ADVERTISEMENT

I know a MU fan who will be in Austin Saturday afternoon

Tonycried2

All-Conference
Jun 25, 2008
rooting for the misguided and delusional Cousins from Morgantown! Never been to Austin but hear it's a cool place. I'll be at the Marriott Courtyard downtown, first guy that walks into the bar and yells " Go Herd" will be rewarded with a libation of his/her choice!

Reactions: Marine03
Best city in the country.

Franklin's is atop many lists as the best BBQ spot in the country. There is another Austin location that has topped a national list and another top 10 national BBQ spot in a small town about thirty minutes away.

"Dirty Sixth" refers to East Sixth Street. On Friday and Saturday nights, it is closed to vehicular traffic. It is full of bars, restaurants, music venues, and tattoo parlors. It will seem like there is a live band/musician at every door. All ages frequent Dirty Sixth, though it will have a lot more 20s-30s age range. It isn't too unusual to see Bill Murray or Matthew McConaughey walking around sloshed there. West Sixth Street is also great to walk, though it is a lot more laid-back and has more of an adult clientele.

The "bat bridge" (Congress Bridge) over Lake Austin is home to 1.5 million bats. Each evening, it gets crowded with people above it and on the water below it watching the bats fly out. There is a good running/biking/walking trail that encircles Lake Austin and crosses it on a pedestrian bridge. It provides good views of the city and the water.

UT has greatly improved their pre-game experience this year with a bunch of new things around the stadium.

Best city in the country.

Franklin's is atop many lists as the best BBQ spot in the country. There is another Austin location that has topped a national list and another top 10 national BBQ spot in a small town about thirty minutes away.

"Dirty Sixth" refers to East Sixth Street. On Friday and Saturday nights, it is closed to vehicular traffic. It is full of bars, restaurants, music venues, and tattoo parlors. It will seem like there is a live band/musician at every door. All ages frequent Dirty Sixth, though it will have a lot more 20s-30s age range. It isn't too unusual to see Bill Murray or Matthew McConaughey walking around sloshed there. West Sixth Street is also great to walk, though it is a lot more laid-back and has more of an adult clientele.

The "bat bridge" (Congress Bridge) over Lake Austin is home to 1.5 million bats. Each evening, it gets crowded with people above it and on the water below it watching the bats fly out. There is a good running/biking/walking trail that encircles Lake Austin and crosses it on a pedestrian bridge. It provides good views of the city and the water.

UT has greatly improved their pre-game experience this year with a bunch of new things around the stadium.
Thanks for the tips...heard a lot about the live music scene in Austin! Going t o a place called Eddie V's Friday night but BBQ at Franklin's sounds good after the game.

I’m headed to the Big House with my nephew and son, first time there as well.

Not thrilled that the WVU game is at the same time but should be fun.

Austin is a good time.

I’m headed to the Big House with my nephew and son, first time there as well.

Not thrilled that the WVU game is at the same time but should be fun.

Austin is a good time.
Thanks for your support of Michigan Football. Should be a good game. If you have any questions, or tips on where to go, where to park, ask.

Thanks for your support of Michigan Football. Should be a good game. If you have any questions, or tips on where to go, where to park, ask.

My nephew is from Ann Arbor and just moved back with his wife/baby.

I’ll wear mt WVU hat as it will most likely blend in with the UM colors.

I enjoy college football and checking out different campuses and stadiums.

Thanks for the tips...heard a lot about the live music scene in Austin! Going t o a place called Eddie V's Friday night but BBQ at Franklin's sounds good after the game.

No chance of getting Franklin's. Their official hours each day are 11 am - 3 pm, but they usually close between 1 pm - 2 pm, because they run out of food.

Plus, in order to get food there, you have to get in line by around 8 am. Hours before they even open, a line forms in the parking lot. People treat it like a college tailgating experience with chairs, coolers, umbrellas, etc.

Reactions: JCT1 and Stone_Cold
No chance of getting Franklin's. Their official hours each day are 11 am - 3 pm, but they usually close between 1 pm - 2 pm, because they run out of food.

Plus, in order to get food there, you have to get in line by around 8 am. Hours before they even open, a line forms in the parking lot. People treat it like a college tailgating experience with chairs, coolers, umbrellas, etc.
I'm actually fixing a brisket today following his process

I'm actually fixing a brisket today following his process

Let me know how it turns out. I don't have the patience to make food for myself.

The guy won the James Beard Best Chef Award for the southwest. It is unheard of for a pit master to win such an award. That award almost always goes to chefs from some of the top restaurants in the country. Pit masters, in terms of chefs, are looked down upon as the lowest caste. Nobody considers a pit master a chef, yet he still won a top award because of how good he is.

And the best part is that he is self-taught.

rooting for the misguided and delusional Cousins from Morgantown! Never been to Austin but hear it's a cool place. I'll be at the Marriott Courtyard downtown, first guy that walks into the bar and yells " Go Herd" will be rewarded with a libation of his/her choice!
david-sills-hors-down.jpg

Let me know how it turns out. I don't have the patience to make food for myself.

The guy won the James Beard Best Chef Award for the southwest. It is unheard of for a pit master to win such an award. That award almost always goes to chefs from some of the top restaurants in the country. Pit masters, in terms of chefs, are looked down upon as the lowest caste. Nobody considers a pit master a chef, yet he still won a top award because of how good he is.

And the best part is that he is self-taught.
Turned out great. Was a prime grade full packer that started about 13.5 lbs before I trimmed off some fat. Wrapped it in pink butcher paper at 165 degrees and took it off at 202 internal. Took about 11 hours with 1 hour resting. Best brisket yet.

Ran the smoker the entire time at a temp of 250 with some hickory and cherry smoke. Franklin usually uses oak but I was out of oak

Reactions: Y.A.G Si Ye Nots
ADVERTISEMENT