ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Huggins post-game

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Bob Huggins said they need to start playing Emmitt Matthews more and some of those other guys way less. He told Trey Doomes they need to take the redshirt off him because he's the only straight line driver they have. Get the young guys playing and they'll play hard.
He said they're floundering around at 8-7.

This quote stood out to me. "This is my fault. This is 100-percent my fault. I recruited these guys, I signed off on recruiting them. I'm supposed to be smart enough to figure out how to get them to play. I haven't been able to. That's on me, that's 100-percent on me. I don't want to sit here and say I'm blaming them because the honest to god's truth is I should be smart enough to know what I've got. And to continue to trust people that don't deserve the trust. That's on me. That's not on them, that's on me. We're going to work like crazy to fix this."

I'll believe it when I see it. Heard this song and dance before....in fact, almost this exact same thing 2-3 weeks ago. My money says we see the same guys on the floor Saturday.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Huggs needs told to retire by Lyons. He inherited a good program Belien built up. Huggs has recruited some bad players for the last decade here. The fix it years to now. Huggs is the most overatted coach in America. I’ve thought so for last 6-7 years.

Huggs needs told to retire by Lyons. He inherited a good program Belien built up. Huggs has recruited some bad players for the last decade here. The fix it years to now. Huggs is the most overatted coach in America. I’ve thought so for last 6-7 years.

So if they were undefeated in Big 12 right now you would be sucking his left nut. 3-0 was very possible by just making foul shots.

Bob Huggins said they need to start playing Emmitt Matthews more and some of those other guys way less. He told Trey Doomes they need to take the redshirt off him because he's the only straight line driver they have. Get the young guys playing and they'll play hard.
He said they're floundering around at 8-7.

This quote stood out to me. "This is my fault. This is 100-percent my fault. I recruited these guys, I signed off on recruiting them. I'm supposed to be smart enough to figure out how to get them to play. I haven't been able to. That's on me, that's 100-percent on me. I don't want to sit here and say I'm blaming them because the honest to god's truth is I should be smart enough to know what I've got. And to continue to trust people that don't deserve the trust. That's on me. That's not on them, that's on me. We're going to work like crazy to fix this."
Matthews can't be much worse than Esa at this stage. I have thought for quite a while that a redshirt guard is about the last thing we need when the guard position is so weak. I don't know if Doomes will earn any time but we need him now more than we do next year. Bolden needs to be THE shooting guard and stay in his lane. I thought at times tonight that he wasn't really letting McCabe run the point. Harler can get 3 or 4 minutes a game to give Bolden a rest. Haley can fill in, probably even play some at small forward. I had some hopes that Knapper could at least back up McCabe but he is terrible against a press and just didn't get it done tonight. This has to hurt Huggins way more than it does us fans.

What's sad is that with one less stupid turnover they could have won this game. They are improving but the upperclassmen are doing the stupid things causing the losses. Play the "utes" and try and salvage this year while preparing for the future.

Yeah by those guys who does he mean west and Ahmad? I think McCabe has improved drastically since start of season. Sometimes I think we forget he’s a true freshman...Napper just needs to slow down and get under control. I thought that not having speed on floor at end was a mistake but Huggins has had us in the tournament how much recently and people say he needs to go... ridiculous we were sweet sixteen team last year and our best player is hurt or mailed it in.... in words of Aaron Rodgers R E L A X

So sad to watch this. But what is even worse is listening to all this garbage from all the know it all coaches on this site. This team needs something positive to happen and needs positive fans at this point. This is a low point for Huggins and our team and they need our support now more than ever. Disgusting all this negativity. True fans support the team and coach through good and bad times. Unfortunately, those few miserable so called fans think they have all the answers. Mountaineer nation stand up and be heard and support your team.

One major weakness is what's hurting this team.....a steady handed leader who can get a basket. When the pressure ticks up and things go south no one has proven capable of righting the ship. It turns helter skelter on the floor and we aren't able to pull out of it. I love Bob but it's a crime that over the past 2 classes Bob wasn't able to recruit someone to fill that void.

One major weakness is what's hurting this team.....a steady handed leader who can get a basket. When the pressure ticks up and things go south no one has proven capable of righting the ship. It turns helter skelter on the floor and we aren't able to pull out of it. I love Bob but it's a crime that over the past 2 classes Bob wasn't able to recruit someone to fill that void.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he lucked in to Carter. By that, I mean from what I remember on the story, Huggs was at an AAU tournament looking at other guys and got out to watch an 8AM game and noticed JC and how hard he played and how full of energy he was. That's when he recruited him while no other major college had been.

Be nice to luck in to another one of those type of guards.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he lucked in to Carter. By that, I mean from what I remember on the story, Huggs was at an AAU tournament looking at other guys and got out to watch an 8AM game and noticed JC and how hard he played and how full of energy he was. That's when he recruited him while no other major college had been.

That's the story on Carter.... Knapper had struggles in HS just like he is now....McCabe was a flashy player which is a far cry from being tough nosed, Bolden plays park ball half the time and all 3 are under sized. Not sure why anyone is surprised we are having struggles at the point position. Scary thing is with all the struggles mentioned, no Sag's and Culver out half the year this team is still close to winning most of the games they've lost. Just don't see that guy on the team which means next year might not be much better. Doesn't matter how good your bigs are if you can't get the ball up court and to them.

Wouldnt call that luck.

Wouldnt call that luck.

It was though. Lucky that Huggs chose that AAU site. Lucky that JC was playing. Lucky that Huggs got up for the 8AM games when most coaches didn't. Wasn't like Huggs was going to that 8AM game to watch anyone in particular.

Story is nobody wanted Carter.So Huggs took a chance on him.

West Virginia Committed
(9/11/13)
Larry Harrison

8/30/13

Akron
NONE

Green Bay
NONE

Indiana State
NONE

La Salle
NONE