ADVERTISEMENT

How likely was WVUs 5 seed due to this setup?

No way they shouldn't have been a 4 and I think this game was ratings protection should Wichita lose.

4 or a 5 we would be in the same predicament now vs Nova. We were coming out of this group of 4 teams always. WSU has been a program on the decline all year and this just capped it for them, we have one of the hardest working teams in the country that legitimately believes they could have won it all last year given how the Gonzaga game shook out and where that team went. We are on a mission right now, we will give Nova fits but I suspect talent prevails over heart like it typically does when we are in a spot like this.

I don't think anyone outside the state of WV cares about our 'rivalry' with Marshall nor do they know it exists. I really think this was more coincidence than anything else.
It really isn't a rivalry, More like a stalking. They don't have the money nor the ability to rise to rival status...

I don't think anyone outside the state of WV cares about our 'rivalry' with Marshall nor do they know it exists. I really think this was more coincidence than anything else.

In this case, I doubt the alignment with MU was 100% coincidence. Without exactly understanding the temperature is in the room with the committee members when the brackets are assembled, my personal take is there's at least some review of connections between potential match-up schools, especially in the Round of 32.

I obvioulsly have no idea as to the extent the committee-members search for those factors; but I'm certain they have access on paper to that kind of research. And when the discussion eventually revolves around, say, ranking auto-entrants like 12 or 13 seeds, I seriously doubt there's considered to be much separating the four schools on a given line.

And, with plenty of discussion time available for the committee members to look at such things......well, maybe 5-10 minutes over the course of the weekend......why not search for some interesting tidbit to potentially add spice to an otherwise disinteresting (nationally speaking) second round matchup. Or not.....

Reactions: eerdoc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT