ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops Offense Went Vanilla

WVSportsman304

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
So our offense comes out blazing hot. Over 60% from the field and 4-4 from three in the first twelve minutes of the game. Build a 17pt lead. Our guards were playing aggressive, offense was free-flowing, and the ball didn’t stick. Any of the rare misses were rebounded and kicked back out for good looks. Then inexplicably our plan of attack changed. Our guards began to only look to dump it inside to a posting big. Very little ball movement, zero ball screens, just toss it inside and let the big dogs eat. The problem with that is that Oscar and Derek just aren’t particularly refined in the post. They fare much better getting offensive boards and subsequent putbacks, and rolling to the rim after a ball screen. Also, it became predictable to Northern Colorado what our plan of attack was. They began jumping entry passes and clogging the lane.

We took nine threes the entire game. With the shooters we have, that’s just a great misuse of talent. I get we wanted to exercise our size advantage and I agree with that. I just disagree in how we went about doing it. We shot 48% from the field to their 37%. 44% from 3 to their 27%. And outrebounded them 42-24. How was that game close? The answer is they shot 21 more threes than us. We have to let our guards make plays. We have to play through them. You just can’t constantly dump it down in the post every time and expect to outscore modern offenses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News