ADVERTISEMENT

If there is no football season then here's what...

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
I plan to do. Picking 12 games from the past...from 1984 to now...and each Saturday my wife and I and maybe couple other Mountaineer fans will grill a bit...get the beer cold...and watch a game to get our Mountaineer football fix. Have narrowed the field and have a feeling we will go 12-0 in my homemade season. Thank God for YouTube vids.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cavaleer
I nominate the game played at Mountaineer Field on 9/5/98, and will bring the beer.

I would love the 1915 game of WVU vs Marshall and the 2012 Marshall game with a last quarter watch of the Marshall choke job in Huntington.

Oh that's right Marshall choked twice. 1997 came from behind only to blow it when it mattered. Then 2010 with a 21-6 lead and 8 minutes to go fumbled with a chance to ice the game and quickly choked after their coach says I'll play zone prevent now.

Oh that's right Marshall choked twice. 1997 came from behind only to blow it when it mattered. Then 2010 with a 21-6 lead and 8 minutes to go fumbled with a chance to ice the game and quickly choked after their coach says I'll play zone prevent now.
Well, in 97 we had the lead and the ball with 12 minutes to play but had trouble blocking Gary Stills all day and he came off the edge and " forced" a Sophomore Chad Pennington into throwing an ill advised pass that was intercepted. Chad still bemoans that play to this day. The other game you mentioned is beyond comprehension.

Well, in 97 we had the lead and the ball with 12 minutes to play but had trouble blocking Gary Stills all day and he came off the edge and " forced" a Sophomore Chad Pennington into throwing an ill advised pass that was intercepted. Chad still bemoans that play to this day. The other game you mentioned is beyond comprehension.

WVU had no answer for Randy Moss. So they decided to take their chances and blitz as Marshall O-Line had trouble containing. Chad was sacked 5 times and threw 4 INT's. Marshall couldn't handle the blitz.

One guy everyone forgets about in the 97 game from Marshall was LaVorn Colclough who had 6 catches for 79 yards and a TD. Nobody but he an Moss were able to do anything.

WVU only threw 22 passes as Amos dominated on the ground.

WVU had no answer for Randy Moss. So they decided to take their chances and blitz as Marshall O-Line had trouble containing. Chad was sacked 5 times and threw 4 INT's. Marshall couldn't handle the blitz.

One guy everyone forgets about in the 97 game from Marshall was LaVorn Colclough who had 6 catches for 79 yards and a TD. Nobody but he an Moss were able to do anything.

WVU only threw 22 passes as Amos dominated on the ground.
I seem to remember MU having some success busting Chapman up the middle on draw plays but you're correct we had trouble getting Amos on the ground and the best NFL QB WVU ever produced didn't have to throw much.I think the Mounties blocked a punt for TD as well off Hanson who went on to have a solid NFL career.Fun but painful memories.

I seem to remember MU having some success busting Chapman up the middle on draw plays but you're correct we had trouble getting Amos on the ground and the best NFL QB WVU ever produced didn't have to throw much.I think the Mounties blocked a punt for TD as well off Hanson who went on to have a solid NFL career.Fun but painful memories.

Chapman had 37 yards with long of 18. Llow Turner had a 106 yards with a long of 53 that he took to the house in 3rd.

Marc Bulger was also a sophomore in 1997

That blocked punt was the first TD in the game in first quarter.

Chapman had 37 yards with long of 18. Llow Turner had a 106 yards with a long of 53 that he took to the house in 3rd.

Marc Bulger was also a sophomore in 1997

That blocked punt was the first TD in the game in first quarter.
Llow Turner, there's name I haven't heard in a long time. Bulger threw a nice ball, great deep ball. I wasn't surprised he started for several years for the Rams.

Llow Turner, there's name I haven't heard in a long time. Bulger threw a nice ball, great deep ball. I wasn't surprised he started for several years for the Rams.

Without a doubt best pure passer in WVU history. IMO better than Grier. Hard to say how many yards Bulger would have had in a Dana video game offense.

Bulger reached 1,000 completions faster than any quarterback in NFL history. Bulger achieved this in 45 games, two games less than ex-Rams QB Kurt Warner (47). Drew Bledsow and Peyton Manning did it in 48 games and Dan Marino took 49.

Bulger lasted 10 years in NFL.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Without a doubt best pure passer in WVU history. IMO better than Grier. Hard to say how many yards Bulger would have had in a Dana video game offense.

Bulger reached 1,000 completions faster than any quarterback in NFL history. Bulger achieved this in 45 games, two games less than ex-Rams QB Kurt Warner (47). Drew Bledsow and Peyton Manning did it in 48 games and Dan Marino took 49.

Bulger lasted 10 years in NFL.
I'd take him over Grier any day of the week...not the runner Grier was but a much better passer. No comparison between the two if we're talking about the Pro game!

Just watched that 97 game again.

Had forgotten
1. Pennington started his freshman year sat out the 96 season and played 97.
2. Bulgers first game as WVU QB in 97 game. (explains 22 passes)
3. Roughing the punter call near the end of 3rdQ set up the Pennington to Moss TD that gave Marshall 35-31 lead.
4. Pennington in 4th Q threw 2 INT in back to back drives blowing the game. Gave WVU short field and 2 TD's.
5. There were 21 penalties in that game. MU 10 WVU 11

The play by play guys were horrible.

Just watched that 97 game again.

Had forgotten
1. Pennington started his freshman year sat out the 96 season and played 97.
2. Bulgers first game as WVU QB in 97 game. (explains 22 passes)
3. Roughing the punter call near the end of 3rdQ set up the Pennington to Moss TD that gave Marshall 35-31 lead.
4. Pennington in 4th Q threw 2 INT in back to back drives blowing the game. Gave WVU short field and 2 TD's.
5. There were 21 penalties in that game. MU 10 WVU 11

The play by play guys were horrible.
You're taking me down memory lane...in Chad's defense he was under pressure all day. I asked Chad about the short field intercept at a alumni gathering in Lexington,,KY a couple of years ago and he told me if he had it to do over again he'd have just called a draw and punted WVU deep, I think the line of scrimmage was the about our own 35 and Hanson could kick the air out of the football...but we can all hit horse races in deep stretch!

Reactions: WVUALLEN
1.) the game that turned WVU football around and put WVU on the map during the BCS era and proved that GOAT Rodriguez was the truth. Look at how big and mean of an oline WVU used to have. I miss GOAT Rod.

Last edited:
Reactions: pressvirginia
WVU football didn't start with Rod Fraud, who never played for a title. But Don Nehlen did in 1988. WVU was on the map long before the UL game.

Reactions: Rootmaster

Burger went to my High School. Big fan of his. Nice kid.

I plan to do. Picking 12 games from the past...from 1984 to now...and each Saturday my wife and I and maybe couple other Mountaineer fans will grill a bit...get the beer cold...and watch a game to get our Mountaineer football fix. Have narrowed the field and have a feeling we will go 12-0 in my homemade season. Thank God for YouTube vids.

So at the end of your season, do we go to the Orange, Sugar or Fiesta Bowl?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT