ADVERTISEMENT

I think its time for WVU, Penn State, Notre Dame

sammyk

All-Conference
Oct 26, 2001
to grab Rutgers, Maryland, Central Florida, South Florida, Cincy and start a new conference. WVU needs to be playing more East coast teams.. I guess we can debate the other teams to join.

Yeah, just throw away that $40,000,000.00 per year, and start up a new conference. Better yet, move the campus and athletic facilities to Port Eades, Louisiana, and join the Sun Belt.

Yeah, just throw away that $40,000,000.00 per year, and start up a new conference. Better yet, move the campus and athletic facilities to Port Eades, Louisiana, and join the Sun Belt.
How much $$$$$ would Notre Dame and Penn State bring to a conference?? As much or more than Texas and Oklahoma. Also how many TV sets are in Maryland, New Jersey and Florida??? WVU gets its recruiting base back and fans could actually travel to games. Add a few more teams in that group and Pow that conference makes more $$$$$ than the Big 12 , Hell add Army Navy and that conference could own that game too.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
Why stop with only convincing (4) B1G teams to join your mythical conference? While you're at it, you might as well grab Ohio State and Michigan, and then head South to convince Clemson, Florida, and Georgia to sign on the dotted line. No reason why those powerhouses wouldn't want to be in a conference with the likes of South Florida, Cincinnati, and Rutgers.

Why stop with only convincing (4) B1G teams to join your mythical conference? While you're at it, you might as well grab Ohio State and Michigan, and then head South to convince Clemson, Florida, and Georgia to sign on the dotted line. No reason why those powerhouses wouldn't want to be in a conference with the likes of South Florida, Cincinnati, and Rutgers.
Look Penn State is not overly happy with the BIG so they could be a get. Plus thats only 3 BIG teams all East coast teams

Look Penn State is not overly happy with the BIG so they could be a get. Plus thats only 3 BIG teams all East coast teams
I know what you're wanting, and obviously, a Northeast/Eastern seaboard conference makes sense, but Joe Paterno sank that ship more than three decades ago. That, and allowing the major TV networks all this power over the conferences and bowls.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
I know what you're wanting, and obviously, a Northeast/Eastern seaboard conference makes sense, but Joe Paterno sank that ship more than three decades ago. That, and allowing the major TV networks all this power over the conferences and bowls.
No Pitt and Syracuse sank it and neither of those two are in my New Conference. And you are right about the money but I would bet my eye teeth that a conference with those teams gains major TV $$$$ interest. I think the Big 12 will sing after the new TV contracts come out so why not

No Pitt and Syracuse sank it and neither of those two are in my New Conference. And you are right about the money but I would bet my eye teeth that a conference with those teams gains major TV $$$$ interest. I think the Big 12 will sing after the new TV contracts come out so why not
How did Pitt and Syracuse sink it? I don't remember it that way. I recall back in the days when the Lambert Trophy was a BFD, and there was talk of forming an Eastern alliance/conference, but JoPa didn't want to partake. Pitt and Syracuse were part of what became the Big East football conference, back when it was a pretty formidable conference, with the likes of WVU, Miami, Pitt, Va Tech, BC, Cuse, Rutgers, Temple, etc. Pitt and Syracuse simply ran to the ACC when they had the chance to do so, and I can't blame them. I believe WVU would have also taken that path, had it not been blockaded.

Compare the new conference with the Big 12

Notre Dame as good or better than Oklahoma
Penn State as good or better than Texas
Central Florida as good or better than Iowa St.
West Virginia
Maryland even with TCU
Cincy even with Baylor
Central Florida as good or better than Texas Tech
Rutgers and Kansas even

Compare the new conference with the Big 12

Notre Dame as good or better than Oklahoma
Penn State as good or better than Texas
Central Florida as good or better than Iowa St.
West Virginia
Maryland even with TCU
Cincy even with Baylor
Central Florida as good or better than Texas Tech
Rutgers and Kansas even

If that is the teams in your conference, it would literally make ZERO DOLLARS in media. That is about as bland and boring as you can get.

Could you please explain to me how this new conference improves recruiting? Did WVU drastically shift recruiting base by joining the Big Xii? I don't see if that way.
Recruiting was better when WVU was and East coast team or maybe the team was better

Recruiting was better when WVU was and East coast team or maybe the team was better
I still don't think WVU recruiting area nor pattern changed because of conference changes. Coaching changes usually dictate that, and we saw a young DH make those changes. He has come back around to a more traditional pattern for WVU in a geographic perspective, but the type of player has changed because of the way he assembles his team. Changing to a newly created conference won't change that unless you change the coaching too.

to grab Rutgers, Maryland, Central Florida, South Florida, Cincy and start a new conference. WVU needs to be playing more East coast teams.. I guess we can debate the other teams to join.

tumblr_nrwsknDo5r1ql56ddo1_500.gif

No. No. NO!

We are right where we belong. The Big XII is the Wild, Wild West and THAT is where West Virginia belongs.

If we don't like the officiating then maybe someone should teach our players some discipline and get them to stop acting like clowns.

They are disrespecting the game, their opponents and themselves when they act that way.

Big XII ALL THE WAY!

A bit of sarcasm here?

How did Pitt and Syracuse sink it? I don't remember it that way. I recall back in the days when the Lambert Trophy was a BFD, and there was talk of forming an Eastern alliance/conference, but JoPa didn't want to partake. Pitt and Syracuse were part of what became the Big East football conference, back when it was a pretty formidable conference, with the likes of WVU, Miami, Pitt, Va Tech, BC, Cuse, Rutgers, Temple, etc. Pitt and Syracuse simply ran to the ACC when they had the chance to do so, and I can't blame them. I believe WVU would have also taken that path, had it not been blockaded.

Joe Paterno tried to form an all-sports conference comprised of some of the major eastern schools, most of which were playing football as independents. He reportedly failed to do so because of an unwillingness of Boston College and Syracuse to leave a still young Big East basketball conference. As a backup, Penn State applied for membership to the Big East in '81, only to be rejected by one vote allegedly due to a coalition of basketball-only schools. With his dream fading, Paterno directed Penn State into the Eastern 8, a non-football conference that would later become the Atlantic-10, with fellow football independents West Virginia, Rutgers and Temple. Then less than a decade later in '89, Penn State shocked everyone by joining the Big 10 for all-sports...a decision that triggered the first big round of conference expansion.

Ever since then, one of the biggest "What If's" has been...What if JoPa had been successful? What if he would have achieved his vision of an Eastern all-sports conference?

The common thought is that there would have been a need for at least eight teams to start the conference and all of those would have needed to be independent in football at the time. This could have given a lineup of:

Penn State(Ind.)
Boston College (from Big East basketball)
Syracuse (from Big East basketball)
Pittsburgh (Independent..didn't join the Big East until '82)
West Virginia (Ind.)
Rutgers (Ind.)
Temple (Ind.)
Notre Dame?

Notre Dame is truly an eastern school and at the time, the Irish were in the exact situation as Penn State..an independent for football and basketball. Many have felt that the allure of being a founding member of an eastern all-sports conference could have been the exact scenario they were looking for in order to put down roots. This was before the big NBC football contract for Notre Dame football, so that wouldn't have been something that would have held them back, either.

With those eight schools in the fold, there would have been many other possibilities that could have come about including a second level of expansion that could have poached four more football-independent programs from the Metro Conference:

Florida State
Louisville
Virginia Tech
South Carolina

Followed by a swap of Temple for Miami, once Miami regained a basketball program in '85. The drop of Temple mirrors their removal from the Big East Football Conference in the real world.

Theoretically, this could have left us in a scenario where the 90's could have seen a 12 team conference of:

Eastern-12 - North
Boston College
Notre Dame
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse

Eastern-12 - South
Florida State
Louisville
Miami
South Carolina
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

What kind of ripple effect would this conference have had on the rest of expansion?

Reactions: JWG66
Joe Paterno tried to form an all-sports conference comprised of some of the major eastern schools, most of which were playing football as independents. He reportedly failed to do so because of an unwillingness of Boston College and Syracuse to leave a still young Big East basketball conference. As a backup, Penn State applied for membership to the Big East in '81, only to be rejected by one vote allegedly due to a coalition of basketball-only schools. With his dream fading, Paterno directed Penn State into the Eastern 8, a non-football conference that would later become the Atlantic-10, with fellow football independents West Virginia, Rutgers and Temple. Then less than a decade later in '89, Penn State shocked everyone by joining the Big 10 for all-sports...a decision that triggered the first big round of conference expansion.

Ever since then, one of the biggest "What If's" has been...What if JoPa had been successful? What if he would have achieved his vision of an Eastern all-sports conference?

The common thought is that there would have been a need for at least eight teams to start the conference and all of those would have needed to be independent in football at the time. This could have given a lineup of:

Penn State(Ind.)
West Virginia (Ind.)
Rutgers (Ind.)
Temple (Ind.)
Notre Dame?

Notre Dame is truly an eastern school and at the time, the Irish were in the exact situation as Penn State..an independent for football and basketball. Many have felt that the allure of being a founding member of an eastern all-sports conference could have been the exact scenario they were looking for in order to put down roots. This was before the big NBC football contract for Notre Dame football, so that wouldn't have been something that would have held them back, either.

With those eight schools in the fold, there would have been many other possibilities that could have come about including a second level of expansion that could have poached four more football-independent programs from the Metro Conference:

Florida State
Louisville
Virginia Tech
South Carolina

Followed by a swap of Temple for Miami, once Miami regained a basketball program in '85. The drop of Temple mirrors their removal from the Big East Football Conference in the real world.

Theoretically, this could have left us in a scenario where the 90's could have seen a 12 team conference of:

Eastern-12 - North
Boston College
Notre Dame
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse

Eastern-12 - South
Florida State
Louisville
Miami
South Carolina
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

What kind of ripple effect would this conference have had on the rest of expansion?

I heard that Pitt voted no as well was back in the Marino & Dorset days and did not want to share its bowl money....

Penn State(Ind.)
West Virginia (Ind.)
Rutgers (Ind.)
Temple (Ind.)
Notre Dame?

Florida State
Louisville
Virginia Tech
South Carolina

Eastern-12 - North
Boston College
Notre Dame
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse

Eastern-12 - South
Florida State
Louisville
Miami
South Carolina
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

I actually grew old, thinking that Paterno was against forming a conference. Had we had the 'net back in the 80's, or had I not been wasted most of the time, likely I would have known better. You'll probably need to remind me of this a couple of months from now, once I forget it.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Hey I like Syracuse your coach is a class act and has built you guys up. Fun to watch

TYVM. Just wanted to point out a couple of things That is a PSU rag and of course they're trying to make JoePa look like some kind of saint.A couple of things they left out were that he wanted an all sports conference where we shared profits in all sports EXCEPT FB,On top of that he wanted 2 for 1s from everyone in FB.Of course SU and everyone else on that list turned him down.Name one conference that ever existed where a program got 2 for 1s from the rest of the conference AND got to keep all of the money.

I heard that Pitt voted no as well was back in the Marino & Dorset days and did not want to share its bowl money....

They voted no because they wanted to stay in Big East basketball only conference. Had they known now what they didn't know then. Perhaps it changes their minds. It's all hindsight now. But sure would have made a difference on conference expansion. It may very well have made ACC a little shaky.

Fan Fiction....

At least do some research.
ND will only join a conference if USC was involved.
Reason why they won't join the ACC and didn't join the BE.

ND's most important rival is USC and then Navy.

If you put ND in a conference without USC they will have issues with OOC games.

ND wants to play in California on Thanksgiving.
They play USC or Stanford and host the other in October.

They voted no because they wanted to stay in Big East basketball only conference. Had they known now what they didn't know then. Perhaps it changes their minds. It's all hindsight now. But sure would have made a difference on conference expansion. It may very well have made ACC a little shaky.

Well, the Big East BB was great for their small sports and FB was raking in big $$, they just could not imagine PennState planning for their future post Joe Pa. in short, they were greedy.

With a schools TV rights locked to the conference for many years, it is hard to imagine forming anything near to what you laid out. When the conferences were looking to stabilize, that was the item they invoked to put a school’s private parts in the vice. Have not seen much migration since.

That PSU is full of shit! Paterno did want an all-eastern conference but by design gave PSU such an financial and control of power to this that no one with a brain would have joined. Paterno and PSU are all about themselves and don't think they didn't. They didn't get there way so the old man held a grudge for many years until he died.

That PSU is full of shit! Paterno did want an all-eastern conference but by design gave PSU such an financial and control of power to this that no one with a brain would have joined. Paterno and PSU are all about themselves and don't think they didn't. They didn't get there way so the old man held a grudge for many years until he died.

Truthfully this ultimately screwed Pitt.
Don't you think..

Pitt has been dogshit since they told Penn St no.
I think you can say Pitt as a fanbase and as a university has a very different view of reality than the world.

Truthfully this ultimately screwed Pitt.
Don't you think..

Pitt has been dogshit since they told Penn St no.
I think you can say Pitt as a fanbase and as a university has a very different view of reality than the world.

We have fared better than Pitt imho. At least our fans still come to the games at least till half time. And our brand is valued.

Reactions: spoog19050

Seriously using a Cult newspaper that worships the enabler Paterno as a reference?!

The fact is that when Paterno wanted to start the conference, he did NOT want to share football revenue equally across the conference, but DID want to share bball revenue.

Where were those historical facts in this garbage link? Oh wait they don't show their ever loving g-d Paterno in a good light so they aren't mentioned.

Guess which sport didn't bring in any money to Pedo State.

And we saw how not evenly distributing football money drove the Big 12 to almost break up when 4 teams bolted

ADVERTISEMENT