ADVERTISEMENT

I’m hearing Will Grier skipping bowl game

WVUDisciples

All-Conference
Dec 28, 2002
Can’t say I blame him (if it’s true).

This season is more disappointing than the 4-8 year. Per Dana’s admission, Most talented team he’s had here and the best he can do is 4th in Big 12.

Thought he’d said something about “representing” WVU always awhile back? Oh well.

Don’t blame him. He’s been rolled up on 2 of the last 4 games and it’s created a perception that he’s a lot slower than he actually is. So in a way the damage is already done. As long as Sills and Jennings are playing Allison will be fine. If anything an extra month of first team reps will greatly benefit Allison going into next season.

If Grier wants to play, it's his job that he earned. If he doesn't, I wouldn't hold it against him since it's a meaningless bowl. It would have the advantage of allowing Allison to get meaningful practice and reps. I'm all for using these meaningless bowls to get more practice and development for the guys coming back next year so that perhaps the next bowl game won't be meaningless. Although that's unlikely given how much we lose to attrition this year.

If Grier wants to play, it's his job that he earned. If he doesn't, I wouldn't hold it against him since it's a meaningless bowl. It would have the advantage of allowing Allison to get meaningful practice and reps. I'm all for using these meaningless bowls to get more practice and development for the guys coming back next year so that perhaps the next bowl game won't be meaningless. Although that's unlikely given how much we lose to attrition this year.
Bowls aren't meaningless to teams that take them seriously and do well in them (i.e. not WVU). It's called having school pride.

"Anywhere, any time, any place (unless it's a crappy bowl)"
-WVU football motto

This season is more disappointing than the 4-8 year. Per Dana’s admission, Most talented team he’s had here and the best he can do is 4th in Big 12.

Perhaps you should toss blame to the defense. I mean anyone who can score 56 and still lose. hat blame goes to Gibson. Can him. Marshall will pick him up. They like WVU coaches. Makes them feel relevant.

What if we would have won against Oklahoma and beat Texas in the Big 12 championship? Should Grier have sat out the Sugar bowl because it's meaningless and he could get hurt?

Reactions: GoWVU
I hope that this is a rumor - this is a team and Will should be there - the Mountaineer
Football program gave him the place to play, launched a Heisman campaign
this just bullshit.

Reactions: lenny4wvu

Your funny.

Did you actually think WVU was going to win the Big 12? Did you start that Bandwagon when they took off to 5-0.

Myself I predicted 8-4 this is why I have no disappointment in this season. People always over inflate then feel crapped on.

Don't hype it to where you don't like it.

Your funny.

Did you actually think WVU was going to win the Big 12? Did you start that Bandwagon when they took off to 5-0.

Myself I predicted 8-4 this is why I have no disappointment in this season. People always over inflate then feel crapped on.

Don't hype it to where you don't like it.

But at the beginning of the season both OSU and TCU were projected as top 20 teams and KSU as a fringe top 25 team. All three fell drastically short of those expectations and while ISU was better than expected it's not nearly enough to compensate for how bad the other 3 were this year. If you predicted 8-4 knowing how bad the Big XII was going to be at the end of the year, then I'd say you have unreasonably low expectations for WVU football. Win either of the very winnable games against ISU or OSU and WVU is in the Big XII title game. Can you honestly look at the Big XII standings with the win/loss column along with the rankings and say that it was a successful season for this team? If so, we just have to agree to disagree.

Geno learned the hard way what it means not to be a team player going into the draft.

This trend of sitting out of "meaningless bowls" is a bad one. You're either a teammate... or not. You stand with your team, or you don't. I'd be extremely disappointed if they choose to sit out the bowl.

Bowls aren't meaningless to teams that take them seriously and do well in them (i.e. not WVU). It's called having school pride.

"Anywhere, any time, any place (unless it's a crappy bowl)"
-WVU football motto

Meaningless in the sense that its not considered a great honor to be invited and winning has little to no lasting effect on recruiting or the overall perception of the program. Hence, why I'd rather increase the risk of losing by having the players who will be on the roster next year get meaningful reps in an attempt to have a better season and bowl next year than to have those reps be taken by a player that will not return and is taking the field begrudgingly out of guilt or shame.

Meaningless in the sense that its not considered a great honor to be invited and winning has little to no lasting effect on recruiting or the overall perception of the program. Hence, why I'd rather increase the risk of losing by having the players who will be on the roster next year get meaningful reps in an attempt to have a better season and bowl next year than to have those reps be taken by a player that will not return and is taking the field begrudgingly out of guilt or shame.
If we had won against OU and beat UT and went to the Sugar Bowl, should Grier have sat out for that too, since it is a meaningless bowl and he could have gotten hurt?

Reactions: lenny4wvu and GoWVU
Then he has played a couple meaningless seasons. F.... these guys who don't finish.

The results may have been meaningless, but there was potential to win something big from the start. A December bowl against a 4th or worse power 5 school has no potential to win anything of great significance. If I were a coach that aspired to a better result than 4th place in the conference, I'd love any opportunity to get meaningful practice time and game experience for the players that would be back to try for a better season next year. That being said, any senior that wants to play has earned that right. But I would not be heartbroken to get quality work for next year's QB over having a senior with no impact on next season begrudgingly taking the field due to guilt or shame.

If we had won against OU and beat UT and went to the Sugar Bowl, should Grier have sat out for that too, since it is a meaningless bowl and he could have gotten hurt?

Winning the Big XII is not meaningless and being in a New Year's bowl as an "also ran" for the playoff is not meaningless. Those bowls and opponents do provide a chance for lasting effects on recruiting and perception of the program. No one outside of our fans really care that WVU won or lost any of the bowl games they've made since joining the Big XII.

Last edited:
Reactions: lenny4wvu
Winning the Big XII is not meaningless and being in a New Year's bowl as an "also ran" for the playoff is not meaningless. Those bowls and opponents do provide a chance for lasting effects on recruiting and perception of the program. No one outside of our fans really care that WVU won or lost any of the bowl games they've made.
It is meaningless with regards to Grier's pro career. And let's end the myth that WVU's bowl game or regular season record impacts recruiting to any worthwhile extent. There are basically no lasting effects from the Rodriguez 11 win era, the Orange Bowl beating of Clemson, or Tavon being drafted in the top 10. We are a 3 star recruit school with the occasional 4 or 5 star guy. Nothing more.

Does anyone know this for sure? All this bantering bullshtt because someone thought or heard something. Can we address something...anything on a factual basis.

^^^ False. The RichRod era brought in 5 star guys like Noel and Tavon who never would have come here if not for our big east success. The orange bowl win opened the eyes of receivers like (insert balitnakoff finalist here) who we would have never landed otherwise.

Has nothing to do with the bowl game....
The NYD bowl games last year had big time players sitting out.

Truthfully it is actually a good thing because players can get important snaps.

Just as long as the player makes it known early that he is not playing then WV can get 2 weeks of practice.

Pretty much a player getting to play before the spring game and gives the coaching staff an idea if he can start or not for next year.

Perfect for Jack Allison

It is meaningless with regards to Grier's pro career. And let's end the myth that WVU's bowl game or regular season record impacts recruiting to any worthwhile extent. There are basically no lasting effects from the Rodriguez 11 win era, the Orange Bowl beating of Clemson, or Tavon being drafted in the top 10. We are a 3 star recruit school with the occasional 4 or 5 star guy. Nothing more.

Basically you are saying all bowls are meaningless. So, why care at all if seniors never play in any bowls? Playing a good season and playing a quality opponent in a bowl at least has pride to play for. Being one of the 40+ games involving the teams outside the top 20 is a bug ho-hum.

Basically you are saying all bowls are meaningless. So, why care at all if seniors never play in any bowls? Playing a good season and playing a quality opponent in a bowl at least has pride to play for. Being one of the 40+ games involving the teams outside the top 20 is a bug ho-hum.
I am trying to understand why people are OK with Grier skipping this bowl game, but would not be OK with him skipping the Sugar Bowl game. Both games are technically "meaningless."

I am trying to understand why people are OK with Grier skipping this bowl game, but would not be OK with him skipping the Sugar Bowl game. Both games are technically "meaningless."

Would you agree that there is a line that separates some bowl games from others? If not, then bowls are either all meaningless or the SPAM bowl has the same prestige as the Sugar Bowl. If you agree there is a difference, then maybe we just differ on where that line is. I'd say it's an accomplishment to beat a Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Penn State, or even Washington State in a New Year's day bowl. I don't think playing a fellow 4th or lower conference finisher is something to take pride in. It's just like games in the regular season. Beating OU or Texas this year would be an accomplishment to crow about. Beating TCU or Oklahoma State isn't.

Would you agree that there is a line that separates some bowl games from others? If not, then bowls are either all meaningless or the SPAM bowl has the same prestige as the Sugar Bowl. If you agree there is a difference, then maybe we just differ on where that line is. I'd say it's an accomplishment to beat a Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Penn State, or even Washington State in a New Year's day bowl. I don't think playing a fellow 4th or lower conference finisher is something to take pride in. It's just like games in the regular season. Beating OU or Texas this year would be an accomplishment to crow about. Beating TCU or Oklahoma State isn't.

Not true

All bowl games all important because it gives a team two extra weeks of practices
This builds depth and gives younger players a chance to get better.

You will probably see WV use a lot of their freshmen that will play a big role next year.

Grier should play and be a team guy. All for himself if he doesn’t play. He won’t be very good in NFL either way. I see him being Geno 2.0

Also remember WVU was 10-2 before Grier took over. 10-2 with little Skyler. What’s that tell you. WVU football moves on. Next man up.

Perhaps you should toss blame to the defense. I mean anyone who can score 56 and still lose. hat blame goes to Gibson. Can him. Marshall will pick him up. They like WVU coaches. Makes them feel relevant.

Hey, 14 of the 59 came because the WVU offense handed the fumble to Oklahoma. Fair is fair. And 14 came because of the refs' calls and no-calls. Plenty of blame to go around, if you're into that.

As Grier has not announced that he's NOT going to the bowl game so the OP started something without providing proof. That's classless, too. More blame for the OP.

Will the OP apologize to Grier & WVU if Will plays in the bowl game?

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17

U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence

N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6

T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34

A ntsy time for fans, vs. Kansas!, 38-22

I ncomprehensible insanely indescribably inept offense against Iowa State, 14-30

N ailed Baylor, 58-14

E rectile dysfunctioned Texas on 2-point PAT, 42-41

E viscerated TCU, 47-10

R etching collapse at Oklahoma State, 41-45

S pectacular shootout but Oklahoma wins, 56-59

I guess i’d rather have a player skip a bowl game vs a player not care and half-ass a game.

Winning this game means nothing but Allison playing a whole game and getting 100% practice snaps is huge.

Geno learned the hard way what it means not to be a team player going into the draft.

This trend of sitting out of "meaningless bowls" is a bad one. You're either a teammate... or not. You stand with your team, or you don't. I'd be extremely disappointed if they choose to sit out the bowl.

NFL teams do not care.

There is a big difference between being a toxic teammate and one who doesnt play in a bowl game.

Ive heard Geno wasnt the best teammate, in general (mood, attitude)...Grier has seemed fine.

But at the beginning of the season both OSU and TCU were projected as top 20 teams and KSU as a fringe top 25 team. All three fell drastically short of those expectations and while ISU was better than expected it's not nearly enough to compensate for how bad the other 3 were this year. If you predicted 8-4 knowing how bad the Big XII was going to be at the end of the year, then I'd say you have unreasonably low expectations for WVU football. Win either of the very winnable games against ISU or OSU and WVU is in the Big XII title game. Can you honestly look at the Big XII standings with the win/loss column along with the rankings and say that it was a successful season for this team? If so, we just have to agree to disagree.

When season began nobody knew how teams were going to finish. Even Vegas picked WVU under / over at 7 wins for 2018.

But the WVU media--take Brad Howe, for example--predicted a 10-2 season, and Big 12 Title Game berth, so let's not pretend that WVU has exceeded expectations this season, T-Bone/Allen.

Reactions: WVUDisciples
ADVERTISEMENT