was conceding we couldn't compete when we joined the league? I recall that we used to be rather confident, even boastful.

Amazing what a poor coach can do to attitudes.

The Big 12 is better than the BE was 2004-11. No debating that, but let's not exaggerate how tough it is.

Baylor versus OOC Power 5 competition (1-1):

2012:1-0
2013 0-0 (but LOST to UCF)

TCU (4-2):
2014: 2-0

Oklahoma (4-3):

2012: 0-2
2013: 2-0

OSU (3-3):

2013: 1-1

WVU (3-4):

2014: 1-2

TTU (3-1):

Texas (2-6, [8?]):

2012: 2-0
2013: 0-2 (plus a loss to BYU)
2014: 0-2 (with another loss to BYU)
2015: 0-2

Kansas State (2-3):

2014: 0-2

ISU (2-2):

2014: 1-0

Kansas (0-2):

2012: 0-0
2013: 0-0

That's 24-27 (29 if you count BYU) It's 7-15 over this and last year. And, it's not as if there are a whole host of impressive wins in there either. Our "bell cow" Baylor has exactly ONE win over a Power 5 team in the last 4 years, and its .500 record could be as much due to chicken$#!+ scheduling as prowess.

We also see losses to Group of 5 and even FCS schools -- not just by Kansas. This isn't the murderer's row some of you like to claim.

And I repeat, Dana is 5-3 lifetime against teams that were in the 2004-11, Big East, with a worse winning percentage not just than Rodriguez but also Stewart.

Let's not be too hasty in automatically assuming the Big 12 was THAT much better than the Big East, either before or after the ACC defections.

In the 17 seasons that the Big 12 and Big East both existed (1996-2012), the Big East went 18-18 against the Big 12. However, the breakdown may surprise you:

Big East against Big 12 before BC, Miami, and VT left = 7-10
Big East against Big 12 after BC, Miami, and VT left = 11-8
you got to love these clueless "fans". It's easier to get up for a 1 game bowl against a powerful team than face a gauntlet of them in a regular season. That's where depth and talent is key to replacing injured stars with stars rather than replacing them with Walk ons or low rated talent. No way in this world was the big east EVER on the same level as the big 12. Never! Big east = Miami The big 12= 4-5 Miami's. It's not even close. Lmao!!!

you got to love these clueless "fans". It's easier to get up for a 1 game bowl against a powerful team than face a gauntlet of them in a regular season. That's where depth and talent is key to replacing injured stars with stars rather than replacing them with Walk ons or low rated talent. No way in this world was the big east EVER on the same level as the big 12. Never! Big east = Miami The big 12= 4-5 Miami's. It's not even close. Lmao!!!

It is laughable and yet the same 2 or 3 morons continue to make these ridiculous comparisons that ignore reason or logic over and over again. How low does your football knowledge and/or IQ have to be to actually believe that the Big East was as strong as the Big 12. And how ridiculous is it to tout selective statistic justifying your silly statements. It is easy to see why this has become an idiot board.

iu

I keep hearing how we have more 4 stars than ever before, etc. If that's the case, WVU should be more than 7-17 or whatever it is against Big 12 opponents who are not KS and ISU (4-2 against them).

Most of those one- and two-point losses? I think Stewart's teams would have been better prepared and found a way to win the majority of them..

I keep hearing how we have more 4 stars than ever before, etc. If that's the case, WVU should be more than 7-17 or whatever it is against Big 12 opponents who are not KS and ISU (4-2 against them).

Most of those one- and two-point losses? I think Stewart's teams would have been better prepared and found a way to win the majority of them..
lmao!!!! Lmao!!!! Stewart teams better prepared and found a way to win the majority of them? Funniest post of the week. Stewart teams would be lucky to find their way back to the locker room at the end of the game after the beatings. You people need to educate yourselves on football.

How does showing how the Big 12 actually does on the field versus Power 5 conferences not relate to how strong the conference really is?

I fail to see how YOU squealing that it's awesome and throwing around insults provides a more objective measure.

As I said, there is no debate it is better than the BE was from 2004-11. (there could be HUGE debate about how the current Big 12 stacks up to the 90s Big East, but that really doesn't matter)

The Big 12 has a losing record against other Power 5 conferences since we joined and the record is worse looking at 2014-15 than it was in 2012-13. Given that people scream that WE ARE IMPROVING but there are zero facts to support any claim the Big 12 is improving, it follows that we should be doing better.

That the same exact people now making excuses used to brag how we were going to show "the big boys" how we belonged when we joined, and were literally crowing after the 2012 Baylor and Texas games, you have no leg to stand on as your substance free screeds amply demonstrate.

Everyone who was of the opinion that, as of 8/1/2012, it was unrealistic to expect WVU to exceed 5-7 against Kansas, Iowa State, Texas Tech and KSU, step up and link us to your post with that warning.

Last edited:
Big East vs. Big XII all time I believe was 25 wins, 26 losses. BCS? Almost exactly the same record...won head to head as much as they lost. In no way was the Big XII superior - particularly at the top - than the Big East. And yet, it was this perception that caused the Big East to first be diluted then killed off by network TV executives and the basketball university heads.

You've got to love these clueless "fans" who resort to the Bret Bielema "week in and week out" defense when the facts don't support their opinions. LMAO!!!

He got us/WVU in the position to ' choke' away a chance at the national title game.

I suppose just sucking is more enjoyable for some fans.
Once again (and for the millionth time) , DRod did NOT get us in position to possibly win a NT, that was done primarily by some guy that wore #5. DRod has not gotten Mich or Az in a position to win an NT either,

Once again (and for the millionth time) , DRod did NOT get us in position to possibly win a NT, that was done primarily by some guy that wore #5. DRod has not gotten Mich or Az in a position to win an NT either,

He has been successful overall at AZ, meanwhile Pat is selling energy drinks.

The man can coach, his problem is he's stubborn and refuses to hire a good DC.

I do not know the exact number of scholarships left dangling under Stewart but it was more than 2 and I do recall it being something on the order of 10. I could be wrong though, the fact that even one was unused is reason to doubt the intelligence of the head coach that does that.

However, I was not referring to the number of scholarships left hanging, I was referring to the quality of the average player recruited under both Stewart and Holgorsen. While there are a handful of standouts, the bulk of our team is Mid-Major grade, good Mid-Major as we can beat Mid-Majors, but we do not have solid players across the board.

When they play, they look soft, out of shape, undisciplined, uncertain who is in charge and worst of all, they are not mentally tough. They play with an Oh Well attitude that pervades a good portion of the posters on this board and the Moral Victory Majority.
Well, first of all, recruiting right now is as good as its ever been (but yes, it does need to be better due to the vast upgrade in our schedule). As for being soft, out of shape, and not mentally tough - I'd like to know how you can judge that from your seat (probably on a couch). We need to be better, and what I see (from my seat in the stands, so admittedly not much better than yours) is a team that is improving but isn't ready to be a top 20 program yet. Odds are its going to take a while. Odds are that this coach won't be able to do enough to get us there and neither will the next one. Bama and Ohio St didn't become great programs overnight, they were great long before WVU even thought about being bigtime. We have our work cut out for us. And we don't need fans who spout unfounded negativity and call us the MVM. No bub, it's called being realistic but also supportive of the young men who are working very hard to win. Bite me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT