ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Holgorsen has established a culture with WVU football program

Haven't read...and can't read...this story, but can agree DH has certainly established a "culture" at WVU lol. We now cheer 7-6 seasons regularly.

Reactions: GoWVU
Haven't read...and can't read...this story, but can agree DH has certainly established a "culture" at WVU lol. We now cheer 7-6 seasons regularly.

This is not a defense of Dana Holgorsen, but I'm trying to figure out which college football program you've been watching and rooting for all of these years. If that program is WVU, then I'm trying to figure out when it is, besides a 3-year blip on the radar from 2005 to 2007, that you think WVU enjoyed prolonged stretches of dominance?

Let's assume you've been cheering on the old gold and blue since Bobby Bowden took over. Bobby went 42-26 in 6 seasons (7 wins per year avg). Then came Frank Cignetti. He went 17-27 in 4 seasons (4.25 wins per year avg). Don Nehlen was next. He went 149-93 in 21 seasons (7 wins per year avg). Rich Rod was next. He went 61-26 in 7 seasons (8.7 wins per year avg). Bill Stewart went 27-12 in 3 seasons (9 wins per year avg). Dana Holgorsen has went 53-37 in 7 seasons (7.5 wins per year avg).

If you were a fan before Bowden took over, you were watching WVU in the 60s, and it was tough sledding in the 60s as WVU won 7 or fewer games, eight of ten years in the decade.

Bowden coached for 6 seasons and won 7 or fewer games in 3 of them.
Cignetti never won 7 games at WVU.
Nehlen coached for 21 seasons and won 7 or fewer games in 12 of those seasons.

Welcome to reality.

Last edited:
This is not a defense of Dana Holgorsen, but I'm trying to figure out which college football program you've been watching and rooting for all of these years. If that program is WVU, then I'm trying to figure out when it is, besides a 3-year blip on the radar from 2005 to 2007, that you think WVU enjoyed prolonged stretches of dominance?

Let's assume you've been cheering on the old gold and blue since Bobby Bowden took over. Bobby went 42-26 in 6 seasons (7 wins per year avg). Then came Frank Cignetti. He went 17-27 in 4 seasons (4.25 wins per year avg). Don Nehlen was next. He went 149-93 in 21 seasons (7 wins per year avg). Rich Rod was next. He went 61-26 in 7 seasons (8.7 wins per year avg). Bill Stewart went 27-16 in 3 seasons (9 wins per year avg). Dana Holgorsen has went 53-37 in 7 seasons (7.5 wins per year avg).

If you were a fan before Bowden took over, you were watching WVU in the 60s, and it was tough sledding in the 60s as WVU won 7 or fewer games, eight of ten years in the decade.

Bowden coached for 6 seasons and won 7 or fewer games in 3 of them.
Cignetti never won 7 games at WVU.
Nehlen coached for 21 seasons and won 7 or fewer games in 12 of those seasons.

Welcome to reality.

Talking with facts and reason are not allowed here.

Furthering your your reasoning...
Jim Carlen 25-13 in 4 seasons 6.25 wins
Gene Corum 29-30 in 6 seasons 4.8
Art Pappy Lewis 58-38 in 10 seasons 5.8 wins

WVU 69 seasons by 9 coaches 469 - 296 games 6.77 wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoogEER

This is exactly the "culture" I fight against...the "let's all be happy being mediocre" mentality. Following your logic, we should all be happy because the University still fields a team. Hey, but then again... why try to get an "A" on a test when a "D" still gets you through the course. You got to demand the best to be the best. Period. Excuses are for babies.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
This is exactly the "culture" I fight against...the "let's all be happy being mediocre" mentality. Following your logic, we should all be happy because the University still fields a team. Hey, but then again... why try to get an "A" on a test when a "D" still gets you through the course. You got to demand the best to be the best. Period. Excuses are for babies.
When Luck fired Stewart he stated that he wanted a guy who could win wvu a national championship. He fired a guy that was winning 9 games a year. If you want to elevate your program then you need someone who gets the most out of it. DH is just average at best. In year 7 He could'nt beat the likes of oklahoma state, Tcu and Va tech. If you can't beat your peers then you're not gonna beat Big Brother. Who knows what Lyons goals are for wvu football but if he's satisfied with 7 wins then why pay more for it. Coach's that win 7 games a year are a dime a dozen. I don't understand why people are so hesitant in giving somone else a try. If Dh fails again this year the only thing we would be losing is a coach who takes wvu to crappy bowl games against pac 12 schools.

Who in the hell is happy with 7 wins? I wasn't defending Holgorsen as I stated in my opening sentence. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit. I simply laid down facts which prove that throughout history, WVU has been a 7 win on avg program. However, cry babies like you don't like dealing in facts. You'd rather bitch and moan. Every WVU fan wants to go undefeated every season. However, some of us that have actually paid attention, understand reality.

Keep fighting the good fight Root. You will surely help us win a title with your attitude alone.

When Luck fired Stewart he stated that he wanted a guy who could win wvu a national championship. He fired a guy that was winning 9 games a year. If you want to elevate your program then you need someone who gets the most out of it. DH is just average at best. In year 7 He could'nt beat the likes of oklahoma state, Tcu and Va tech. If you can't beat your peers then you're not gonna beat Big Brother. Who knows what Lyons goals are for wvu football but if he's satisfied with 7 wins then why pay more for it. Coach's that win 7 games a year are a dime a dozen. I don't understand why people are so hesitant in giving somone else a try. If Dh fails again this year the only thing we would be losing is a coach who takes wvu to crappy bowl games against pac 12 schools.

Give us your short list of names who are realistic options that you would consider an upgrade.

Give us your short list of names who are realistic options that you would consider an upgrade.
There is and up and comer every year. Some work out and some don't that's the way it is and that's the way its always been. DH was one of the hottest names the year he was hired along with muschamp and none of these guys have turned out to be the coach's they were billed out to be. Changing coach's doesn't guarantee success but it can't hurt to try when all you have now is a guy who produces middle of the pack results and take us to crappy bowl games.

BTW Every coach was an unproven commidity at some point in their career.

Last edited:
If you think Stewart is winning 9 games in the B12...I'm a jet pilot.
Luck hired Holgorsen stating he wanted a guy who coud win Wvu a national championship. That means being better than any of the other power 5 conference champions. The guy we have now can't even beat a 6-6 pac 12 team in year 7. What was the Pac 12's bowl record last season?

Reactions: Rootmaster
We get it. You don't know shit about the history of Mountaineer football. Have your mom stick your binky in your mouth before you start crying again.
Every one knows since the beginning of Nehlen the program has been around the 7 win mark. The question is when are we going to strive for better than that. If 7 wins is ok then don't pay any more for it. Coachs that can win 7 games a season are a dime a dozen.

Reactions: Rootmaster
There is and up and comer every year. Some work out and some don't that's the way it is and that's the way its always been. DH was one of the hottest names the year he was hired along with muschamp and none of these guys have turned out to be the coach's they were billed out to be. Changing coach's doesn't guarantee success but it can't hurt to try when all you have now is a guy who produces middle of the pack results and take us to crappy bowl games.
Unless you are Pitt were their ceiling is 7 wins. We could change coaches every two to three years and see more losing seasons than winning ones. I do think if DH only wins 7 games this year, he will be on a very hot seat.

Unless you are Pitt were their ceiling is 7 wins. We could change coaches every two to three years and see more losing seasons than winning ones. I do think if DH only wins 7 games this year, he will be on a very hot seat.
Like it or not our program isn't much better than Pitts. Pitt beat miami last year and clemson the year before that. We haven't had a quality win since 2014. Remember Pitt wanted Holgorsen and the success they have had hiring coach's should have told wvu something.

With the team we have and the schedule we play this year anything less than 9 wins would be a failure.

Which is precisely why those folks saying it is the same today as before are full of it. With the automatic bowl games the Mountaineers play 13 now and still manage 7 wins. Just want to see some improvement.

Since 1980 there have only been 8 seasons in which WVU did not play at least 12 football games. They played 11 games in those 8 seasons. WVU has consistently played 13 game seasons since 2006. Statistically speaking, there's very little difference.

But hey.. you're batting 1000. You're never right.

Since 1980 there have only been 8 seasons in which WVU did not play at least 12 football games. They played 11 games in those 8 seasons. WVU has consistently played 13 game seasons since 2006. Statistically speaking, there's very little difference.

But hey.. you're batting 1000. You're never right.
But the number of games played is so small there is a somewhat significant difference when you play an additional game or two. There are many things to take into consideration when looking at coaching records and that's one that should be included.

But the number of games played is so small there is a somewhat significant difference when you play an additional game or two. There are many things to take into consideration when looking at coaching records and that's one that should be included.

I get that. We are discussing avg wins per year. Rootmaster and evidently, some others here, feel that DH is vastly underperforming in comparison to prior coaches when it comes to how many games are won each year. I'm simply reminding people that other than a three-year stretch with RR, WVU has historically been pretty mediocre and DH is performing on a level which is at least comparable to those who preceded him in terms of wins per year.

Also, If you're going to take the extra game into account when evaluating coaches, shouldn't you also have to take into account the step up in competition?

Also, If you're going to take the extra game into account when evaluating coaches, shouldn't you also have to take into account the step up in competition?
Sure but then you also have to consider that the increased competition is due to being in a better conference. And what follows being in a better conference, your recruiting should improve.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
You absolutely have that part right lol. Cost per win is considerably higher these days don't you think...or do you ever? You are a hoot!

And you're dumber than dirt. I have stated more than once that I'm not defending DH. I'm simply posting statistics which PROVE that when it comes to avg wins per season, he's comparable.

Has he been a home run? Absolutely not.

Sure but then you also have to consider that the increased competition is due to being in a better conference. And what follows being in a better conference, your recruiting should improve.

I get that as well. There are several things to look at when evaluating coaches. I'm not impressed by his recruiting. In fact I am underwhelmed. Let me be clear, ...I do not think DH has been a great hire.

But ....are you disagreeing that historically, WVU has been a 7-8 win program?

I get that as well. There are several things to look at when evaluating coaches. I'm not impressed by his recruiting. In fact I am underwhelmed. Let me be clear, ...I do not think DH has been a great hire.

But ....are you disagreeing that historically, WVU has been a 7-8 win program?
I'm not really trying to make a point at all about Dana. I was just reading along and pointed out a few things that I think are relevant to the conversation.

Reactions: burg_eer
Burg...I realize that some folks think we are stuck in a perpetual state of "so so" and that is okay...maybe that's why you agree with them. I, for all the hype related to the hiring of DH and the move into the "big time", feel that for the king's ransom paid to DH and staff, increased profile for recruiting, national attention, improved facilities, and huge volume of football related revenues...WVU football under DH is not improving. In fact, given the time to put "his system" in place and recruit "his players" in conjunction with increased number of games, the program under the Iowa Mountaineer is going backwards.

Burg...I realize that some folks think we are stuck in a perpetual state of "so so" and that is okay...maybe that's why you agree with them. I, for all the hype related to the hiring of DH and the move into the "big time", feel that for the king's ransom paid to DH and staff, increased profile for recruiting, national attention, improved facilities, and huge volume of football related revenues...WVU football under DH is not improving. In fact, given the time to put "his system" in place and recruit "his players" in conjunction with increased number of games, the program under the Iowa Mountaineer is going backwards.

This is an entirely different conversation. If you're wanting an overall evaluation of DH and the program, I'd say our views are parallel. I am not impressed.

You stated that WVU fans are forced to regularly cheer 7-6 seasons now. I simply pointed out that historically, WVU is a 7-8 win per year program.

Like it or not our program isn't much better than Pitts. Pitt beat miami last year and clemson the year before that. We haven't had a quality win since 2014. Remember Pitt wanted Holgorsen and the success they have had hiring coach's should have told wvu something.
Pitt won some big games while lossing to some real turds. No we are not down at the same level as Pitt dispite them having a couple of upsets.

With the team we have and the schedule we play this year anything less than 9 wins would be a failure.
I actually agree with you on this. I think 9 is the line to measure from. But don't dog the schedule with 11 P5 teams on it. UT sucks but NC State is a pretty good team.

Pitt won some big games while lossing to some real turds. No we are not down at the same level as Pitt dispite them having a couple of upsets.
There isn't much difference between Pitts program and Wvu's. We just lost to a 6-6 Utah program from the worst conference in the power 5. That was a turd loss if there was one. The current trajectory of the wvu program is beat the weak, split with the average and get devoured by the strong. We are only slightly better than Pitt like it or not.

I actually agree with you on this. I think 9 is the line to measure from. But don't dog the schedule with 11 P5 teams on it. UT sucks but NC State is a pretty good team.
I think anything less than 9-3 should be considered a failure. We have an experienced QB back along with a ton of experience on the O Line and a better than average receiving core. I don't expect the schedule to be easy but we play 3 Blue bloods. Tennessee, Texas and Oklahoma and only Oklahoma is performing at the level they should. The other teams we play are not Blue bloods and the majority of them will be in rebuild mode. The 3 most likely losses will be Oklahoma, Texas and Nc state on the road. After that there is no reason we can't beat the rest if this coachs is the guy he is billed out to be..

Reactions: SeronimusPratt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT