ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Holgorsen has established a culture with WVU football program

There isn't much difference between Pitts program and Wvu's. We just lost to a 6-6 Utah program from the worst conference in the power 5. That was a turd loss if there was one. The current trajectory of the wvu program is beat the weak, split with the average and get devoured by the strong. We are only slightly better than Pitt like it or not.

Utah was 6.5 point favorite. WVU was without their starting QB top RB plus top OL. Efficiency numbers suggested pretty even game. West Virginia's 21st-ranked offense took on Utah's 29th-ranked defense, while the Utes' 61st-rated offense faced the Mountaineers' defense. Crap loss or not WVU had other issues involved in that game.

Utah was 6.5 point favorite. WVU was without their starting QB top RB plus top OL. Efficiency numbers suggested pretty even game. West Virginia's 21st-ranked offense took on Utah's 29th-ranked defense, while the Utes' 61st-rated offense faced the Mountaineers' defense. Crap loss or not WVU had other issues involved in that game.
Utah was a 6-6 team from a terrible conference. Utah physically domintated us on both sides of the ball. It would'nt have mattered who wvu had as a starting Qb. That was a pathetic loss .The majority knew the Pac 12 was weak. The fact that Utah was favored speaks volumes about what the masses think of wvu football these days.

Luck hired Holgorsen stating he wanted a guy who coud win Wvu a national championship. That means being better than any of the other power 5 conference champions. The guy we have now can't even beat a 6-6 pac 12 team in year 7. What was the Pac 12's bowl record last season?

Quarterback situation didn't help at all either. I'm really not sold on Spavital either.

Utah was a 6-6 team from a terrible conference. Utah physically domintated us on both sides of the ball. It would'nt have mattered who wvu had as a starting Qb. That was a pathetic loss .The majority knew the Pac 12 was weak. The fact that Utah was favored speaks volumes about what the masses think of wvu football these days.

Disagree. Will Grier would have out gunned Utah.

What if Tom Brady was our starting QB. Lol! Actually it DOES matter who a teams starting QB is. It’s the most important position in football and the teams with the really good ones usually win more games than the ones that have bad ones. And Utah was only favored because our stud QB wasn’t playing. Also, the “masses” must think highly of WVU football as we’re ranked in every pre season poll I’ve seen so far. What else ya got junior?

Reactions: WVUFanForever
What if Tom Brady was our starting QB. Lol! Actually it DOES matter who a teams starting QB is. It’s the most important position in football and the teams with the really good ones usually win more games than the ones that have bad ones. And Utah was only favored because our stud QB wasn’t playing. Also, the “masses” must think highly of WVU football as we’re ranked in every pre season poll I’ve seen so far. What else ya got junior?
If a Qb doesnt get good line play he isn't going to be any good. Tom brady would never have been the player he is today if he was on the Cleveland Browns. Utah physically dominated us on both sides of the ball. the team that controls the line of scrimmage wins the game.

Reactions: GoWVU
If a Qb doesnt get good line play he isn't going to be any good. Tom brady would never have been the player he is today if he was on the Cleveland Browns. Utah physically dominated us on both sides of the ball. the team that controls the line of scrimmage wins the game.

We were still in that game in the 4th quarter despite horrendous QB play. Have we improved dramatically on the LOS since last year? If the answer is no then how do you explain our pre season rankings and lofty expectations? It’s because of our QB. Yea great line play can win games but great QB play can win games too.

Hate to say it, but we haven't had a good O Line since Rick Trickett coached our team.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Hate to say it, but we haven't had a good O Line since Rick Trickett coached our team.
No we haven't but the Oline was especially bad against utah. We only had 29 total rushing yard against a 6-6 utah team when you factor in yards lost to sacks. 41 yards if you take out the sack yards that is as bad as it gets.

We were still in that game in the 4th quarter despite horrendous QB play. Have we improved dramatically on the LOS since last year? If the answer is no then how do you explain our pre season rankings and lofty expectations? It’s because of our QB. Yea great line play can win games but great QB play can win games too.
Teams always get lofty rankings due to the respect of The Qb but you have to have more than that to win the critical games on the schedule. A good Qb needs a good line and receivers to work his magic. The Oline should be much improved this year and the receivers are a year older and more experienced. The offense should be good. The 2007 Wvu team would not have been as good without schmidt, slaton, D reynaud, devine it was'nt all just pat white.

Last edited:
Disagree. Will Grier would have out gunned Utah.
Kyle Whittingham is 10-1 in bowl games in his tenure at utah they would have won that game regardless. He's one of the best in the business come post season he even beat Saban in the Sugar bowl something that Dana would never do.

Allen...you reinforce my point about the upcoming season. Way too much emphasis on one player...one hit away from bad things happening.
9+ wins this season no excuses. If Grier gets hurt then it shouldn't be and excuse for under achivement. Dh is in year 8. Its his responsibility to make sure there is adequate depth to account for injuries. Every team in the power 5 will suffer and injury at some point. The back up isn't supposes to be as good as the starter but should be at least serviceable. If that's not the case then someone isn't earning their paycheck especially after 8 years.

Kyle Whittingham is 10-1 in bowl games in his tenure at utah they would have won that game regardless. He's one of the best in the business come post season he even beat Saban in the Sugar bowl something that Dana would never do.

Yeah because 10-1 means it's an automatic loss. I get why people don't like Holgs. I understand it. It would not bother me if he was gone after this season nor would it bother me if he stayed.

The 10 wins: 2005 Georgia Tech, 2006 Tulsa, 2007 Navy, 2009 Alabama, 2009 California, 2011 Georgia Tech, 2014 Colorado State, 2015 BYU, 2016 Indiana, 2017 WVU.

His only biggie was Alabama win. Holgs only big bowl win Clemson in the Orange Bowl.

Oh and Hall of Fame coach Don Nehlen had losing bowl record.

Allen...you reinforce my point about the upcoming season. Way too much emphasis on one player...one hit away from bad things happening.

You could say the same thing about any team.

So the incoming backups are not solid. I would think they would be better than Chuggs.

9+ wins this season no excuses. If Grier gets hurt then it shouldn't be and excuse for under achivement. Dh is in year 8. Its his responsibility to make sure there is adequate depth to account for injuries. Every team in the power 5 will suffer and injury at some point. The back up isn't supposes to be as good as the starter but should be at least serviceable. If that's not the case then someone isn't earning their paycheck especially after 8 years.

All teams have players where an injury occurs can damage their team.

Not all of these standouts are Heisman candidates necessarily, but take them out of the lineup and their teams crumble, conference championships dashed and any edge within their position group gone.

Yes, the major teams have capable backups. But are they just capable, or can they step into the shoes of these players that teams can ill afford to lose.

One player each college team can not afford to lose...
UCF QB: McKenzie Milton
Wisconsin LB: T.J. Edwards
South Carolina QB: Jake Bentley
Oklahoma RB: Rodney Anderson (life without Baker Mayfield is going to suit the Sooners just fine as long as Anderson stays healthy.)
Florida State RB: Cam Akers
LSU LB: Devin White
Auburn QB: Jarrett Stidham
Washington QB: Jake Browning
Notre Dame LB: Tevon Coney
Texas LB: Breckyn Hager (Without Malik Jefferson as the heart and soul of the Longhorns defense, Hager steps into a featured role this season)
Georgia CB: Deandre Baker
Alabama DL: Raekwon Davis
Michigan DL: Rashan Gary
WVU QB: Will Grier (We've already seen what happens when you take Grier out of the lineup)
Clemson OL: Mitch Hyatt
PSU QB: Trace McSorley
Ohio State QB: Dwayne Haskins
Stanford RB: Bryce Love (Love is the difference between a very good Stanford team and what could be an elite one.)

https://247sports.com/ContentGaller...lege-football-for-2018-118204774/#118204774_9

Yeah because 10-1 means it's an automatic loss. I get why people don't like Holgs. I understand it. It would not bother me if he was gone after this season nor would it bother me if he stayed.

The 10 wins: 2005 Georgia Tech, 2006 Tulsa, 2007 Navy, 2009 Alabama, 2009 California, 2011 Georgia Tech, 2014 Colorado State, 2015 BYU, 2016 Indiana, 2017 WVU.

His only biggie was Alabama win. Holgs only big bowl win Clemson in the Orange Bowl.

Oh and Hall of Fame coach Don Nehlen had losing bowl record.
The win over Alabama was with a team Whittingham recruited and look where that Alabama team finished in the polls. The Orange Bowl team was not recruited by DH and that clemson team finshed 23rd with 4 losses. Half the teams you have mentioned on this list are better than arizona state.

Last edited:
All teams have players where an injury occurs can damage their team.

Not all of these standouts are Heisman candidates necessarily, but take them out of the lineup and their teams crumble, conference championships dashed and any edge within their position group gone.

Yes, the major teams have capable backups. But are they just capable, or can they step into the shoes of these players that teams can ill afford to lose.

One player each college team can not afford to lose...
UCF QB: McKenzie Milton
Wisconsin LB: T.J. Edwards
South Carolina QB: Jake Bentley
Oklahoma RB: Rodney Anderson (life without Baker Mayfield is going to suit the Sooners just fine as long as Anderson stays healthy.)
Florida State RB: Cam Akers
LSU LB: Devin White
Auburn QB: Jarrett Stidham
Washington QB: Jake Browning
Notre Dame LB: Tevon Coney
Texas LB: Breckyn Hager (Without Malik Jefferson as the heart and soul of the Longhorns defense, Hager steps into a featured role this season)
Georgia CB: Deandre Baker
Alabama DL: Raekwon Davis
Michigan DL: Rashan Gary
WVU QB: Will Grier (We've already seen what happens when you take Grier out of the lineup)
Clemson OL: Mitch Hyatt
PSU QB: Trace McSorley
Ohio State QB: Dwayne Haskins
Stanford RB: Bryce Love (Love is the difference between a very good Stanford team and what could be an elite one.)

https://247sports.com/ContentGaller...lege-football-for-2018-118204774/#118204774_9
9+ wins no excuses. Don't wanna hear any injury excuses. 8 years is plenty of time to develop the necessary depth. If a coach can't recruit the players needed to run his system then you don't have the right guy for the job.

Yep, a player that had to set out a year. Doesn't fit your agenda so ignore it.
Which player are you referring too? The transfer from Miami was 3rd on their depth chart. He is unproven and some of the things I've read about him claim he struggles with accuracy. He isn't proven like Greir was. If you watched some of the Qb play out of Miami last year you would'nt be that optimistic.

Last edited:
Absolutely not true. Fake news lol. Good programs with good coaches understand "next man up" and prosper no matter. Not at WVU where the current HC has trouble recruiting, and/or keeping, quality quarterbacks.

Not always true. But if you clicked the link you would know the reasoning of the story.

Hate the guy or love him. I don't care one way or the other. I know I don't have this mythical power some think they have that can fire a coach.

Like I said. Wouldn't miss him if he gets fired. Won't mind it if he is still here.

Chuggs was clearly the number 2 guy that should tell you something about what's currently behind Greir.

What I hear from you is complaints with no comment on a solution. Not that your solution matters to anyone that could do anything about it.

The win over Alabama was with a team Whittingham recruited and look where that Alabama team finished in the polls. The Orange Bowl team was not recruited by DH and that clemson team finshed 23rd with 4 losses. Half the teams you have mentioned on this list are better than arizona state.

I don't buy the crap of players not recruited by the current coach is why they won. If those players where so good the former coach should have won a national championship.

So what you are saying if a new coach gets hired he will have a losing season the first 2 years and possibly 3 because of the players from former coach. Interesting how people forget it can go 2 ways.

Hate the guy or love him. I don't care one way or the other. I know I don't have this mythical power some think they have that can fire a coach.

Don't hate the guy...or think he is great either. Just want the endless string of defining success as middle of the pack to end...and the program move forward. Hell, I hope clueless is successful beyond expectations. However, year after year the team struggles to finish the race. Our collective hope for the season shouldn't boil down to how well Grier does, or if he stays healthy...it should be based upon strength of the program by now. It doesn't.

What I hear from you is complaints with no comment on a solution. Not that your solution matters to anyone that could do anything about it.
What I hear from you is excuses. I have stated on several occasions what i think the solution to the problem is and you don't like it because it's not what you want to hear.

I don't buy the crap of players not recruited by the current coach is why they won. If those players where so good the former coach should have won a national championship.

So what you are saying if a new coach gets hired he will have a losing season the first 2 years and possibly 3 because of the players from former coach. Interesting how people forget it can go 2 ways.
We all know that stewart was'nt a great coach. He never should have gotten the job to begin with how many people get hired at 2am in the morning. There are several reasons coachs are successful. One of the most important is can they recruit the personal to make their system run. Dh has struggled to recruit QB's out of HS. His system depends on a Qb that can make all the throws and for one reason or the another the guy can't land these guys out of HS. Stewarts recruits where able to win and orange bowl. The best Holgorsen's recruits have done is a 1 point win against a 6-6 Pac 12 school.

Don't hate the guy...or think he is great either. Just want the endless string of defining success as middle of the pack to end...and the program move forward. Hell, I hope clueless is successful beyond expectations. However, year after year the team struggles to finish the race. Our collective hope for the season shouldn't boil down to how well Grier does, or if he stays healthy...it should be based upon strength of the program by now. It doesn't.
If this ends up being right there will be quite a bit of Grumbling.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...irginia-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

It’s tougher now than anytime in the past for the Mountaineers to average 8 wins a season. For those who followed the Mounaineers in the 60’s or 70’s, defeating Texas, Oklahoma in the Feista Bowl (yea I know it didn’t exist then , but point being it’s status), or Clemson in the Orange Bowl, would be beyond our wildest dreams. Granted we all want 10 wins or more a season, but we aren’t there yet. And hiring all new coaches to get us there is a slippery slope at this point. Let the season play out, see where we stand, then decide if it’s worth $6,7 million to make a change.

Reactions: burg_eer
Which player are you referring too? The transfer from Miami was 3rd on their depth chart. He is unproven and some of the things I've read about him claim he struggles with accuracy. He isn't proven like Greir was. If you watched some of the Qb play out of Miami last year you would'nt be that optimistic.
I am not sure how a guy is third string if he is not eligible to play. A team's QB play from last year has no bearing on our team. This kid was a freshman at UM two years ago. Not many freshman start at QB. He set out last year and play other teams offenses on the scout team. The reports out from this spring is he has a good grasp of our offense and has shown great improvement. Also Lowe is looking pretty good so far. I really like this kid, being a coaches son and all.

It’s tougher now than anytime in the past for the Mountaineers to average 8 wins a season

So playing two to three games more per year than in the '60s for example make it more "difficult" to win ten games now? Using your logic, a twenty game schedule would be cool...ought to be able to finish 10-10 most years lol.

I am not sure how a guy is third string if he is not eligible to play. A team's QB play from last year has no bearing on our team. This kid was a freshman at UM two years ago. Not many freshman start at QB. He set out last year and play other teams offenses on the scout team. The reports out from this spring is he has a good grasp of our offense and has shown great improvement. Also Lowe is looking pretty good so far. I really like this kid, being a coaches son and all.
He was 3rd string at Miami. He struggled with accuracy and some of the reports still say he struggles in that area. He is also slow. Miami wanted to incoporate more zone reads and this guy did'nt have the mobility to run them. Unless with have good line play this guy will probably struggle that's if he even starts. He is not going to be 2nd coming of will greir.

And to say Spavital's eye for talent at QB is bad is an understatement. Childress, Chugs....Hell. Clint Trickett has recruited better QB's than he has to WVU, and he was a player at the time.
The 8th wonder of the world is why we struggle recruiting Qb's. Texas Tech runs a similiar system to us and they had Mayfied, Mahomes and Davis were on the roster at the same time at one point.

He was 3rd string at Miami. He struggled with accuracy and some of the reports still say he struggles in that area. He is also slow. Miami wanted to incoporate more zone reads and this guy did'nt have the mobility to run them. Unless with have good line play this guy will probably struggle that's if he even starts. He is not going to be 2nd coming of will greir.
He was 3rd string as a freshman. Well that has to mean he sucks. I did not say he is the second coming of Greir but a rather he is an upgrade on Chuggs. Can you keep up?

Oklahoma Heisman winner and #1 pick in the draft. Transfer from Texas Tech.

I can understand that. But it is what it is. When has WVU ever been 2 or 3 deep at all positions?

What I hear from you is excuses. I have stated on several occasions what i think the solution to the problem is and you don't like it because it's not what you want to hear.

I have stated no excuses. It's just what you want to think they are. I do not accept your solution to the problem and you don't like it because it's not what you want hear.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT