ADVERTISEMENT

Horton gets the start vs TX

deedoubleyou

All-Conference
Sep 9, 2018
Per WV Illustrated ..Huggs is sending a message to the vets. He's giving walk-on Horton the start tomorrow night against Texas. He also called out Esa saying "our most veteran guy leads the team in turnovers by a landslide." Thoughts?

Im fine with this. Lets see what the kid can do. I saw him shoot around before a middle school game in Fairmont last year and the kid could drain some shots. No one else is getting it done.

Huggins has lost this team and hasn’t figured out how to get it back

Horton blew Doomes away. He’s a freak athlete that actually can shoot. He’s about 6-1 to 6-2 legit. I know him personally. He’s not cocky and doesn’t brag about anything and lives WVU and playing for WV athletes. He wants to represent WV athletes. He beat out Doomes and everybody in program knows this. Horton is probably our best guard with Beetle and taller, longer Haley.

It’s about time Huggs got his head out of his ass and played somebody better. Horton will shine and help our guard play.

Huggs needs to recruit Dobbs and Bridges too out of westside Fairmont aka Fairmont Senior.

You know, I think Harler could be a spot up shooter as could Bolden, if the rest of the team could dribble drive and kick out. Yeah, I see. Nevermind.

Per WV Illustrated ..Huggs is sending a message to the vets. He's giving walk-on Horton the start tomorrow night against Texas. He also called out Esa saying "our most veteran guy leads the team in turnovers by a landslide." Thoughts?

Im fine with this. Lets see what the kid can do. I saw him shoot around before a middle school game in Fairmont last year and the kid could drain some shots. No one else is getting it done.

Hope he can give us some points. Hope he is not afraid to take a shot or try to get to the rim. We need points.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
You know, I think Harler could be a spot up shooter as could Bolden, if the rest of the team could dribble drive and kick out. Yeah, I see. Nevermind.

But Chase has been very reluctant to take shots.

Hope he can give us some points. Hope he is not afraid to take a shot or try to get to the rim. We need points.

No...

You need Defense...

You have to force Texas to take bad shots and to control the clock.

Texas will kill WV in a fast pace offensive game

No...

You need Defense...

You have to force Texas to take bad shots and to control the clock.

Texas will kill WV in a fast pace offensive game

I have no problem with the need for defense. Just don't think we can go for 10 minute stretches with out scoring like we did vs Tex. Tech.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
I have no problem with the need for defense. Just don't think we can go for 10 minute stretches with out scoring like we did vs Tex. Tech.

If you look at who Texas had problems with.

They were teams that forced Texas to grind.
All their losses were low scoring games.

Don't think WV has the guards to get into a fast pace offensive game with Texas.

That plays into their Havoc and gives them easy baskets in transition.

WV can't turn the ball over.

I think ultimately this is the reason.
Limit the turnovers and find players that want to play defense.

Texas is a scary team when it gets turnovers.
They are that athletic.
A lot better version of what you saw with Florida

We don't have guards. Something that is very bad when playing Big 12 teams.

If Harris can stay out of foul trouble he is most consistent player.
West is so tough to figure out. Really inconsistent and struggles on D, don’t know why.
We absolutely have no pg right now.

We don't have guards. Something that is very bad when playing Big 12 teams.

Horton should have played from day 1. Huggs is an F grade coach this year. He needs to retire. I’m getting tired of the excuses. Huggs and staff didn’t recruit well.

Still I wonder about Doomes. He isn't as ready as a walk-on? Or is he injured as well?

WV can't turn the ball over.

I think ultimately this is the reason.
Limit the turnovers and find players that want to play defense.

Texas is a scary team when it gets turnovers.
They are that athletic.
A lot better version of what you saw with Florida

This feels like a talk with my wife. I’m agreeing with you but it feels like an argument. Fine don’t play up tempo but you can’t forget the 30 second clock either. YES, TOs have been a huge problem. But you have to admit that Esa is a major part of that. Not just our guards.

So, our chemistry and rotations are out of sync. It leads to hesitant play that feeds TOs. When Haley, Chase and others pass up open shots, we end up on the short end of the shot clock. Take lower percentage shots which is like another TO. Also, reluctant shooters allow our opponents to gang up on the one or two guys that do look to score.

It feels like getting Culver back is helping. Just hoping Horton can help us score and run our offense. Can’t get much worse so it’s worth a try.

Still I wonder about Doomes. He isn't as ready as a walk-on? Or is he injured as well?

Guessing it’s the mental aspects and the speed of the game. He has the frame to fit our system. For some, it just takes time for the game to come to them. I’m not giving up just yet. He could be our next Dax if he develops.

Doomes got the redshirt status from what I know. At this point I think we should play for the future. Next season will be better if our younger guys get more playing time. Let the older players come off the bench.

This is a joke. Why pull the kid so fast? Give Horton a shot. The other guards suck. Huggs overpaid. Save the money and give it to Neal Brown staff.

4-23 last few games......wish he would be more reluctant.

It’s not just Chase, Haley, and West all had 0 points. Harris only had 3 points. He wasn’t recruited for his ability to protect the rim. All these guys need to get into the gym and put up shots (FTs too) until they hit a decent percentage and their confidence improves. Otherwise, Huggs should be reluctant to play them.

Actually, since we are getting such poor production from these guys, I really don’ t see why Huggs isn’t playing Mathews & McCabe. May as well develop our future.

Harler continues to hurt Huggs. He has got to limit his minutes. Just crazy.

He played 6 minutes. I don't think that's hurting. The 6 to 10 should be Harler's max. As far as Horton. he sucks. He will be transferring next year.

It’s not just Chase, Haley, and West all had 0 points. Harris only had 3 points. He wasn’t recruited for his ability to protect the rim. All these guys need to get into the gym and put up shots (FTs too) until they hit a decent percentage and their confidence improves. Otherwise, Huggs should be reluctant to play them.

Actually, since we are getting such poor production from these guys, I really don’ t see why Huggs isn’t playing Mathews & McCabe. May as well develop our future.

McCabe played 28 minutes last night and was productive at the point. As far as Harris having only 3 points, he spent the night in foul trouble getting limited time. Look for Culver to start getting more minutes.

Reactions: JWG66
WVUallen Huggs doesn’t even give Horton a chance to get comfortable and settle down. I think several players transfer next year. Why would they want to play for a over the hill, washed up, over paid coach like Huggs. Huggs has created a messy, sloppy joke here this year. Good guards and good wings want nothing to do with Huggins. Shane better get him to take pay cut or retire.

I’m tired of the Huggs excuses. He recruits a bunch of passive, soft wimps but has every excuse why they this, that......he recruited these D2 players. He preaches toughness but recruits softies. It’s like what?

WVUallen Huggs doesn’t even give Horton a chance to get comfortable and settle down. I think several players transfer next year. Why would they want to play for a over the hill, washed up, over paid coach like Huggs. Huggs has created a messy, sloppy joke here this year. Good guards and good wings want nothing to do with Huggins. Shane better get him to take pay cut or retire.

I’m tired of the Huggs excuses. He recruits a bunch of passive, soft wimps but has every excuse why they this, that......he recruited these D2 players. He preaches toughness but recruits softies. It’s like what?

Doesn't give him a chance because he sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT