ADVERTISEMENT

I said before the season started

steeleer

All-Conference
Sep 19, 2005
and at least 2 times since. One way or another that he would be riding to a better payday after a great season or he would get canned.

I think even if we lose to OK, someone will write him a big check. His son is going to college next year and his buyout drops precipitously starting after this season. I don’t think that’s accidental.

and at least 2 times since. One way or another that he would be riding to a better payday after a great season or he would get canned.

I think even if we lose to OK, someone will write him a big check. His son is going to college next year and his buyout drops precipitously starting after this season. I don’t think that’s accidental.
I would agree with you if the right jobs open but right now it's not looking like many quality jobs are going to be available. Look for WVU to rework his contract soon.

Reactions: eerdoc
Like I said you can do a lot worse than him.
If you want to do better then you will have to go through a complete rebuild
Not buying that. There's nothing to rebuild. This is an extremely solid program that can continue to win with a good coach and a great coach could squeeze in another win per season on average.

Not buying that. There's nothing to rebuild. This is an extremely solid program that can continue to win with a good coach and a great coach could squeeze in another win per season on average.

Unless you bring in someone similar to how DH plays.
Dana recruits his players not all coaches are similar.
The majority are not.
Especially on D.

Unless you bring in someone similar to how DH plays.
Dana recruits his players not all coaches are similar.
The majority are not.
Especially on D.

We hired Dana without his players and won the Big East and curb stomped Clemson 70-33.

Reactions: xgunnx
I agree with Vernon. Dana is a great coordinator, but we can do better at HC. We just have to get better defensively. I’m not hating on Gibby, but I don’t think Saban would be successful as Dana’s DC. Somebody intense, like RR in his prime, somebody with a hard edge to him could average another win a year.

That means 11 wins once every 4 years instead of Dana’s 10 wins every 4 years. I want to be top 20 every year but that’s a bit above what wvu can realistically do. But there’s no reason we can’t win 11 once every 5 years (and win 8 in our down years).

You are not in the Big East anymore.

Half the teams recruit at the same level or at a much higher level than WV.
Clemson wasn’t in the Big East. Neither was Oklahoma, or Georgia.

And before you say, “That was just one week” , show me where Dana has taken his own recruits and blown out an Oklahoma, demolished a Clemson, or just plain old beat an SEC champ just one time in a bowl game or even in a regular season game. And don’t point to a halfway thru the season overrated Baylor team that didn’t finish in the top 10!)

Reactions: RAK
I agree with Vernon. Dana is a great coordinator, but we can do better at HC. We just have to get better defensively. I’m not hating on Gibby, but I don’t think Saban would be successful as Dana’s DC. Somebody intense, like RR in his prime, somebody with a hard edge to him could average another win a year.

That means 11 wins once every 4 years instead of Dana’s 10 wins every 4 years. I want to be top 20 every year but that’s a bit above what wvu can realistically do. But there’s no reason we can’t win 11 once every 5 years (and win 8 in our down years).

That's 3 yes's

Reactions: WVU80ate
Oklahoma State needed a win just as much as WV today.

Mike Gundy did not want to go to Fort Worth next week with bowl eligibility on the line.

You may not think some minor bowl game is important.

But it means extra practices that you don't get if you don't play in a bowl.

With 18-21 year old kids those extra practices mean a lot.
Especially for two straight weeks.

He's playing a horrible TCU team. I think they handle that one.

Seriously, why would anybody hire the guy?

What has he ever won?

The highlights for his resume is he coached underachieving teams, oversaw annual late-season collapses, puts together teams with defenses that play two-hand touch football. ... and has never put together a team that has won anything. You should be able to find coaches like Mr. Mediocre at the local Wal-Mart instead of having to open the checkbook to get one.

Seriously, why would anybody hire the guy?

What has he ever won?

The highlights for his resume is he coached underachieving teams, oversaw annual late-season collapses, puts together teams with defenses that play two-hand touch football. ... and has never put together a team that has won anything. You should be able to find coaches like Mr. Mediocre at the local Wal-Mart instead of having to open the checkbook to get one.

He would get a program excited that needs a change. Florida State might be an option. Dana with that talent could do some damage in an awful ACC.

How is WV underachieving?

WV is routinely 4th-6th in Big XII in recruiting.

WV has had only one year they finished under their recruiting ranking

Plus he has had one 10 win season and most likely have another one this year.

It is not rocket science.
WV needs better players not new coaches

Reactions: Wvu21795
How is WV underachieving?

WV is routinely 4th-6th in Big XII in recruiting.

WV has had only one year they finished under their recruiting ranking

Plus he has had one 10 win season and most likely have another one this year.

It is not rocket science.
WV needs better players not new coaches

Iowa State has recruited toward the bottom of the conference forever. Campbell comes in and suddenly they are waaaaay better.

Iowa State has recruited toward the bottom of the conference forever. Campbell comes in and suddenly they are waaaaay better.

But they still obviously have a talent disadvantage against Texas.
Even with that ISU and Matt Campbell have been moving up the recruiting rankings.
They should have a Top 4 class this year in the Big XII and possibly a Top 3 class in 2020.

But they still obviously have a talent disadvantage against Texas.
Even with that ISU and Matt Campbell have been moving up the recruiting rankings.
They should have a Top 4 class this year in the Big XII and possibly a Top 3 class in 2020.

It’s amazing what bringing in a better coach will do.

It’s amazing what bringing in a better coach will do.

I agree with you about Dana as a recruiter.
I think he relies on transfers way too much but he has a better understanding of the limitations of WV.

I think he limits himself by claiming WV cannot recruit the top 300 recruits.
Maybe I am wrong here and the recruits just don't pay attention.

Whatever it is WV needs to get better players into the program.

If that means a coaching change then so be it.
But....truthfully like I have said coaches don't get recruits programs get recruits.
Programs are built by the fans, boosters and people involved with WV.

Like I said. Don't care if he goes don't care if he stays. I'm 100% WVU fan. Not a Texas fan posting on a Mountaineer board.

LOL...he must be lonely, or not enough friends on the Texass boards. Still after getting beatdown continues to spew his bullshit on here and how great his team is...blah, blah, blah

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Here is a simple fact:

This year's team was the BEST that Dana has ever had here. Talent on both sides of the ball beyond what he's EVER had here (overall). Solid kicking game and special teams, too. And what does that get us? Right where we are again.....losing to a 5-5 team that was near 100th in total defense. Everyone is going on about Gibson's defense, but OK State has offensive weapons and were ranked among the best offenses in the nation. But how come our offense couldn't get more than 10 points in the 2nd half against their defense? This loss falls solely on head coach and OC.

Dana has helped develop depth like we’ve never had here, but we need a change to mold it into a team built to win champions. I think our issues (except at LB due to injuries) aren’t at a talent level, it’s a mindset issue.

RRod was an asshat, and he got out coached more than once, but no one out efforted his teams. That attitude was also a byproduct of guys like Barwis and Trickett. You can question their personalities, but not their products. When they left, that attitude left with them....especially with Trickett.

I would agree with you if the right jobs open but right now it's not looking like many quality jobs are going to be available. Look for WVU to rework his contract soon.
Reworking his contract ? Do's that mean he gets paid by the win rather than by the season? Asking for a disgruntled fan...

Dana's agent is throwing his client's name in every major job opening.
The UNC rumors and now the CU rumors.

Meaning that Dana will be asking for more money.
Only opening I see that can open the bank is Maryland but the Terps have been quiet so far except for with Mel Tucker and Alabama's OC.
I think Maryland goes the cheap route.

Dana's agent is throwing his client's name in every major job opening.
The UNC rumors and now the CU rumors.

Meaning that Dana will be asking for more money.
Only opening I see that can open the bank is Maryland but the Terps have been quiet so far except for with Mel Tucker and Alabama's OC.
I think Maryland goes the cheap route.

With B10 money, they don’t have to.

Reworking his contract ? Do's that mean he gets paid by the win rather than by the season? Asking for a disgruntled fan...

A fair contract would remove the buyout (both sides) and raise his salary to 4 mil. Essentially you eat what you kill.

A fair contract would remove the buyout (both sides) and raise his salary to 4 mil. Essentially you eat what you kill.

There is no way Dana or his agent will agree to a contract without a buyout.

Doesn't matter how much WV gives him a year.
All coaches want that security.

There is no way Dana or his agent will agree to a contract without a buyout.

Doesn't matter how much WV gives him a year.
All coaches want that security.

He doesn’t have to take it. If he doesn’t have a better option (the only reason he would stay) then we control the narrative.

Why get rid of Dana because of the buyout when his replacement will ask for one as well.
Your throwing away a known for an unknown.
No coach worth a damn will sign a contract without a buyout.
Especially at a place where expectations are higher than reality.

Reactions: ChattanoogaEER
How many wins has Texas high profile recruits won in the last 7 years?

48-39

6.8 - 5.5

So much for top recruits.

Texas has been dropping since they lost that title game to Alabama.

How many wins has Texas high profile recruits won in the last 7 years?

48-39

6.8 - 5.5

So much for top recruits.

Texas has been dropping since they lost that title game to Alabama.

Such an arbitrary time period....

VY who is considered the top QB and offensive recruit of all time with a perfect 1.0000 according to the composite finished his career on a 20+ game winning streak.

Recruits do matter.
Just as much as coaching and development.

But getting the right recruits.
Not all Top 300 recruits produce.

Best example of this is who Texas had considered the number 2 WR

Justin Watkins was considered #1.
He unfortunately may never play CFB

#2 was Rondale Moore.

Tom Herman and his staff are not just good recruiters but they are great evaluators.

Who is the best WV guy in the coaching ranks that is HC material possibly? Maybe even a WVU guy that played for WVU and is from WV. WVU guys and state natives only? That’s what I prefer.

Who is the best WV guy in the coaching ranks that is HC material possibly? Maybe even a WVU guy that played for WVU and is from WV. WVU guys and state natives only? That’s what I prefer.

I didn’t see that coming.

In other words, I completely and totally saw that coming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT