ADVERTISEMENT

I need a new grill.

Muskets

All-Conference
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I've got a charcoal grill. I've got a smoker. I even have a grate that I put over some rocks and cook over a fire. I've planked fish and put a pig in the ground.

I understand that a gas grill is just cooking outside and, from a culinary perspective, nothing special. However, sometimes you just need a gas grill.

Cast Iron grate? stainless grate? Lava Rocks? (do they even put those in anymore?).

I believe the big box stores will have them on sale soon.

Who has one they like?

I've got a charcoal grill. I've got a smoker. I even have a grate that I put over some rocks and cook over a fire. I've planked fish and put a pig in the ground.

I understand that a gas grill is just cooking outside and, from a culinary perspective, nothing special. However, sometimes you just need a gas grill.

Cast Iron grate? stainless grate? Lava Rocks? (do they even put those in anymore?).

I believe the big box stores will have them on sale soon.

Who has one they like?
Buy a Weber. They make the best. You can now get
for just under $500. Home depot. It is the Mercedes,
but will not fall apart like most others.

My Webber is now 12 years old stored outside in the elements with a cover. I have replaced several parts but at the present time it is near new. The new weber's don't seem to be as sturdy as mine but are still nice. I would buy a Weber and not think twice about it.

I also put my vote in for a Weber. Don't consider anything else.

whatever you get to cook on, get yourself some Grill Grates to use instead of what comes with the grill. They are awesome. check out the website. Can't imagine grilling without them now that i've used them for the past two years.

http://www.grillgrate.com

With my old (approaching 15 years) Weber Genesis literally falling apart due to weathering and general mistreatment.....and with as much of the current porcelain steel Flavorizer Bars corroded away as in tact.....I reluctantly pulled the trigger on my own new grill. I say reluctantly because in spite of the grill's awful overall condition, it's never taken more than two presses of the ignition switch to light all three burners. I also wanted to wait until I rebuilt my deck to buy; but that's taking longer than I expected.

Anyway, I was kicking around a couple other brands this time; Napoleon, Broil King, and Kitchen Aid in addition to Weber. From what I can tell, Napoleon is a pretty good brand; but even their lowest end (all SS) product was north of $800.....and seemed to have a far smaller cooking surface than the Weber Genesis. I was looking for some cost savings on a Broil King; but they didn't come across to me as much lower in cost than Weber (plus, Lowe's didn't have much inventory left). As for Kitchen Aid, their quality (and features) in appliances didn't seem to cross over to grills in any manner aside SS construction.

Making things interesting was Weber's after-Labor-Day $100 price reduction. It's no secret Weber doesn't discount their product at retail any other time of year......and they didn't even appear to be any better priced online for unassembled units than they were locally at retail (and fully assembled). Clinching the deal for me was the Ace Hardware-exclusive Special Edition Genesis configuration which (versus other local retail outlets) adds SS grates/Flavorizer Bars at a cheap $50 premium. So with the discount, I grabbed a Genesis EP-310 (no side burner) in the Copper painted finish for $649.99 + free delivery.

With that in mind, I'm curious if anyone owns a new (or comparatively new) Genesis......meaning, one with the front-mounted controls and the front-to-back burners (rather than the older models with burner tubes running side to side). If so, what do you think ??

I still own an older model but am almost ready to buy a new Weber. Probably in the spring as ol reliable is stlll able to produce. I have used a model with the front to back burners and prefer them greatly. Much eaiser to set up different cooking zones on the grill and with a larger area where the temp is consistent which is my number 1 factor. Being right handed, I make the left side my hot side as I will come in from the right to handle whatever I am cooking and don't have to put my arm over the extreme heat. Very key.

Front mounted controls are a non factor to me.

I still own an older model but am almost ready to buy a new Weber. Probably in the spring as ol reliable is stlll able to produce. I have used a model with the front to back burners and prefer them greatly. Much eaiser to set up different cooking zones on the grill and with a larger area where the temp is consistent which is my number 1 factor. Being right handed, I make the left side my hot side as I will come in from the right to handle whatever I am cooking and don't have to put my arm over the extreme heat. Very key.

Front mounted controls are a non factor to me.

I was thinking the new burner configuration might indeed make for an easier setup of hotter and more temperate cooking zones on the left and right, rather than the front and back (which never seemed very instinctive to yours truly, who's no better than a journeyman with tongs and a flipper in my hand).

I'm admittedly used to Weber's old convention of side tray-mounted burner controls, but I can't imagine that's something which will be of ANY issue once I begin firing up the new grill next Spring (I'm finishing out the 2016 grilling season with my old Genesis while it's still lighting, and will pull the new EP-310 out of the garage next Spring).

As for using the LEFT side (as a right-hander) for the hot zone, that's something I hadn't even considered and which makes a lot of sense....THANKS FOR THAT AHEAD-OF-TIME TIP !!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT