ADVERTISEMENT

If the guy didn't run away from the cop, would he have been shot?*

If I knew the answer to that, I would play the lottery.

It's all irrelevant anyway, isn't it? He was unarmed and running away. If anyone anwers no, then you are really saying it's his fault for running away.

If I'm a civilian and a guy has just threatened me with a gun and then runs away, I can't shoot him. My life is not in danger or being threatened at that point.

I'm still pretty sore over the Eric Garner murder. Sensless.

This post was edited on 4/8 2:18 PM by countryroads89

"It's all irrelevant anyway, isn't it?" - not it's not and it's a shame that you can't see that.

No, he wouldn't have been shot if he wasn't running away, but your implication is that therefore he deserved to be shot, which of course many people will find highly offensive.

I can't always accurately keep track of who is who on this board but I think you're GOP and if so and if you're one of those "Why don't black folks vote GOP?" folks then you can refer to attitudes like those in your post as a reason.

Probably not but Tennessee v. Garner set the precedent that

and officer can't use deadly force to prevent an escape.

So shooting a person IN THE FVCKING BACK, when they are UNARMED is justified?

I hope someone helps you cross the street and I sure as hell hope you don't operate a motor vehicle.

Again, you're missing the point: If the guy had obeyed the officer's orders and did not run away, would he have been shot?

Not familiar with the discussion, but if you are speaking of a fleeing felon, deadly force may be used. The law several years ago, I would not think it has been changed.

Then what is your point in starting this thread? *

Originally posted by mneilmont:

Not familiar with the discussion, but if you are speaking of a fleeing felon, deadly force may be used. The law several years ago, I would not think it has been changed.
Deadly force may only be used on a fleeing suspect when the officer has a reasonable belief the person fleeing creates an imminent threat to the officer or someone else.

Example: if a suspect exchanges gunshots with an officer and then attempts to flee, an officer would be justified in using deadly force even if the suspect was retreating.

Someone who simply flees a traffic stop cannot reasonably be considered an imminent threat.

I'm not saying anything, I'm simply asking - if the guy complied with the officer's instructions, would he have been shot and killed?

I don't recall the response having to be directed at the officer. Can an officer fire at a robber fleeing the bank? Or does he have to holster and yell that you will get him the next time? How could an officer's life be in jeopardy if the felon is fleeing?

Re: He wasn't a felon.

Then, the answer is you cannot shoot someone in the back(or front) just because you are pissed off.

Probably not...but we don't know for certain...

but he was running away from the cop when told not to...and that's not justification to shoot in this case.

As I stated in the Garner case, It looks like this officer was totally wrong and should be charged with murder.

I don't recall the response having to be directed at the officer. Can an officer fire at a robber fleeing the bank? Or does he have to holster and yell that you will get him the next time? How could an officer's life be in jeopardy if the felon is fleeing?
That was simply an example. An officer can use deadly force against someone who is fleeing if he reasonably believes his life or the life of another is in imminent danger.

Generally, the police cannot open fire on robbery suspects. There are times when opening fire on those suspects would be warranted but your example is to vague to draw any conclusions.

When a suspect is fleeing an officer is generally in pursuit, so yes, there are times when a fleeing suspect can place an officer's life in danger.

That should have read an armed bank robber. Strong armed robbery would not rise to felon. If he is armed, his ass is grass.

What happens if a beat cop walks into an armed robbery in progress? No shots have been fired and no one injured. Can that officer fire at those fleeing felons as they are running to their get-away vehicle? I say the officer should wave at them and not draw, but if he is feeling hero and opens fire and hits a couple in the back, is it a good shoot?

That should have read an armed bank robber. Strong armed robbery would not rise to felon. If he is armed, his ass is grass.

What happens if a beat cop walks into an armed robbery in progress? No shots have been fired and no one injured. Can that officer fire at those fleeing felons as they are running to their get-away vehicle? I say the officer should wave at them and not draw, but if he is feeling hero and opens fire and hits a couple in the back, is it a good shoot?
A suspect having pulled a gun is often enough to justify a shoot, which is why in SC the officer was planting the stun gun.

Drop Gun

In years gone by, a large number of officers carried a clean/untraceable gun for just this type situation. In cases where things got out of hand and a shooting occurred, the drop gun would be fired a couple times and wiped then put back into the hands of the deceased. Cameras attached to officer now makes that a bit difficult.

it was stupid to run. it was stupid to fight with the cop.

Now he is dead and the cop will go to prison. You shouldnt get shot for running away but why take the chance? You are gambling that the cop wont murder you. You are not likely to get away anyhow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT