ADVERTISEMENT

I’m struggling to figure something out

EERs 3:16

Heisman Winner
Oct 17, 2001
Should a HOF type coach struggle w/ recruiting or should his reputation alone help to bring top notch kids to the program?

Should a HOF type coach struggle w/ recruiting or should his reputation alone help to bring top notch kids to the program?

Not all HOF coaches have the same skill set. Unlike say Cal, Huggins is not HOF by getting NBA caliber players on the roster. He is actually a better coach in that he takes athletes that have no business being on the floor with the athletes of these blue blood schools and gives them a chance. Doesn't happen overnight and does require growing pains.

Not all HOF coaches have the same skill set. Unlike say Cal, Huggins is not HOF by getting NBA caliber players on the roster. He is actually a better coach in that he takes athletes that have no business being on the floor with the athletes of these blue blood schools and gives them a chance. Doesn't happen overnight and does require growing pains.
I guess Duke’s model of taking top talent just isn’t as exciting? After all having one of the best programs in the nation for the past 30 years must get boring after a while.

I guess Duke’s model of taking top talent just isn’t as exciting? After all having one of the best programs in the nation for the past 30 years must get boring after a while.

Your sarcasm is misplaced. You asked if a HOF coach is enough to get blue chip players to come as a way of saying that if Huggins is a HOF coach his recruiting doesn't reflect that. The answer is, being a HOF coach does not make you a good recruiter and nor become the only influence on perception of the program/location. Bobby Knight is a HOF coach, but his latter career was not littered with great athletes. The Duke model this year is how everyone would like to do it, but only a few can. Huggins is a HOF coach for having a boat load of wins while only coaching a handful of athletes across his career that were as athletic as the beat player from each year most of the other 800+ win coaches had.

My question would be, How many blue chip players are willing to put in the effort to play in a certain HOF coach's system?

You are stupid. How was his recruiting at Cincy? Yeah, STFU. If you don't think the location of the college has anything to do with recruiting, then you are simply the dumbest individual on the board.......oh, well you have already established that.......

Reactions: WVUALLEN
My question would be, How many blue chip players are willing to put in the effort to play in a certain HOF coach's system?

This and the location of WVU in that order, because that puts out NBA players as well.

They want all the amenities and to not over-exert on defense. That’s why Golden State is so dominant...you can only beat them (usually) by being all in on defense and defense is hard.

Huggs makes men at WVU and most elite 18 year olds feel like they are above that process.

You are stupid. How was his recruiting at Cincy? Yeah, STFU. If you don't think the location of the college has anything to do with recruiting, then you are simply the dumbest individual on the board.......oh, well you have already established that.......

Okay Francis, take a deep breath, inhale, exhale, and inhale again. You obviously have issues that go far beyond this post and would suggest that you get some professional help.

This and the location of WVU in that order, because that puts out NBA players as well.

They want all the amenities and to not over-exert on defense. That’s why Golden State is so dominant...you can only beat them (usually) by being all in on defense and defense is hard.

Huggs makes men at WVU and most elite 18 year olds feel like they are above that process.
How many years in a row has Huggins told us that he’s under recruited or has done a poor job of it? Those aren’t my words, they’re his. For once I’d like to be the team that’s full of blue chippers that’s living up to it’s potential instead of a bunch of under achievers playing above their recruiting status. I know haven’t a bunch of blue chippers playing up to their potential isn’t a sexy story, but, at some point sexy is overrated.

You telling me they don’t put out effort in KU, KY, Duke, or N Carolina?
Have no idea how much effort the other schools expect, have never watched a practice. It is common for athletes to be coddled but Ive heard that Huggins is a hard taskmaster. Just wondering how many of these coddled individuals would fit in with Huggins....and yes I have seen that his players(mostly) seem to love him...

How many years in a row has Huggins told us that he’s under recruited or has done a poor job of it? Those aren’t my words, they’re his. For once I’d like to be the team that’s full of blue chippers that’s living up to it’s potential instead of a bunch of under achievers playing above their recruiting status. I know haven’t a bunch of blue chippers playing up to their potential isn’t a sexy story, but, at some point sexy is overrated.

WVU will never ever have a team full of blue chippers. Nobody who coaches here will have blue chippers that you want. A good coach is someone that can actually coach. Huggins is that guy. You want blue chippers. Go watch UK and see if the coach ever does anything besides get up and drink a water.

OK.............I must confer with the wizard (Jumping Jack Flash below) to get you an answer to this question. More later. Warez[banana][banana]

You want blue chips go cheer for UK, Duke, UNC or KU. We don't need your kind here. By the way WVU is unbeaten vs UNC and Huggins has a winning record against your boy John Calipari.

You want blue chips go cheer for UK, Duke, UNC or KU. We don't need your kind here. By the way WVU is unbeaten vs UNC and Huggins has a winning record against your boy John Calipari.
Any criticism of the hoops team and you take it personal and get overly sensitive....why is ithat?

Any criticism of the hoops team and you take it personal and get overly sensitive....why is ithat?

Don't see the criticism. Go cheer for those teams if you love them. Not criticism just fact.

Are you interested in recruit rankings or actual results? WVU is currently in a run that hasn't been experienced since the 50s.

That's something I can figure out with no struggling.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Once again a grade school reaction. Grow up.
Okay, why do you always have a grade school reaction every time Huggins is compared to anohter HOF coach that has achieved more success than Huggins has? Why do you always take any criticism of the hoops progrma so personal? Is Huggins beyond reproach? Should we not expect a winning program or at least one that can get above .600 in conference play?

Okay, why do you always have a grade school reaction every time Huggins is compared to anohter HOF coach that has achieved more success than Huggins has? Why do you always take any criticism of the hoops progrma so personal? Is Huggins beyond reproach? Should we not expect a winning program or at least one that can get above .600 in conference play?

We have a winning program we have a future hall of fame coach and we are not KU, UK, Duke or UNC. There is no coach that will come in here and get 6 to 7 five star recruits. Look at many of fans favorite coach JB. How did he do here? Not better than Huggins. Bob Huggins will be hall of fame. Who do you think will come to WVU when Huggs retires in about 5 years or less? Will that person stay here 20 years? Will that coach win 26 games every year? Will that coach win a title? Will that coach be a national top 25 team? Why do you think it's expected? Why do you attack the WVU coaches? Those coaches live and die for the school. I do as well and so should the fans. It's not our job to hire and fire. If the program begins to turn bad I know Huggins will step down. My expectation are cheer for my team and leave the criticism to those who think they know what they're talking about.

Not mention how many teams in the Big 12 go above .600 every year besides Kansas? No team in the conference can get the shoe money to illegally recruit like Bill Self does.

Take a spelling class before trying to off on me.I bleed Blue-N-Gold. I suspect you don't. I bet you have not been here long enough to know WVU basketball before 2000.

Are you interested in recruit rankings or actual results? WVU is currently in a run that hasn't been experienced since the 50s.

That's something I can figure out with no struggling.

Good answer. So watch out for the.. "Any criticism of the hoops team and you take it personal and get overly sensitive....why is ithat?" response.

We have a winning program we have a future hall of fame coach and we are not KU, UK, Duke or UNC. There is no coach that will come in here and get 6 to 7 five star recruits. Look at many of fans favorite coach JB. How did he do here? Not better than Huggins. Bob Huggins will be hall of fame. Who do you think will come to WVU when Huggs retires in about 5 years or less? Will that person stay here 20 years? Will that coach win 26 games every year? Will that coach win a title? Will that coach be a national top 25 team? Why do you think it's expected? Why do you attack the WVU coaches? Those coaches live and die for the school. I do as well and so should the fans. It's not our job to hire and fire. If the program begins to turn bad I know Huggins will step down. My expectation are cheer for my team and leave the criticism to those who think they know what they're talking about.

Not mention how many teams in the Big 12 go above .600 every year besides Kansas? No team in the conference can get the shoe money to illegally recruit like Bill Self does.

Take a spelling class before trying to off on me.I bleed Blue-N-Gold. I suspect you don't. I bet you have not been here long enough to know WVU basketball before 2000.

Overly emotional drivel.

Says the guy that is complaining about people being defensive and not accepting criticism.

ADVERTISEMENT