ADVERTISEMENT

How expectations have changed.

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
Was having a chat with a couple other Mountaineer f
an's yesterday and our talk centered on whether with all the player loses the team could have a 6-6 season. Dawned on me that no one I know is expecting much...again. mediocrity is now at the peak of the climb.

Dude, you and I agree on a lot of things. But, this one I hate to say we don't.

Like a lot of other folks on this site, I believe you have your head in the sand. All this argument about "mediocrity". Back and forth hateful banter about what constitutes mediocrity.

Look, it gets a whole lot easier when you (and everyone) realizes that WVU is, has been, and always will be the definition of mediocre. A few years here and there of great, a few years here and there of terrible. For the most part, for its entire storied history, somewhere right in the middle, give or take a win or two per year.

It's not going to change - no matter who the coach is or isn't, who the players are or aren't, or how much money is or isn't spent. We aren't ever getting a Nick Saban, Woody Hayes, Bear Bryant, or Pete Carroll to come here. We aren't getting 4 and 5 star players to come here so all we'll get is the mediocre ones who have to work hard. We don't have the money in this state to buy a championship. There is no white knight player or coach coming to take us to the promised land.

So, its really best to just sit back and enjoy the games. When they are over, they're over. Question coaches and players - sure. Question the integrity of the sport - fine. Realize that its just a game and all about the enjoyment - absolutely and most important.

Reactions: WVUALLEN

Like a lot of other folks on this site, I believe you have your head in the sand. All this argument about "mediocrity". Back and forth hateful banter about what constitutes mediocrity.

Look, it gets a whole lot easier when you (and everyone) realizes that WVU is, has been, and always will be the definition of mediocre. A few years here and there of great, a few years here and there of terrible. For the most part, for its entire storied history, somewhere right in the middle, give or take a win or two per year.

It's not going to change - no matter who the coach is or isn't, who the players are or aren't, or how much money is or isn't spent. We aren't ever getting a Nick Saban, Woody Hayes, Bear Bryant, or Pete Carroll to come here. We aren't getting 4 and 5 star players to come here so all we'll get is the mediocre ones who have to work hard. We don't have the money in this state to buy a championship. There is no white knight player or coach coming to take us to the promised land.

So, its really best to just sit back and enjoy the games. When they are over, they're over. Question coaches and players - sure. Question the integrity of the sport - fine. Realize that its just a game and all about the enjoyment - absolutely and most important.
Lol...not sure what you are responding to unless you just wanted to write an essay on the proper place for sports in the world's pecking of things to do.

We had our days though. Some great ones under Don, but the most exciting were the Rich Rod/Pat White years. We are lucky to have those memories and all the BCS trophies in the display case. We may not ever even get a B12 trophy at this rate, sadly.

I am not one who trusts the climb with our current HC. I like the addition of Harrell and JT Daniels, but this team lacks edge and attitude under coach Brown.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Lol...not sure what you are responding to unless you just wanted to write an essay on the proper place for sports in the world's pecking of things to do.
Was responding to your latest iteration of how bad things are in Mudville. With all your negativity, you seem... troubled I guess is the best word. Like things are so bad you need this site to give you therapy for 16 hours a day. Always trying to make someone else feel lesser so you can feel better.

Makes you seem like a liberal social justice warrior. Always seeing the bad in everything. The constant whining isn't a good look but if you can't see it, then by all means carry on.

We had our days though. Some great ones under Don, but the most exciting were the Rich Rod/Pat White years. We are lucky to have those memories and all the BCS trophies in the display case. We may not ever even get a B12 trophy at this rate, sadly.

I am not one who trusts the climb with our current HC. I like the addition of Harrell and JT Daniels, but this team lacks edge and attitude under coach Brown.
Sure we did. But with the way the winds are blowing, it doesn't look like WVU will be able to get the Pat Whites and the Pat White days again.

an's yesterday and our talk centered on whether with all the player loses the team could have a 6-6 season. Dawned on me that no one I know is expecting much...again. mediocrity is now at the peak of the climb.
YOU ARE FULL OF SHIT-LEAVE

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Lol. I guess you always whine and see the bad in everything. What a doofus.
Ha! There's nothing bad or anything to whine about. I'm happy no matter what the win-loss record.

Only thing I care about is the ranking of the university and its graduates. I'll complain about that because that's what really matters in the grand scheme of things. From what I see on here, assuming most of you are grads, I can understand why the university ranks so poorly.

Did you all bother to talk about any of the player gains this team has made?

It doesn't sound like it.

So the only options are "Nick Saban, Woody Hayes, Bear Bryant, or Pete Carroll".....or "complete mediocrity"?

Nothing else exists between those two points?

So your turn around and answer the OP's negativity with a huge negative vibe of your own?
I wouldn't say that his vibe is based on negativity. Its based more on reality. The current NIL situation is pricing out the little guy. The programs that will have the most success are the ones with the biggest booster bases willing to dole out the money. Hence not wvu.

So the only options are "Nick Saban, Woody Hayes, Bear Bryant, or Pete Carroll".....or "complete mediocrity"?

Nothing else exists between those two points?
To a lot of people on here - no. To me? I'm fine with what's here.

So your turn around and answer the OP's negativity with a huge negative vibe of your own?
No. It's simply as Geezer stated. Just reality. It's something pretty much everyone has come to accept and is something we here agree upon.

No. It's simply as Geezer stated. Just reality. It's something pretty much everyone has come to accept and is something we here agree upon.
Do you shine your participation trophies from little league? I mean in your reality there is no hope, or striving for, excellence. Makes me wonder why you would be on a WVU sports forum since there is no hope...there is no upside...and there is no future. Must be awful to accept mediocrity as your greatest achievement.

Do you shine your participation trophies from little league? I mean in your reality there is no hope, or striving for, excellence. Makes me wonder why you would be on a WVU sports forum since there is no hope...there is no upside...and there is no future. Must be awful to accept mediocrity as your greatest achievement.
What have you accomplished tootie?

Being the biggest douchebag crybaby whiner on this message board maybe?

Ah, yes. The "participation trophy/accepting mediocrity" defense. Who couldn't have seen that coming?

Why am I here? To talk sports, of course. Yet, its difficult to do when all one gets to read is constant whining. The question must be asked though: why are you on here when all YOU post is there is no hope, no upside, and no future? Every post. Every day. If this was just me saying this you could call me a liar. But, its not just me. Maybe you should consider maybe taking a good, long look in the mirror?

Let's discuss accepting mediocrity, shall we? Of all the teams in the Power 5 conferences, WVU's education ranks DEAD LAST! By a healthy margin. That applies not just to the athletes, that applies to every student enrolled there. You've been adamant about this, attacking the "student-athlete" for not being "student" enough. What's funny though is that you don't realize this also applies to you and every other alum.

Because of this, I'm going to explain what "accepting mediocrity" really means. It means that educationally, you have a LONG way to go to even get to mediocre. Now, did you accept this when you were a student there? Did you transfer to a higher ranked school - one that was well above the average - to get out of that cellar?

No?

So, you failed in your educational choice because you were unwilling to accept mediocrity. Perhaps you worried that if you went somewhere even mediocre you couldn't have hacked it? Perhaps you didn't even get accepted into any university above the norm? Whatever the reason, it falls on your shoulders.

Finally, here's your answer to that ridiculous question about my "accepting mediocrity". One difference between you and me is that I have the wisdom to know that with regards to the things I can't change, such as win-loss records in football and basketball, I accept them for what they are for us fans - for entertainment purposes only. That way, I don't have to constantly complain, call names, and act like a child when someone disagrees with me on a message board. I can simply rebut their arguments because that's what educationally sound, mature adults do.

Reactions: WVUFanForever
Ah, yes. The "participation trophy/accepting mediocrity" defense. Who couldn't have seen that coming?

Why am I here? To talk sports, of course. Yet, its difficult to do when all one gets to read is constant whining. The question must be asked though: why are you on here when all YOU post is there is no hope, no upside, and no future? Every post. Every day. If this was just me saying this you could call me a liar. But, its not just me. Maybe you should consider maybe taking a good, long look in the mirror?

Let's discuss accepting mediocrity, shall we? Of all the teams in the Power 5 conferences, WVU's education ranks DEAD LAST! By a healthy margin. That applies not just to the athletes, that applies to every student enrolled there. You've been adamant about this, attacking the "student-athlete" for not being "student" enough. What's funny though is that you don't realize this also applies to you and every other alum.

Because of this, I'm going to explain what "accepting mediocrity" really means. It means that educationally, you have a LONG way to go to even get to mediocre. Now, did you accept this when you were a student there? Did you transfer to a higher ranked school - one that was well above the average - to get out of that cellar?

No?

So, you failed in your educational choice because you were unwilling to accept mediocrity. Perhaps you worried that if you went somewhere even mediocre you couldn't have hacked it? Perhaps you didn't even get accepted into any university above the norm? Whatever the reason, it falls on your shoulders.

Finally, here's your answer to that ridiculous question about my "accepting mediocrity". One difference between you and me is that I have the wisdom to know that with regards to the things I can't change, such as win-loss records in football and basketball, I accept them for what they are for us fans - for entertainment purposes only. That way, I don't have to constantly complain, call names, and act like a child when someone disagrees with me on a message board. I can simply rebut their arguments because that's what educationally sound, mature adults do.
So...you agree mediocrity is the new norm. Just say it. Don't need an encyclopedia. Glad you confirmed it SpartanLover. Lol

I disagree. Mediocrity isn't the NEW norm. WVU is what they pretty much always have been.

Better?
Oh SpartanLover it's getting clearer by the post. You like mediocre in your "entertainment " and are convinced that the pursuit of anything important is futile. Sports mean nothing to you and won/lost records are boring. Yet you continue to frequent a forum of a university that you claim has always been mediocre at athletics and abysmal in education. Kind of a fool's position isn't it?

So let's see...Allen, Stink, Fakefan and Goldy all either think WVU is heading for the playoffs or believe that 6-6 is an achievement and not mediocre. Interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT