ADVERTISEMENT

Huggins > Beilein

Soaring Eagle 74

All-Conference
Jan 4, 2008
UM Dominated by Villanova

All those big guys and still out-rebounded 38-27.

Embarrassing

Last edited:
Beilein, where are your supposed great recruits? Looks like you got exposed.

Anyone that knows and understands the game will agree with this. Tonight wasn’t even competitive. Plus Huggs took wvu to a FF. B’s a very good coach but basically said coaching and recruiting at wvu was too difficult. That’s all you need to know.

Nova and Jay Wright. That's all you need to know.

You guys are going to rag on a team that just made it to the finals?

Not going to rag on them as they did make the finals and they do have a good coach. I think it does expose Beilein's biggest weakness in that his teams are usually not good on the boards. Didn't he actually limit the strength training his guys had at WVU? Eventually the game may become finesse enough for him to get over the hump, but being able to get physical when necessary still seems to be needed in order to cut down the nets.

If Michigan Sucks for getting blown out in the Final does that mean that every team that failed to get there sucks.
No. It means UM had a historically easy path to the finals. When they finally played an elite team they were blown out.

Sorry can't compare by one game.

Beilein is a good coach without question.

Huggs is a great coach without question.

It's a matter of recruiting players to fit a system. Both have done well for their respective schools.

The heartburn that WVU fans like myself will always have with a guy like Beilein is door slamming quick exit and his lack of respect for people of Morgantown. He knew where we were located and should have stayed in Richmond until his destination job opened. We WERE NOT the ONE.

That's OK. I'll Take HUGGS.

Sorry can't compare by one game.

Beilein is a good coach without question.

Huggs is a great coach without question.

It's a matter of recruiting players to fit a system. Both have done well for their respective schools.

The heartburn that WVU fans like myself will always have with a guy like Beilein is door slamming quick exit and his lack of respect for people of Morgantown. He knew where we were located and should have stayed in Richmond until his destination job opened. We WERE NOT the ONE.

That's OK. I'll Take HUGGS.

I can't blame JB for using WVU as a stepping stone. WVU played in the old Big East, the best basketball conference at the time. Sure WVU wasn't a great program, but it was a chance to compete at a high level. Doubtful he would've gotten the same look from Michigan had he stayed in Richmond versus made WVU competitive against multiple NCAA tournament level teams within the conference. I fault him for taking a bigger contract with a buyout when he knew he'd jump on a better opportunity the moment it came along and THEN contested the buyout. He could've easily kept the original contract, negotiated a lower buyout with concessions to his base salary and/or bonuses, or he could've taken the bigger contract chancing that he may have to pay the buyout in order to make the move if a better job popped up in the near future. That would've been the upstanding thing to do.

"Sure WVU wasn't a great program,"

I'll take exception to your point here. Gale Catlett certainly had a collapse in his final year, but he also had 11 20 plus win seasons at WVU and he is the one who actually rescued us from " not so great program". Jody Gardner had pretty much done that before Gale arrived.

WVU was a very competitive Big East program when Beilein arrived. He and his wife did not like Morgantown and WVU.

I'll take exception to your point here. Gale Catlett certainly had a collapse in his final year, but he also had 11 20 plus win seasons at WVU and he is the one who actually rescued us from " not so great program". Jody Gardner had pretty much done that before Gale arrived.

WVU was a very competitive Big East program when Beilein arrived. He and his wife did not like Morgantown and WVU.

Fair enough, but I didn't say WVU was trash. I wouldn't call a program great that does not field an NCAA team in more seasons than not. As to the last comment, I've worked jobs in places I did not like in order to further my career. I did not feel I owed loyalty to the town or place I worked beyond what I agreed to in taking the job. So I'll not fault Beilein leaving in and of itself. I will fault him for not honoring the agreement he made in the contract.

This is a spot on post. Not sure why so much hate for Catlett outside of the leather sport jacket. He was quite successful in a pretty decent A-10. He wasn't too shabby in the BE either. But yes, prior to his arrival, WVU hoops was nothing to be taken serious. Hell, most on this board didn't know WVU basketball prior to JB.

[/B said:
leftackle70 said:

This is a spot on post. Not sure why so much hate for Catlett outside of the leather sport jacket. He was quite successful in a pretty decent A-10. He wasn't too shabby in the BE either. But yes, prior to his arrival, WVU hoops was nothing to be taken serious. Hell, most on this board didn't know WVU basketball prior to JB.

Agree.

Before Catlett WVU program was 116-121.

Catlett's West Virginia teams won an average of 19 games a season and made eight trips to the NCAA tournament, including a 1998 Sweet 16 appearance, where they upset a highly touted

When JB arrived WVU was not in the gutter as some lay claim.

Again, saying not great does not equate to bad. Good is not great as great is not elite. Imo, a basketball program isn't great if its NCAA tournament appearance rate is less than 50% of recent seasons. Since leather jacket left, WVU has been to NCAA tournament 11 out of 16 seasons

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT