ADVERTISEMENT

How Difficult Would It Be?

TexasforevEER

All-Conference
Nov 10, 2006
For the Mountaineers to install a 4 3 4 defense for the Oklahoma game to replace the 3 3 5? Or is it the 3 5 3? I am going to ask Dana to make the switch but keep in mind..............he may tell me that the switch would be difficult and may have to wait until next year. Warez

Last edited:
For the Mountaineers to install a 4 3 4 defense for the Oklahoma game to replace the 3 5 3? I am going to ask Dana to make the switch but keep in mind..............he may tell me that the switch would be difficult and may have to wait until next year. Warez
Yes Warez, I believe that is what he will tell you. Maybe they can just have David Long or somebody "spy" on Murray so he doesn't run for 200 yards. It is a shame our linebacking corps is so depleted from injuries. On a side note: I hope you gave my buddy Torontoeers Thanksgiving Day off from the pickle patch. Even though he is a foreigner, he works hard and deserves a break! Happy Thanksgiving to all Mountaineers, wherever you may be!

5 facts about the 3-3-5

#1 – The 3-3-5 Defense is versatile enough to defend any offensive attack.

This is not a soft defense. It is not something that an only stop the spread. That’s probably the single most ridiculous statement I hear. I hear it a lot.

I like the 3-3-5 Defense because it makes those outside guys feel faster when you call them safeties. But the defense does not change.

So whether you’ve got a bunch of Spread Option attacks or you see the Double Wing all year long, the 3-3-5 Defense can work.

The 3-3-5 defense is the same as 3-5-3 or a 5-3. All that matters is what you call the guys on the outside.

#2 – The 3-3-5 Defense is an 8 man front, best partnered with Cover 3 or Cover 1.

Natural fit is Cover 3 for zone coverage or Cover 1 for man coverage.
That’s the case with any 8 man front. Most 3-3-5 Defensive Coordinators are going to send at least one blitzer on 90% of the snaps, so Cover 3 works.

#3 – The 3-3-5 Defense is a great choice if you have no traditional defensive linemen.

Since you’ll be slanting most of the time up front, this is a good fit for teams without any big, strong and potentially dominant defensive linemen.

#4 – You can blitz aggressively in the 3-3-5 Defense.

3-3-5 Defense does not give you license to be a non-sensical, blitz-happy maniac. Not if you like winning.

A lot of coaches tell you this is a “risk-reward” defense. That’s true to an extent. But if you just blitz and random, you won’t get much reward.

#5 – The 3-3-5 Defense can be used as a change-up front to your base Even Front.

That’s tough on the opponents, especially if they are not expecting it. The ability to line up in different looks (while never changing the principles of your own defense) is a plus.

You need talent to run this or any defense for that matter.

Reactions: Euell
Yes Warez, I believe that is what he will tell you. Maybe they can just have David Long or somebody "spy" on Murray so he doesn't run for 200 yards. It is a shame our linebacking corps is so depleted from injuries. On a side note: I hope you gave my buddy Torontoeers Thanksgiving Day off from the pickle patch. Even though he is a foreigner, he works hard and deserves a break! Happy Thanksgiving to all Mountaineers, wherever you may be!

On the contrary...............Holgs told me to look for a surprise when the Mountaineers go on D tonight. He told me that the coaches have a plan for containing the Sooners QB and that he will be lucky to run for 10 yards on 20 carries. I can hardly wait to see what Holgs is going to unveil. Warez

Last edited:
5 facts about the 3-3-5

#1 – The 3-3-5 Defense is versatile enough to defend any offensive attack.

This is not a soft defense. It is not something that an only stop the spread. That’s probably the single most ridiculous statement I hear. I hear it a lot.

I like the 3-3-5 Defense because it makes those outside guys feel faster when you call them safeties. But the defense does not change.

So whether you’ve got a bunch of Spread Option attacks or you see the Double Wing all year long, the 3-3-5 Defense can work.

The 3-3-5 defense is the same as 3-5-3 or a 5-3. All that matters is what you call the guys on the outside.

#2 – The 3-3-5 Defense is an 8 man front, best partnered with Cover 3 or Cover 1.

Natural fit is Cover 3 for zone coverage or Cover 1 for man coverage.
That’s the case with any 8 man front. Most 3-3-5 Defensive Coordinators are going to send at least one blitzer on 90% of the snaps, so Cover 3 works.

#3 – The 3-3-5 Defense is a great choice if you have no traditional defensive linemen.

Since you’ll be slanting most of the time up front, this is a good fit for teams without any big, strong and potentially dominant defensive linemen.

#4 – You can blitz aggressively in the 3-3-5 Defense.

3-3-5 Defense does not give you license to be a non-sensical, blitz-happy maniac. Not if you like winning.

A lot of coaches tell you this is a “risk-reward” defense. That’s true to an extent. But if you just blitz and random, you won’t get much reward.

#5 – The 3-3-5 Defense can be used as a change-up front to your base Even Front.

That’s tough on the opponents, especially if they are not expecting it. The ability to line up in different looks (while never changing the principles of your own defense) is a plus.

You need talent to run this or any defense for that matter.

Dream on. The 3-3-5 has never stopped a good offensive attack.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT