ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Hunter Granted Release

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (March 19, 2018) – West Virginia University men’s basketball coach Bob Huggins has announced that junior D’Angelo Hunter has been granted a release to transfer from the program.

Hunter played in 17 games this season, averaging 1.5 points and 0.9 rebounds per game.

“We appreciate D’Angelo’s hard work and contributions to Mountaineer basketball,” Huggins said.

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (March 19, 2018) – West Virginia University men’s basketball coach Bob Huggins has announced that junior D’Angelo Hunter has been granted a release to transfer from the program.

Hunter played in 17 games this season, averaging 1.5 points and 0.9 rebounds per game.

“We appreciate D’Angelo’s hard work and contributions to Mountaineer basketball,” Huggins said.
Not a surprise but I still hate to see it.

Strange timing but I guess we had to trim roster to make room for a better player. What’s the numbers game now that Hunter is gone? We got 4 coming in and Hunter is gone. That frees up 1. Don’t we still have to free up 1 more opening just to get that 4 in. If so I would say Bender is next cause Routt has clearly passed him up and Culver is a stud getting older in prep school and he will impact.

Sags, Culver, Routt, Esa, Wes Harris can man the 4-5 spots in modern college hoops. Lamont even can play 4 spot in certain lineups for small minutes here and there. Bender may never see floor next year if he stays.

If we don’t have to trim roster anymore with Hunter gone, I would go with current roster and shut down 2018 class with 4. Knapper is added bonus. Keep everybody else including Bender, Harler and get older, better. They may develop. There only sophomores.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
Why would he leave the team when we still have a shot at the final four?

Because these kids don’t care about the things you care about. You’re normal and some of these kids aren’t. It’s hard to understand how they think but it’s all about them(and their posse).

Strange timing but I guess we had to trim roster to make room for a better player. What’s the numbers game now that Hunter is gone? We got 4 coming in and Hunter is gone. That frees up 1. Don’t we still have to free up 1 more opening just to get that 4 in. If so I would say Bender is next cause Routt has clearly passed him up and Culver is a stud getting older in prep school and he will impact.

Sags, Culver, Routt, Esa, Wes Harris can man the 4-5 spots in modern college hoops. Lamont even can play 4 spot in certain lineups for small minutes here and there. Bender may never see floor next year if he stays.

If we don’t have to trim roster anymore with Hunter gone, I would go with current roster and shut down 2018 class with 4. Knapper is added bonus. Keep everybody else including Bender, Harler and get older, better. They may develop. There only sophomores.

With the open scholarship, what’s the chance Elmore would transfer in? Wouldn’t he be immediately eligible, transferring up from a lesser school?

I don't think Hunter was even with the team in San Diego, so a potential Sweet 16 or beyond trip probably wasn't on his mind.

Zero chance Elmore would transfer in. Why would WVU want him to?

Marshall has something special going on. They are going to have another NCAA tournament team next year with sweet 16 potential. They return their whole team. Their loaded. Why should Elmore even leave? He just made it to 2nd round. They will be even better next year. Great things in store for them next year and I think Elmore wants to be and stay apart of this. Huntington and Herd Nation is excited about next year and basketball. Big attendance jump coming down there. Huntington is buzzing with Elmore and Marshall hoops. Elmore is the face of it.

If Elmore and Marshall didn’t have to face WVU they would be in sweet 16 probably. Other teams would have allowed him to get too comfortable out there. Burks too. They would have been lighting up a softer defensive team.

Marshall has something special going on. They are going to have another NCAA tournament team next year with sweet 16 potential.
Just stop with this shite already.

CUSA is a one-bid league. The committee proved that this year by leaving MTSU out.

The only way the Herd even reaches the Tournament again is by winning the CUSA Tournament. And I think MTSU, Western Kentucky and ODU will have something to say about it.

For all those punching Marshall's ticket next year need to step back into reality.

If 25 win teams like MTSU and St. Marys cant get an at-large bid this year, why does anyone think Marshall could next year if they don't win CUSA.

Plus if Marshall really wants to be 'legit' they are going to have improve their 276th ranked non-conference basketball schedule.

Marshall has something special going on. They are going to have another NCAA tournament team next year with sweet 16 potential. They return their whole team. Their loaded. Why should Elmore even leave? He just made it to 2nd round. They will be even better next year. Great things in store for them next year and I think Elmore wants to be and stay apart of this. Huntington and Herd Nation is excited about next year and basketball. Big attendance jump coming down there. Huntington is buzzing with Elmore and Marshall hoops. Elmore is the face of it.
lmao. Did you watch the WVU Marshall game? I didn’t see anything “special” with Marshall. They looked slow, weak, and possessed little talent at this level. I was left scratching my head as to how they not only made the tournament, but how bad Wichita State must be. Jon Elmore might be good in CUSA, but he would not sniff our starting lineup at WVU. After all the hype, I was disappointed in his play and ability.

"Their loaded" is the smartest statement you made because it distracts the reader from the other insane statements you made.

CDOA is a horrible 1 bid league. Marshall just got skull stomped by what 23 and the game was not that close, yet "their loaded" for next season. Okay.

I'm just gonna put you on ignore cause you're becoming more delusional about things. I'm sure you'll have a new userid soon enough.

If Elmore and Marshall didn’t have to face WVU they would be in sweet 16 probably. Other teams would have allowed him to get too comfortable out there. Burks too. They would have been lighting up a softer defensive team.

Well with Elmore being the Messiah, lets face it that WVU got lucky and that luck stopped them from winning the whole sha-bang. No?

Reactions: Soaring Eagle 74

I've cross-examined witnesses testifying in support of murderers on the stand with more veracity than whomever this dude is...

Konate might not be around next year

I think he could increase his draft status with another year but the NBA draft is all based on potential instead of current ability

Take the time a student athlete has to spend on his studies and he can develop a lot faster as a professional
Konate at 6'8 250 can man the middle like a 5 on teams who like to run and spread the court
A lot better defensively than the PF out of Oregon last year who is playing important minutes at GS this year

I would be surprise if he doesnt declare and not hire an agent

If Konate goes pro it just further illustrates why the system is a mess and how much these idiots need to do something. Konate needs more development and should value his education a little. He’s no guarantee at 6-8 to ever make much money playing center position. He’s a 10 pt 7 reb sophomore who is undersized at his position. If he goes pro than tickets going forward should be $10 tops for such a depleted game.

Devin Williams going pro was a joke. He needed to value his education more, make his mark at WVU and improve/development another year while trying to win a national title. Devin would have won a national title last year at WVU had he stayed. He could have been a college legend at WVU. That alone builds future jobs, opportunities for him after basketball. Broke system. Shame!

If Konate goes pro it just further illustrates why the system is a mess and how much these idiots need to do something. Konate needs more development and should value his education a little. He’s no guarantee at 6-8 to ever make much money playing center position. He’s a 10 pt 7 reb sophomore who is undersized at his position. If he goes pro than tickets going forward should be $10 tops for such a depleted game.

Devin Williams going pro was a joke. He needed to value his education more, make his mark at WVU and improve/development another year while trying to win a national title. Devin would have won a national title last year at WVU had he stayed. He could have been a college legend at WVU. That alone builds future jobs, opportunities for him after basketball. Broke system. Shame!
this is to be expected in today’s world. Trae Young isn’t ready. But he’s going pro. His all around game needs improvement. He’ll be a good nba player. But not yet. He declared already

The narrative told to players at this time is that players are developing a lot more as a professional than in college

It is not just the amount of time but it is the coaching as well.

Konate will do what is best for him and not what is best for WVU
I cannot disagree that is not the correct thing because ultimately the NCAA and the university are exploiting these players.

If college becomes less and less it will eventually crumble the NBA. It’s coming. Money is destroying sports at the higher levels. It’s all going to crash and fall and be forced to rebuild a better model.

The NBA needs to work with NCAA and fix the mess. They can fix some big issues and protect the game. The NCAA needs to go bigger scholarships and less spending on coaches, facilities. The NBA needs to help keep college game good. Follow the football, baseball model. 3 years. Players should be aloud to return to school if undrafted.

If college becomes less and less it will eventually crumble the NBA. It’s coming. Money is destroying sports at the higher levels. It’s all going to crash and fall and be forced to rebuild a better model.

The NBA needs to work with NCAA and fix the mess. They can fix some big issues and protect the game. The NCAA needs to go bigger scholarships and less spending on coaches, facilities. The NBA needs to help keep college game good. Follow the football, baseball model. 3 years. Players should be aloud to return to school if undrafted.
Konate is the same height as most small forwards in the NBA who can shoot 3s. No way he ever plays in the NBA. He is a great college defender but would get eaten alive and the next level because he would have to defend the perimeter.

The NCAA Tournament will always be a big deal no matter the amount of great players

Maybe if you forgot but it was only ten years ago that joy had 6-15 players declaring for the NBA draft out of HS
Then you had most players of NBA talent sticking around for two years or less

None of this damaged the college game

Konate is the same height as most small forwards in the NBA who can shoot 3s. No way he ever plays in the NBA. He is a great college defender but would get eaten alive and the next level because he would have to defend the perimeter.

Physical strength in the paint is a lot more important than height
The NBA player that plays at the current time that Konate is compared to is Montrezl Harrell

Konate hasn’t developed offense. If he’s smart he at least stays another year. It would serve him good.

There has to be a better way that helps the NBA and college than this. If stars get more marketing in college it makes the NBA better and more marketable as well. If you could see the stars play 2-3 years in college it makes the NBA better. Get to know the guys more before NBA like the old days. Builds their marketing and exposes the flops more.

Imagine if the top college stars stayed 2-3 years instead of 1. Could you imagine the talent on the floor in NCAA tourney and Final 4. It would be ratings hit increase and incredible display, popularity increase for the sport.

The majority of NBA teams are drafting on potential and for the most part understand that most college players will need two additional years of development

The question truthfully is do players develop better in college or the NBA
With the D League being an option I think the benefit of getting paid to develop is a lot more lucrative

Last edited:
Sounds like you're rooting against him.

Konate hasn’t developed offense. If he’s smart he at least stays another year. It would serve him good.

There has to be a better way that helps the NBA and college than this. If stars get more marketing in college it makes the NBA better and more marketable as well. If you could see the stars play 2-3 years in college it makes the NBA better. Get to know the guys more before NBA like the old days. Builds their marketing and exposes the flops more.

It’s like you don’t even watch the games....

Konate is one of the most improved offensive players in the NATION

Talk about the "circle of confusion". This started with "Hunter granted release". This is hilarious. LMAO.

Keatoncornerloser so your saying he doesn’t need to improve his offense another year in college before he goes pro and risk flopping big time? 10 pts a game. C’mon. Get another year and develop. What’s wrong with that? Is that going to be bad for him? He also needs to mature a little more. It’s a win win for him to stay another year.

Keatoncornerloser so your saying he doesn’t need to improve his offense another year in college before he goes pro and risk flopping big time? 10 pts a game. C’mon. Get another year and develop. What’s wrong with that? Is that going to be bad for him? He also needs to mature a little more. It’s a win win for him to stay another year.

No because the upside on Konate is that he can turn into a Ben Wallace type player who can control the game through defense, pick and roll and rebounding.

Last edited:
The way this system is so broken it wouldn’t surprise me if 2 more leave for various reasons. Maybe that’s why we still recruit a few more. Hell it wouldn’t surprise me if Konate makes a stupid decision like that. Players don’t develop in G League or overseas. Never did much. These players who don’t care about education look for the easy way out and hurt their own future. If he leaves after sophomore year I think he destroys his future.

Remember Gordon Malone from 1996-97 team. He left early and never made it to NBA. 1 more year would have helped him big time. Had the upside but didn’t develop in college enough.

Most players don’t develop in pro ball that well. The highest talent will but most wont make it well if they don’t develop in college.

Jevon Carter coming back to school has increased his NBA potential. If he left after last year you would never hear of him again. He would be broke playing in Europe. Coming back for senior year he will now make an NBA team. He has developed his game more. He will play in NBA. He increased his earnings. He’s smart. He understands the big picture. He also cemented himself as a major college legend at WVU where he will have unlimited opportunities after his playing career to come back and work and have 2nd career as a legend in WVU nation. He will either coach or get plugged in a nice job in Morgantown area easy. He’s the man now in Mountaineer Country! He’s loved forever now. All because he was smart enough to stay for senior year. If he wins national title he could be greatest most celebrated WVU Mountaineer since Jerry West. His opportunities and marketing will explode even more.

Jevon Carter coming back to school has increased his NBA potential. If he left after last year you would never hear of him again. He would be broke playing in Europe. Coming back for senior year he will now make an NBA team. He has developed his game more. He will play in NBA. He increased his earnings. He’s smart. He understands the big picture. He also cemented himself as a major college legend at WVU where he will have unlimited opportunities after his playing career to come back and work and have 2nd career as a legend in WVU nation. He will either coach or get plugged in a nice job in Morgantown area easy. He’s the man now in Mountaineer Country! He’s loved forever now. All because he was smart enough to stay for senior year. If he wins national title he could be greatest most celebrated WVU Mountaineer since Jerry West. His opportunities and marketing will explode even more.

You sound ridiculous acting like a player cannot continue his education after declaring for the NBA draft and signing with an agent
What is even worse is that you are attempting to say a player declaring for the NBA draft early is a terrible decision
I am a huge supporter of college sports and my university but I understand that these players pretty much are being taken advantage and if they want to play professional sports that is their own decision

Last edited:
That’s all new age liberal nonsense that their being taken advantage of. They get a huge scholarship, free education and get to play in front of rabid, obsessive fan bases that love the team and tradition. College sports is the greatest memories most athletes will ever have. That is the most intense greatest environments they will ever compete in and the funnest time of their life. They have hot college girls falling all over them and get to build unlimited connections to coaching world and other future job opportunities if they have a clue like Jevon Carter.

Trust me their not being taken advantage of. You must be young. College athletes are very spoiled. The problem is that too many black athletes don’t value getting an education and we’re never pushed academically by their family much. So they blame the NCAA. Most white athletes with great talent still make excellent grades and value the educational part of college. Too many black athletes don’t care about education. That’s the problem. Many end up broke with nothing when they leave early. Their are plenty of bad stories like that. Trust me. Bad advice and bad decisions cause this. Stay in school unless your a all world star. Most are not that great like that. Broken system.

That’s all new age liberal nonsense that their being taken advantage of. They get a huge scholarship, free education and get to play in front of rabid, obsessive fan bases that love the team and tradition. College sports is the greatest memories most athletes will ever have. That is the most intense greatest environments they will ever compete in and the funnest time of their life. They have hot college girls falling all over them and get to build unlimited connections to coaching world and other future job opportunities if they have a clue like Jevon Carter.

Trust me their not being taken advantage of. You must be young. College athletes are very spoiled. The problem is that too many black athletes don’t value getting an education and we’re never pushed academically by their family much. So they blame the NCAA. Most white athletes with great talent still make excellent grades and value the educational part of college. Too many black athletes don’t care about education. That’s the problem. Many end up broke with nothing when they leave early. Their are plenty of bad stories like that. Trust me. Bad advice and bad decisions cause this. Stay in school unless your a all world star. Most are not that great like that. Broken system.

He is 6’8”. He doesn’t have a chance against NBA forwards which is what he would have to play. Lebron is the same height. I love his game in college but cmon. He would have to be a 3 in the NBA and wouldn’t have a chance. No way he declares.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT